Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Homosexuality Is Immoral.

  1. #11
    Professor Catholicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the neighbor of the yellow brick road
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,695
    Amen (Given)
    1057
    Amen (Received)
    1477
    I think homosexual actions are immoral. However I know many people who are "gay" that are celibate and I do not consider that immoral nor do I consider that they identify as gay immoral especially since they practice celibacy and avoid sexual immorality. However, since we are on it. There are all kinds of sexual immorality and I believe each sexual sin is the same as the other and no two are different. If as Christians we accuse homosexuals of being outside of the fullness of grace then neither is it acceptable to have sex outside of marriage, extra marital affairs and those who do are also outside the fullness of grace and cannot be classified as "orthodox" Christians as long as they are living in sin. Ok off my soap box.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

  2. Amen Jedidiah, Adrift amen'd this post.
  3. #12
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    634
    Amen (Given)
    118
    Amen (Received)
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghead View Post
    Well, there sure must be a lot of unorthodox Christians out there, because studies show many Christians, if not the vast majority, have participated in the sexual practices you condemn. So much for the failure of orthodoxy to come to grips with the realities of human sexuality.
    Why would you think "orthodoxy" -- or perhaps better "orthopraxy" -- should come to grips with these alleged "realities"? Orthodoxy and orthopraxy are about the ways things *should* be, whether or not they commonly *are*.
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

  4. #13
    Thanks Old Man... Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,285
    Amen (Given)
    6752
    Amen (Received)
    7027
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghead View Post
    In theology, "orthodox" also means conventional or traditional. I know that much conventional religious teaching on sex was in fact homophobic and repressive.
    The entire history of the orthodox church has been that homosexual behavior is incompatible with Christianity. There is absolutely no arguing against that, especially trying to use the decayed relativism of today's western churches.


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  5. Amen LostSheep, Adrift, Cerebrum123, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  6. #14
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,304
    Amen (Given)
    2766
    Amen (Received)
    15950
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghead View Post
    What do you take to be "God's created order for human sexuality"? If your argument is that God created sexuality purely for the purposes of human reproduction, you are sadly mistaken. Among humans and other species, sexuality serves a many purposes other than mere reproduction. Among humans, the amount of sexual arousal we are naturally inclined to experience, as well as the amount of sperm produced by use males, far exceeds the amount necessary for reproduction. This is also true of other species. That, and that alone, is a powerful natural revelation that sex serves purposes other than mere reproduction.

    If you are trying to argue you aren't homophobic, forget it. You probably are. We all are. We have all been raised in a very sexually oppressive and repressive, homophobic society.

    Citing Scripture is no simple answer. We all know that the Bible prohibits homosexuality. However, the problem is that the biblical laws prohibit and also permit quite a number of things we do not and with good reason. One example would be the dietary laws. Another example is the sanctification of slavery, as can be found in Exod. 21. So why do you make homosexuality such an exception?
    Do you understand the difference between ceremonial law and moral law? And in laws that were changed in the NT (like the dietary laws), and those that were actually reinforced (like homosexual behavior is a sin?)

  7. #15
    tWebber NorrinRadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wayne Township, PA
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    634
    Amen (Given)
    118
    Amen (Received)
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghead View Post
    In theology, "orthodox" also means conventional or traditional. I know that much conventional religious teaching on sex was in fact homophobic and repressive.
    Again, so what? For the Xian, the question should not be, "Are my doctrine and practice compatible with modern cultural norms," it should be "Are my doctrine and practice compatible with the best understanding of Scripture itself?"
    Semipelagiageislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

  8. Amen Jedidiah, Sparko, RumTumTugger, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  9. #16
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Next to you
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,804
    Amen (Given)
    1301
    Amen (Received)
    3381
    How do we determine that our own moral judgments supersede that the Bible? And whose moral judgments do we go with?
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

  10. Amen LostSheep, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  11. #17
    Undergraduate Lens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Faith
    Agnostic/Weak Polytheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7
    Amen (Given)
    2
    Amen (Received)
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Do you understand the difference between ceremonial law and moral law? And in laws that were changed in the NT (like the dietary laws), and those that were actually reinforced (like homosexual behavior is a sin?)
    I do not, but I am curious about this.

  12. #18
    Thanks Old Man... Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,285
    Amen (Given)
    6752
    Amen (Received)
    7027
    Quote Originally Posted by Lens View Post
    I do not, but I am curious about this.
    Please set your faith tag in your profile.


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  13. #19
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,304
    Amen (Given)
    2766
    Amen (Received)
    15950
    Quote Originally Posted by Lens View Post
    I do not, but I am curious about this.
    God made the Hebrews his chosen people. He gave them the law to separate them from the other people of the world. To make them holy. Some of the laws he gave them were ceremonial, to keep them separate from other people, like circumcision, or not eating certain foods, or wearing certain clothes. Other laws were moral laws, that taught them right from wrong, like stealing or killing is evil. He also gave them laws that were made to point toward the coming messiah and salvation and redemption. Like sacrifices for sin. This was the Old Covenant. The Jews broke this covenant over and over.

    When Jesus came, he brought a new covenant, one that superseded the old covenant and was for all mankind, not just the hebrews. Since the old covenant was no longer in effect, and the new covenant was for all man and not just hebrews, the ceremonial and dietary laws were no longer binding on anyone. There was also no longer any need for sacrifices, since Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. But the moral code was still in effect. Jesus and the apostles even reiterated many of them, like adultery is wrong, killing is wrong, homosexuality is wrong, etc. Morals do not change and they are for all mankind for all time. The punishment for violation of the moral codes will change depending on the society and government of the time and place, but God still wants us to follow his moral edicts.

  14. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
  15. #20
    Undergraduate Lens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Faith
    Agnostic/Weak Polytheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7
    Amen (Given)
    2
    Amen (Received)
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Please set your faith tag in your profile.
    Just did.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    God made the Hebrews his chosen people. He gave them the law to separate them from the other people of the world. To make them holy. Some of the laws he gave them were ceremonial, to keep them separate from other people, like circumcision, or not eating certain foods, or wearing certain clothes. Other laws were moral laws, that taught them right from wrong, like stealing or killing is evil. He also gave them laws that were made to point toward the coming messiah and salvation and redemption. Like sacrifices for sin. This was the Old Covenant. The Jews broke this covenant over and over.

    When Jesus came, he brought a new covenant, one that superseded the old covenant and was for all mankind, not just the hebrews. Since the old covenant was no longer in effect, and the new covenant was for all man and not just hebrews, the ceremonial and dietary laws were no longer binding on anyone. There was also no longer any need for sacrifices, since Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. But the moral code was still in effect. Jesus and the apostles even reiterated many of them, like adultery is wrong, killing is wrong, homosexuality is wrong, etc. Morals do not change and they are for all mankind for all time. The punishment for violation of the moral codes will change depending on the society and government of the time and place, but God still wants us to follow his moral edicts.
    Thanks. :) Clarified some things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •