Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Control vs. Trust in Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Last time it was looked at, the Supreme Court stated that access to military weapons wasn't within the purview of protections. Safe to say that counts as limiting firearm capabilities.

Contrary to popular belief these days, you don't need more bullets. You need better aim. Those of us who know better know that people with practice aren't really hampered by capacity limits anyway. You know that.
    So why are you even trying to argue about having clip limits when we both know that is just silly? Plus, with millions of 'high capacity' clips out there, how are you going to collect all of them and prevent their illegal circulation?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Opposition to stricter gun regulations is generally associated with conservatism. So is support for police.

Support for stricter gun regulations is similarly correlated with the Left, which of late has cultivated a certain distrust of police.
      Pretty much, yeah.

Are these each contradictory positions? They certainly don't correlate the way one might expect at first.

Why are the people who suspect the government of trying to take their guns, or think their own guns are a bulwark against possible tyranny also the people who support the military and police most enthusiastically?
      Just off the top of my head, "police" is generally locally controlled (in most of the situations that appear to be in question) and military is generally "over there" defending us.

Why are the people who think that police are the only people who should be trusted with guns also the people who seem to distrust the police?
      Interesting question.

These aren't originally my thoughts; I saw them once before through Facebook, then was recently reminded of them again and figured someone here might be able to give a satisfactory resolution to these seeming contradictions.
      I think conservatives generally like "order", and.... I'm curious why you don't say "liberals" or... why "conservatives" and "the left"?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
        Generally speaking though it's true. They're questions I've often wondered myself. Especially the Republican side. They seem to abhor big government, but strangely embrace the police state when it has to do with military or police or counter terrorism agencies.
        I don't think most conservatives have a problem with local government, and local law enforcement is not considered "the police state". In fact, many of the people with whom I associate support a requirement that federal law enforcement be required to check with a local sheriff before coming into that sheriff's jurisdiction to make arrests or "amass troops".
        Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-25-2016, 09:03 AM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          They are the true big government advocates when you look at the things they advocate.
          Meh.... I think most of us prefer state's rights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Plus, what sort of 'conservatism' are we talking about? It isn't as though there isn't different flavors of conservatives.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

That's because we're closet Confederates racists.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                So why are you even trying to argue about having clip limits when we both know that is just silly? Plus, with millions of 'high capacity' clips out there, how are you going to collect all of them and prevent their illegal circulation?
                Because placing a limit on capacity isn't unconstitutional, nor does it render the weapon useless. Sparko was claiming otherwise.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• magazines!

Comment

Because placing a limit on capacity isn't unconstitutional, nor does it render the weapon useless. Sparko was claiming otherwise.
                    I said you cant restrict the capacity to the point of making it useless. Like a magazine of only one bullet for a semi-auto rifle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I said you cant restrict the capacity to the point of making it useless. Like a magazine of only one bullet for a semi-auto rifle.
                      Says who? Nothing says semi-auto weapons have to be allowed, after all.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

magazines!
                        Given that they're regularly called both by all involved, this seems a pointless outburst. I've grown up with both clips and magazines as the terminology. They're both valid.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Says who? Nothing says semi-auto weapons have to be allowed, after all.
                          Yeah let's restrict all firearms to muskets. Or better yet, B-B guns. Nothing says that the guns have to fire lethal ammo. Nothing except the intent of the constitution.

Comment

Given that they're regularly called both by all involved, this seems a pointless outburst. I've grown up with both clips and magazines as the terminology. They're both valid.
                            Oh, because YOU grew up with magazines regularly being called "clips", it's OK. They're called "clips" by people who don't know much about firearms.

Comment

A lot of folks mistakenly refer to long arms like the AR-15 as "assault rifles" and "automatic weapons" but doing so does not make it valid and only leads to confusion.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                A lot of folks mistakenly refer to long arms like the AR-15 as "assault rifles" and "automatic weapons" but doing so does not make it valid and only leads to confusion.
                                I suspect in many cases, particularly in the media and by the anti-gun crowd, this is done purposely, not ignorantly.

Comment