Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Homosexuality Is Immoral.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do we determine that our own moral judgments supersede that the Bible? And whose moral judgments do we go with?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Do you understand the difference between ceremonial law and moral law? And in laws that were changed in the NT (like the dietary laws), and those that were actually reinforced (like homosexual behavior is a sin?)
      I do not, but I am curious about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lens View Post
        Please set your faith tag in your profile.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Lens View Post
          God made the Hebrews his chosen people. He gave them the law to separate them from the other people of the world. To make them holy. Some of the laws he gave them were ceremonial, to keep them separate from other people, like circumcision, or not eating certain foods, or wearing certain clothes. Other laws were moral laws, that taught them right from wrong, like stealing or killing is evil. He also gave them laws that were made to point toward the coming messiah and salvation and redemption. Like sacrifices for sin. This was the Old Covenant. The Jews broke this covenant over and over.

When Jesus came, he brought a new covenant, one that superseded the old covenant and was for all mankind, not just the hebrews. Since the old covenant was no longer in effect, and the new covenant was for all man and not just hebrews, the ceremonial and dietary laws were no longer binding on anyone. There was also no longer any need for sacrifices, since Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. But the moral code was still in effect. Jesus and the apostles even reiterated many of them, like adultery is wrong, killing is wrong, homosexuality is wrong, etc. Morals do not change and they are for all mankind for all time. The punishment for violation of the moral codes will change depending on the society and government of the time and place, but God still wants us to follow his moral edicts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Please set your faith tag in your profile.
            Just did.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            God made the Hebrews his chosen people. He gave them the law to separate them from the other people of the world. To make them holy. Some of the laws he gave them were ceremonial, to keep them separate from other people, like circumcision, or not eating certain foods, or wearing certain clothes. Other laws were moral laws, that taught them right from wrong, like stealing or killing is evil. He also gave them laws that were made to point toward the coming messiah and salvation and redemption. Like sacrifices for sin. This was the Old Covenant. The Jews broke this covenant over and over.

When Jesus came, he brought a new covenant, one that superseded the old covenant and was for all mankind, not just the hebrews. Since the old covenant was no longer in effect, and the new covenant was for all man and not just hebrews, the ceremonial and dietary laws were no longer binding on anyone. There was also no longer any need for sacrifices, since Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. But the moral code was still in effect. Jesus and the apostles even reiterated many of them, like adultery is wrong, killing is wrong, homosexuality is wrong, etc. Morals do not change and they are for all mankind for all time. The punishment for violation of the moral codes will change depending on the society and government of the time and place, but God still wants us to follow his moral edicts.
            Thanks. :) Clarified some things.

Comment

No on both counts as Jesus feels the same as you.
              BU

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X