Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hey Seer, check this out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Seer, check this out!

The first grader, identified only as C, has gained attention from his friends at school with the encouraging notes containing Bible verses that his mother packed alongside his lunch. His friends requested for their own Bible verses so the boy's mother made more copies for him to give out at school.

On April 18, a teacher restricted the handout only at the school gate and after classes as she cited separation of church and state. C was also reprimanded in two instances in front of the whole class and sent home in tears.

Hours before the sheriff made a visit at 4:30 p.m., Principal Melanie Pagliaro completely banned the Bible-sharing which she said was against school policy, seeing how children still crowded over the Bible notes at the school gate after the bell rang.

http://christiantimes.com/article/sc...rses/56548.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/...le-verses.html

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/06/06...t-bible-verses
    *Waits for all you liberal freaks here at Tweb to defend this*

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    *Waits for all you liberal freaks here at Tweb to defend this*
    Right, but the libtarts don't restrict speech! Amazing!

"The deputy went on to tell the parents that the school was worried that someone might be offended by the Bible verses."

Oh the horror - someone might be offended!!!!!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Even the ACLU defends the students in cases like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Even the ACLU defends the students in cases like this.
        The question is, how and why did we get to this point? It certainly is not the conservatives that are driving this.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          The question is, how and why did we get to this point? It certainly is not the conservatives that are driving this.
          A lot of it is general misunderstanding about what is or isn't allowed.

A lot of it is fear.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post

A lot of it is fear.
            Right, and who is causing that fear? Who is always threatening to sue?

Comment

Right, and who is causing that fear? Who is always threatening to sue?
              Litigiousness is the general nature of our society these days.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

A lot of it is fear.
                Fear of what?
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  Fear of what?
                  Lawsuits.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Litigiousness is the general nature of our society these days.
                    In these cases of speech, especially religious speech, it is the left that is doing the suing.

Comment

Perhaps, but I believe it's rooted in some misguided sense that Christianity is except from "free speech".

A lot of it is fear.
                      Even in the late 80's, yes, I saw a lot of dumb decisions made by school administrations afraid to be sued if they allowed, for example, student led prayer.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In these cases of speech, especially religious speech, it is the left that is doing the suing.
                        Which is hardly the only issue schools face when it comes to lawsuits. I don't recall actually seeing any lawsuits on the matter, though.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Perhaps, but I believe it's rooted in some misguided sense that Christianity is except from "free speech".
                          You'll have to explain that better. Why would religious discussion not fall under free speech?

Even in the late 80's, yes, I saw a lot of dumb decisions made by school administrations afraid to be sued if they allowed, for example, student led prayer.
                          That time period predates me slightly, but I've seen similar before.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

You'll have to explain that better. Why would religious discussion not fall under free speech?
                            At the time (80's) there were a lot of lawsuits and threats of lawsuits about "school supported" Christian clubs on school campus. There came a whole wave of "what's school supported" arguments, including "if it happens on school campus, it's school supported" to "if it's led by students without faculty involved, it's NOT school supported", etc...

While all this was being sorted out, a lot of school administrators (including ours at the time) thought it "safer" just not to have any Christian groups at all, so as to avoid litigation. He ended up getting his pants sued off him.

What came down as "the policy", though not always followed, was that "Christian clubs" should be treated no differently than chess clubs or math clubs or history clubs.

That time period predates me slightly, but I've seen similar before.
                            Sometimes it gets silly - like the students can have a "faculty advisor", but they can't let him participate in praying. On the other hand, some districts had policies where clubs could not meet without a faculty advisor involved.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

At the time (80's) there were a lot of lawsuits and threats of lawsuits about "school supported" Christian clubs on school campus. There came a whole wave of "what's school supported" arguments, including "if it happens on school campus, it's school supported" to "if it's led by students without faculty involved, it's NOT school supported", etc...
                              Ah, yeah. I remember a lot of that fuss now. Helps to have a parent that is a teacher.

While all this was being sorted out, a lot of school administrators (including ours at the time) thought it "safer" just not to have any Christian groups at all, so as to avoid litigation. He ended up getting his pants sued off him.

Sometimes it gets silly - like the students can have a "faculty advisor", but they can't let him participate in praying. On the other hand, some districts had policies where clubs could not meet without a faculty advisor involved.
                              Yeah. I remember, too, it getting really silly about who could or couldn't pray before a football game. Then they started the shift to "moments of silence" which seemed even goofier. If you're not gonna do something real, just don't do anything.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment