Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do any nonhuman earthly animals recognize/believe in God's existence or pray to Him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any nonhuman earthly animals recognize/believe in God's existence or pray to Him?

"Who knoweth if the spirit of the children of Adam ascend upward, and if the spirit of the beasts descend downward?"
    Ecclesiastes 3:21

Yes
    9.09%
    No
    45.45%
    Other
    45.45%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by rakovsky; 06-06-2016, 10:46 AM.

I don't really see how this is a scientific topic.

That being said, I voted "other". Animals aren't sapient, so they certainly can't pray. Assuming God does exist, though, I suppose it's possible they could subconsciously recognize God for who They are.
    "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

We do not have access to mental states. Any statement either way would be one of belief not knowledge.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

If Jesus could calm the waves and a donkey could talk in the OT, then I say yeah. As far as praying? I don't think so. I think all of God's creations can recognize him in their own way, even atheists.

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
          I don't really see how this is a scientific topic.

I thought about putting it under animal husbandry.
          I could put it under theology, but I did not mean it as a strictly doctrinal question, but wanted to see if people had some personal insights. As a purely doctrinal question, you can look at the story of Balaam's ass or the animals who saw God in Eden and propose as a matter of doctrine that their recognizing God exists has happened at some point.

Let me know if you think of a better section though.

Comment

Originally posted by duragizer View Post
            i don't really see how this is a scientific topic.

That being said, i voted "other". Animals aren't sapient, so they certainly can't pray. Assuming god does exist, though, i suppose it's possible they could subconsciously recognize god for who they are.
            btw, duragizer and others, thanks for your replies.

Comment

I would be interested in seeing why some people might think that they do believe or pray.

Last edited by rakovsky; 06-06-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                We do not have access to mental states. Any statement either way would be one of belief not knowledge.
                Some people claim they have a power to talk with animals lucidly. I am skeptical.

Comment

I doubt that any animals actually pray to God. They may do so metaphorically, but no more than the rocks, hills, sun, and moon (e.g. Psalm 148). But while animals don't pray together, they do prey together
                  image.jpeg
                  "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Answer would have been different if you'd written "...a god..." instead of "...God..."
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.
                    MM on climate change: Looking at the historical temperature data in my region over the past ten years shows that temperatures have been stable ...

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Comment

Originally posted by rakovsky View Post
                      Some people claim they have a power to talk with animals lucidly. I am skeptical.
                      Which is wise.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        Which is wise.
                        I talk to our dog lucidly all the time. He doesn't talk back to me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          I talk to our dog lucidly all the time.
                          What a strange name for a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                            wasn't there a Beatles song about that dog? Lucidly in the sky with Diamonds?

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                              I can picture it now. After the dog makes a mess, Crawfish saying...

000000000000rr.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment