Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Homosexuality Is Immoral.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homosexuality Is Immoral.

It violates God's created order for human sexuality. It is a sin, if not repented of, that is worthy judgement - possible eternal separation from God. Does this firmly held belief make me a bigot? Homophobic? If so why?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Why is this in Civics?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      It violates God's created order for human sexuality. It is a sin, if not repented of, that is worthy judgement - possible eternal separation from God. Does this firmly held belief make me a bigot? Homophobic? If so why?
      Since a bigot is someone who is intolerant or hateful towards a group of people, and I presume you treat gay people with respect, I don't see why its bigoted. And if you don't show prejudice, or negative stereotypes, or perpetuate false information about gay people, I don't see why you should be called homophobic.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Since a bigot is someone who is intolerant or hateful towards a group of people, and I presume you treat gay people with respect, I don't see why its bigoted. And if you don't show prejudice, or negative stereotypes, or perpetuate false information about gay people, I don't see why you should be called homophobic.
        Won't the very fact that I hold their behavior to be immoral on religious beliefs qualify me as a bigot - at least? And yes, over the years I have had a number of gay friends and relatives. I have always treated them with kindness and respect.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Won't the very fact that I hold their behavior to be immoral on religious beliefs qualify me as a bigot - at least? And yes, over the years I have had a number of gay friends and relatives. I have always treated them with kindness and respect.
          To me it would only depend on whether you treated them differently. Mind you I do think there are some real issues with bigotry against gay people in Christian communities seer. I've heard of parents disowning their children etc... nasty stuff. And there's some bad myths being perpetuated uncritically. Stuff like that I'll call bigotry and homophobic without hesitation. In as much as you don't participate in that stuff, you're neither.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            To me it would only depend on whether you treated them differently. Mind you I do think there are some real issues with bigotry against gay people in Christian communities seer. I've heard of parents disowning their children etc... nasty stuff. And there's some bad myths being perpetuated uncritically. Stuff like that I'll call bigotry and homophobic without hesitation. In as much as you don't participate in that stuff, you're neither.
            It is funny, I have been a Christian for 26 years and have attended some pretty fundamentalist Churches but never really heard that kind of bigotry - besides the standard sin stuff. But in a sense, since I do not believe a culture should embrace this behavior, I have been against Gay Marriage for instance - which would be treating them differently in law.

Comment

It is funny, I have been a Christian for 26 years and have attended some pretty fundamentalist Churches but never really heard that kind of bigotry - besides the standard sin stuff. But in a sense, since I do not believe a culture should embrace this behavior, I have been against Gay Marriage for instance - which would be treating them differently in law.
              I do know a gay couple (errr well they were a couple, recently split up) where the one's father has completely disowned him. So it does happen. (his father is a regte Afrikaaner attending the NG Kerk which if you know about it, explains a lot)
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                I do know a gay couple (errr well they were a couple, recently split up) where the one's father has completely disowned him. So it does happen. (his father is a regte Afrikaaner attending the NG Kerk which if you know about it, explains a lot)
                No doubt, I had a friend who's father disowned him, but not on religious grounds. His dad was real macho.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  Why is this in Civics?
                  I don't know, but I wonder the same thing. This seems more of an apologetics thing to me...
                  I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                    I don't know, but I wonder the same thing. This seems more of an apologetics thing to me...
                    More like ethics. It's there now.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I think homosexual actions are immoral. However I know many people who are "gay" that are celibate and I do not consider that immoral nor do I consider that they identify as gay immoral especially since they practice celibacy and avoid sexual immorality. However, since we are on it. There are all kinds of sexual immorality and I believe each sexual sin is the same as the other and no two are different. If as Christians we accuse homosexuals of being outside of the fullness of grace then neither is it acceptable to have sex outside of marriage, extra marital affairs and those who do are also outside the fullness of grace and cannot be classified as "orthodox" Christians as long as they are living in sin. Ok off my soap box.
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by hoghead
                        Well, there sure must be a lot of unorthodox Christians out there, because studies show many Christians, if not the vast majority, have participated in the sexual practices you condemn. So much for the failure of orthodoxy to come to grips with the realities of human sexuality.
                        Why would you think "orthodoxy" -- or perhaps better "orthopraxy" -- should come to grips with these alleged "realities"? Orthodoxy and orthopraxy are about the ways things *should* be, whether or not they commonly *are*.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

In theology, "orthodox" also means conventional or traditional. I know that much conventional religious teaching on sex was in fact homophobic and repressive.
                          The entire history of the orthodox church has been that homosexual behavior is incompatible with Christianity. There is absolutely no arguing against that, especially trying to use the decayed relativism of today's western churches.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What do you take to be "God's created order for human sexuality"? If your argument is that God created sexuality purely for the purposes of human reproduction, you are sadly mistaken. Among humans and other species, sexuality serves a many purposes other than mere reproduction. Among humans, the amount of sexual arousal we are naturally inclined to experience, as well as the amount of sperm produced by use males, far exceeds the amount necessary for reproduction. This is also true of other species. That, and that alone, is a powerful natural revelation that sex serves purposes other than mere reproduction.

If you are trying to argue you aren't homophobic, forget it. You probably are. We all are. We have all been raised in a very sexually oppressive and repressive, homophobic society.

Citing Scripture is no simple answer. We all know that the Bible prohibits homosexuality. However, the problem is that the biblical laws prohibit and also permit quite a number of things we do not and with good reason. One example would be the dietary laws. Another example is the sanctification of slavery, as can be found in Exod. 21. So why do you make homosexuality such an exception?
                            Do you understand the difference between ceremonial law and moral law? And in laws that were changed in the NT (like the dietary laws), and those that were actually reinforced (like homosexual behavior is a sin?)

Comment

In theology, "orthodox" also means conventional or traditional. I know that much conventional religious teaching on sex was in fact homophobic and repressive.
                              Again, so what? For the Xian, the question should not be, "Are my doctrine and practice compatible with modern cultural norms," it should be "Are my doctrine and practice compatible with the best understanding of Scripture itself?"
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X