Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Unbiased study essentially shows liberals are social undesirables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    This sort of insistence is only hurting your case.

If you're interested in serious discussion about the study, drop the 'us vs them' bit. It's not that hard.
    If that's how you interpret the title, then I didn't make it an "us vs. them." They did. I didn't put "those who generally hold to a more liberal response," which is how they phrased it, because it was way too long. And, so far, I haven't really seen any serious discussion, just a bunch of butthurt liberals sore about how I phrased the title.

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
      Hmm, I wonder what the Bible says about people who are considered social undesirables:

Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did.
      Matthew 21:31-32
      Psst... I'm pretty sure that's NOT the definition the study used.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

This sort of insistence is only hurting your case.

If you're interested in serious discussion about the study, drop the 'us vs them' bit. It's not that hard.
        It was funny. The pathetic part is that those taking issue never bothered to look at the study. For all anyone but Sean knows, the study could be valid or invalid. He's the only one that seems to have bothered to read it - yet people are arguing against it.

For me, I think it's funny. But I'm not very interested in a study that starts off with a methodological error in its definitions - and I haven't even gotten to the 'social undesirables' thing. Both terms are charged and should never have been used - which makes me wonder what the authors were up to - or if they were really that desperate. Either way, I can think of more productive uses of time.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          If that's how you interpret the title, then I didn't make it an "us vs. them." They did. I didn't put "those who generally hold to a more liberal response," which is how they phrased it, because it was way too long. And, so far, I haven't really seen any serious discussion, just a bunch of butthurt liberals sore about how I phrased the title.
          Oh now, don't kid yourself. That title was designed to start a fight and you know it.

You were no more interested in debate than the rest of them were.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            That you keep accusing people of being in any way perturbed by it and telling them to calm down is evidence that you see this thread mostly as a way of trying to elicit a strong reaction. That's the very definition of trolling, and that you have continually assumed that it got the reaction you were looking for is further evidence of your intention.
            No, it isn't. Going for a strong reaction isn't trolling; starting a fight and watching the fireworks from the sidelines is. He wasn't interested in debate, obviously, but neither are you. However, he isn't trolling, either. That term is much too overused by those who react strongly but are unwilling to actually get into the fight.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Also, what's supposed to be on the 's head? It doesn't look like anything to me.
              It's a bridge - you find trolls under bridges. Especially if you happen to be a billy goat...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                It's hair. The smilie is a reference to troll dolls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_doll
                Boom couldn't have gotten it that wrong...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  It's a bridge - you find trolls under bridges. Especially if you happen to be a billy goat...
                  That makes more sense looking at the image lol.

Comment

It was funny. The pathetic part is that those taking issue never bothered to look at the study. For all anyone but Sean knows, the study could be valid or invalid. He's the only one that seems to have bothered to read it - yet people are arguing against it.
                    Not a warranted assumption on any level.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

It looks as much like a bridge as it does hair.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        Don't be ridiculous. "Studies show X does Y" is inherently 'us vs them', especially in this forum and people's general knowledge of your views.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

There have been plenty of those threads posted especially in the apologetics section slamming Christians that actually were intent on trolling, yet I've never had the urge to give an emotional response until after I read the OP (that is, if I was even interested which I'm usually not). If people want to jump in a thread and and make an ass of themselves without reading the information carefully first because their feewings got hurt and suspect they're getting attacked, that's on them

Comment

Not a warranted assumption on any level.
                            Sure it is. Read the thread - ninety percent of the argument is about the title of the thread and from that the content of the study.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It looks as much like a bridge as it does hair.
                              Not really - the troll dolls you're talking about had hair all around their heads.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment