Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homosexuality Is Immoral.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Homosexuality Is Immoral.

It violates God's created order for human sexuality. It is a sin, if not repented of, that is worthy judgement - possible eternal separation from God. Does this firmly held belief make me a bigot? Homophobic? If so why?
    "Heaven offers nothing that the mercenary soul can desire. It is safe to tell the pure in heart that they shall see God, for only the pure in heart want to. There are rewards that do not sully motives. A man's love for a woman is not mercenary because he wants to marry her, nor his love for poetry mercenary because he wants to read it, nor his love of exercise less disinterested because he wants to run and leap and walk. Love, by definition, seeks to enjoy its object. C.S. Lewis

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why is this in Civics?

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    It violates God's created order for human sexuality. It is a sin, if not repented of, that is worthy judgement - possible eternal separation from God. Does this firmly held belief make me a bigot? Homophobic? If so why?
    Since a bigot is someone who is intolerant or hateful towards a group of people, and I presume you treat gay people with respect, I don't see why its bigoted. And if you don't show prejudice, or negative stereotypes, or perpetuate false information about gay people, I don't see why you should be called homophobic.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Since a bigot is someone who is intolerant or hateful towards a group of people, and I presume you treat gay people with respect, I don't see why its bigoted. And if you don't show prejudice, or negative stereotypes, or perpetuate false information about gay people, I don't see why you should be called homophobic.
    Won't the very fact that I hold their behavior to be immoral on religious beliefs qualify me as a bigot - at least? And yes, over the years I have had a number of gay friends and relatives. I have always treated them with kindness and respect.
    "Heaven offers nothing that the mercenary soul can desire. It is safe to tell the pure in heart that they shall see God, for only the pure in heart want to. There are rewards that do not sully motives. A man's love for a woman is not mercenary because he wants to marry her, nor his love for poetry mercenary because he wants to read it, nor his love of exercise less disinterested because he wants to run and leap and walk. Love, by definition, seeks to enjoy its object. C.S. Lewis

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Won't the very fact that I hold their behavior to be immoral on religious beliefs qualify me as a bigot - at least? And yes, over the years I have had a number of gay friends and relatives. I have always treated them with kindness and respect.
    To me it would only depend on whether you treated them differently. Mind you I do think there are some real issues with bigotry against gay people in Christian communities seer. I've heard of parents disowning their children etc... nasty stuff. And there's some bad myths being perpetuated uncritically. Stuff like that I'll call bigotry and homophobic without hesitation. In as much as you don't participate in that stuff, you're neither.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    To me it would only depend on whether you treated them differently. Mind you I do think there are some real issues with bigotry against gay people in Christian communities seer. I've heard of parents disowning their children etc... nasty stuff. And there's some bad myths being perpetuated uncritically. Stuff like that I'll call bigotry and homophobic without hesitation. In as much as you don't participate in that stuff, you're neither.
    It is funny, I have been a Christian for 26 years and have attended some pretty fundamentalist Churches but never really heard that kind of bigotry - besides the standard sin stuff. But in a sense, since I do not believe a culture should embrace this behavior, I have been against Gay Marriage for instance - which would be treating them differently in law.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is funny, I have been a Christian for 26 years and have attended some pretty fundamentalist Churches but never really heard that kind of bigotry - besides the standard sin stuff. But in a sense, since I do not believe a culture should embrace this behavior, I have been against Gay Marriage for instance - which would be treating them differently in law.
    I do know a gay couple (errr well they were a couple, recently split up) where the one's father has completely disowned him. So it does happen. (his father is a regte Afrikaaner attending the NG Kerk which if you know about it, explains a lot)
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    I do know a gay couple (errr well they were a couple, recently split up) where the one's father has completely disowned him. So it does happen. (his father is a regte Afrikaaner attending the NG Kerk which if you know about it, explains a lot)
    No doubt, I had a friend who's father disowned him, but not on religious grounds. His dad was real macho.

High Priestess of the Pot Stirrers ke7ejx's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Why is this in Civics?
    I don't know, but I wonder the same thing. This seems more of an apologetics thing to me...
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ke7ejx View Post
    I don't know, but I wonder the same thing. This seems more of an apologetics thing to me...
    More like ethics. It's there now.