Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Income tips?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Income tips?

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for little things to do to earn or save a little extra money. My expectations here are reasonable, so don't think that I'm hoping to make a fortune on the side or anything.

Some things we already do:

1. I have a full-time job, for one thing, so anything I find would have to work around that.
    2. My wife coupons, and she does it very well. She probably spends less on groceries per capita than anyone I know (and probably anyone you know, too).
    3. She also works in the church nursery, in a leadership position. It's a low-hours part-time job.
    4. I donate plasma. This isn't a big deal, and it's not exactly reliable income. If I get sick, for example, I can't donate, and I take a break from it every once in a while anyway.
    5. As for general money-saving: we virtually never eat out, we don't get TV, we don't buy much in general, I have no qualms with going to Goodwill for clothes, and until a couple months ago I was still wearing a pair of pants that I got for free in college, like 8 years ago. So we're not big spenders.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

tWebber
    Faith
    Theistic, of sorts
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you buy any meat with bones in it, don't throw the bones away. Always save them to make soups and stocks. You can essentially double the amount of meals you get out of one purchase by doing this.

Don't leave anything plugged into an electrical outlet unless you're using it. So don't just turn off lamps before you go to bed, actually go and unplug them from the socket. Do the same for computers, radios, and other electrical appliances.

I don't know what kind of you place you live in, or how conducive the Montana environment is for this, but...you could try getting some seeds and growing your own food in a backyard garden or something. If successful, you could then save the seeds from those and keep growing more foods.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

3. Amen Zymologist, Chaotic Void amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by fm93 View Post
    If you buy any meat with bones in it, don't throw the bones away. Always save them to make soups and stocks. You can essentially double the amount of meals you get out of one purchase by doing this.

Don't leave anything plugged into an electrical outlet unless you're using it. So don't just turn off lamps before you go to bed, actually go and unplug them from the socket. Do the same for computers, radios, and other electrical appliances.

I don't know what kind of you place you live in, or how conducive the Montana environment is for this, but...you could try getting some seeds and growing your own food in a backyard garden or something. If successful, you could then save the seeds from those and keep growing more foods.
    We're working on growing some tomatoes and peppers in our little garden in the back, now that we actually have our own place. We're hoping to can our own salsa with it, among other things.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

5. Amen fm93 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Grow your own veggies in a backyard or even on a balcony in pots. I like to grow hot pepper, but I am thinking of expanding.
    Sell stuff on craigslist or ebay or on various craft sites. old stuff you don't use any more. Or even make stuff. My sister in law makes those corn filled heating pads. They cost about 15 cents to make and sells for like $5.

and have your wife check out an app called Ibotta (IOS and Android) - it pays cash for buying various food items, like coupons, but it actually pays you money, usually 25 -50 cents per item.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Grow your own veggies in a backyard or even on a balcony in pots. I like to grow hot pepper, but I am thinking of expanding.
    Sell stuff on craigslist or ebay or on various craft sites. old stuff you don't use any more. Or even make stuff. My sister in law makes those corn filled heating pads. They cost about 15 cents to make and sells for like $5.

and have your wife check out an app called Ibotta (IOS and Android) - it pays cash for buying various food items, like coupons, but it actually pays you money, usually 25 -50 cents per item.
    Wouldn't those pop in the microwave?

Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How in the world does unplugging save any money?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    It uses less electricity that way. As long as there is a connection there is power flow. Some devices actually use more when off than on when plugged in from what I understand.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    It uses less electricity that way. As long as there is a connection there is power flow. Some devices actually use more when off than on when plugged in from what I understand.
    Yeah. I think it's really minimal, but it would save electricity.

11. Amen Carrikature amen'd this post.
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    A lot of devices nowadays (especially TV's and the like) when you turn them off, they're not really off, they're just on standby (which as brum says can use more power)
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

13. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've heard that small engine repair can be fairly lucrative. It's not uncommon for people to dispose of old mowers and the like that often just need a good cleaning. Buy them cheap, clean/repair them, and sell the refurbished engine on craigslist. It's not much of a time commitment, either.

There's a place here in town that refinishes old furniture and sells the finished product at pretty low cost. There can be a steady flow of that thanks to all the college kids wanting cheap furniture but not wanting to take it with them after graduation.
    I'm not here anymore.