Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Homosexuality Is Immoral.

  1. #1
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,435
    Amen (Given)
    1080
    Amen (Received)
    4117

    Homosexuality Is Immoral.

    It violates God's created order for human sexuality. It is a sin, if not repented of, that is worthy judgement - possible eternal separation from God. Does this firmly held belief make me a bigot? Homophobic? If so why?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await our execution...

  2. #2
    41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,747
    Amen (Given)
    4734
    Amen (Received)
    1813
    Why is this in Civics?

  3. #3
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,392
    Amen (Given)
    843
    Amen (Received)
    2476
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    It violates God's created order for human sexuality. It is a sin, if not repented of, that is worthy judgement - possible eternal separation from God. Does this firmly held belief make me a bigot? Homophobic? If so why?
    Since a bigot is someone who is intolerant or hateful towards a group of people, and I presume you treat gay people with respect, I don't see why its bigoted. And if you don't show prejudice, or negative stereotypes, or perpetuate false information about gay people, I don't see why you should be called homophobic.

  4. #4
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,435
    Amen (Given)
    1080
    Amen (Received)
    4117
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Since a bigot is someone who is intolerant or hateful towards a group of people, and I presume you treat gay people with respect, I don't see why its bigoted. And if you don't show prejudice, or negative stereotypes, or perpetuate false information about gay people, I don't see why you should be called homophobic.
    Won't the very fact that I hold their behavior to be immoral on religious beliefs qualify me as a bigot - at least? And yes, over the years I have had a number of gay friends and relatives. I have always treated them with kindness and respect.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await our execution...

  5. #5
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,392
    Amen (Given)
    843
    Amen (Received)
    2476
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Won't the very fact that I hold their behavior to be immoral on religious beliefs qualify me as a bigot - at least? And yes, over the years I have had a number of gay friends and relatives. I have always treated them with kindness and respect.
    To me it would only depend on whether you treated them differently. Mind you I do think there are some real issues with bigotry against gay people in Christian communities seer. I've heard of parents disowning their children etc... nasty stuff. And there's some bad myths being perpetuated uncritically. Stuff like that I'll call bigotry and homophobic without hesitation. In as much as you don't participate in that stuff, you're neither.

  6. #6
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,435
    Amen (Given)
    1080
    Amen (Received)
    4117
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    To me it would only depend on whether you treated them differently. Mind you I do think there are some real issues with bigotry against gay people in Christian communities seer. I've heard of parents disowning their children etc... nasty stuff. And there's some bad myths being perpetuated uncritically. Stuff like that I'll call bigotry and homophobic without hesitation. In as much as you don't participate in that stuff, you're neither.
    It is funny, I have been a Christian for 26 years and have attended some pretty fundamentalist Churches but never really heard that kind of bigotry - besides the standard sin stuff. But in a sense, since I do not believe a culture should embrace this behavior, I have been against Gay Marriage for instance - which would be treating them differently in law.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await our execution...

  7. #7
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle Earth, New Zealand
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,992
    Amen (Given)
    2419
    Amen (Received)
    2860
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    It is funny, I have been a Christian for 26 years and have attended some pretty fundamentalist Churches but never really heard that kind of bigotry - besides the standard sin stuff. But in a sense, since I do not believe a culture should embrace this behavior, I have been against Gay Marriage for instance - which would be treating them differently in law.
    I do know a gay couple (errr well they were a couple, recently split up) where the one's father has completely disowned him. So it does happen. (his father is a regte Afrikaaner attending the NG Kerk which if you know about it, explains a lot)
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info


    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

  8. #8
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,435
    Amen (Given)
    1080
    Amen (Received)
    4117
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    I do know a gay couple (errr well they were a couple, recently split up) where the one's father has completely disowned him. So it does happen. (his father is a regte Afrikaaner attending the NG Kerk which if you know about it, explains a lot)
    No doubt, I had a friend who's father disowned him, but not on religious grounds. His dad was real macho.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await our execution...

  9. #9
    High Priestess of the Pot Stirrers ke7ejx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,306
    Amen (Given)
    666
    Amen (Received)
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Why is this in Civics?
    I don't know, but I wonder the same thing. This seems more of an apologetics thing to me...
    I am Punkinhead.

    "I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

    ~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

  10. #10
    41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    5,747
    Amen (Given)
    4734
    Amen (Received)
    1813
    Quote Originally Posted by ke7ejx View Post
    I don't know, but I wonder the same thing. This seems more of an apologetics thing to me...
    More like ethics. It's there now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •