Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Alligator Pulls Child Into Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The body was recovered, intact. He was drowned.
    Last edited by rogue06; 06-15-2016, 03:49 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The body has been officially identified. Here's a more complete story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/all...isney-florida/
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Mrs H reminded me of something: Gators don't get that aggressive with humans UNLESS HUMANS HAVE BEEN FEEDING THEM.

The press conference we just watched had the local sheriff saying there were no reports of people feeding gators at the resort. I'd imagine not, since I don't expect people who do that will self-report it. But gators will normally avoid humans and be afraid of them -- just like bears or many other animals will be -- unless people are doing things to reduce that fear.

Sadly it's most often people from out of state who will feed gators.

The press here made some issue of the fact that there were indeed only signs warning against swimming, not against gators specifically. I know that at a couple of the parks we visit, there are signs near lakes warning against feeding gators, like this one, which I have seen personally:

do-not-feed-alligators-sign-k-9824.gif

Yes -- there's even a state law against it. This story is an example of why. And knowing Disney, they didn't put up signs this specific out of fear it would make people less "happy" on their Disney vacation.

Comment

372.667 Feeding or enticement of alligators or crocodiles unlawful; penalty.--

(1) No person shall intentionally feed, or entice with feed, any wild American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) or American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus). However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(a) Those persons feeding alligators or crocodiles maintained in protected captivity for educational, scientific, commercial, or recreational purposes.

(b) Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission personnel, persons licensed or otherwise authorized by the commission, or county or municipal animal control personnel when relocating alligators or crocodiles by baiting or enticement.

(2) For the purposes of this section, the term "maintained in protected captivity" means held in captivity under a permit issued by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission pursuant to s. 372.921 or s. 372.922.

(3) Any person who violates this section commits a Level Two violation under s. 372.83.

That's a second degree misdemeanor.

Here's another sign I've seen before...

ZKzZjkh.jpg

Comment

Wow, that's a pretty stiff penalty, but I imagine we all have similar laws where people tend to think it's cute to feed wildlife...

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              Wow, that's a pretty stiff penalty, but I imagine we all have similar laws where people tend to think it's cute to feed wildlife...
              Considering that the consequences of feeding alligators is that humans may become alligator chow...
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

...or bear chow. For some reason people don't try to feed mountain lions but I guess everybody already know cats hurt you a lot.

Comment

Heh, yeah. Around here they probably think it's funny to feed gators because they seem like living trash cans that will swallow anything you throw at them. We saw that sort of sentiment at a restaurant in Georgia a few months ago....

http://thecopperpigbbq.com/

While we were there Mrs H warned someone that this "feed the gators" thing could encourage people to think it was OK to do the same thing anywhere. By FL law the Copper Pig's exhibit would probably be illegal....or maybe they'd stick it under "recreational" in section (a).

Comment

That reminds me of the bison herd they keep in Hays, Kansas. They had problems with tourists to whom it didn't occur that it may be a bad idea to taunt an 800 pound animal that naturally charges.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

...or bear chow. For some reason people don't try to feed mountain lions but I guess everybody already know cats hurt you a lot.
                      This reminds me of the significant number of people that are killed and injured trying to approach bison and moose thinking they're harmless and cute and want to take a picture next to them. I think the notorious line from Jurassic Park parodied so well below

To enbiggenate clickify on
                      the imagification
                      2013-04-22.jpg
                      then clickify on the
                      resulting imagification

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Had a fellow out near Glennallen, Alaska who was mauled when he tried to pet a black bear rummaging through the trash.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                          Heh, yeah. Around here they probably think it's funny to feed gators because they seem like living trash cans that will swallow anything you throw at them. We saw that sort of sentiment at a restaurant in Georgia a few months ago....

http://thecopperpigbbq.com/

While we were there Mrs H warned someone that this "feed the gators" thing could encourage people to think it was OK to do the same thing anywhere. By FL law the Copper Pig's exhibit would probably be illegal....or maybe they'd stick it under "recreational" in section (a).
                          We here in the rest of Georgia like to pretend that Brunswick doesn't exist. You see why.
                          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Had a fellow out near Glennallen, Alaska who was mauled when he tried to pet a black bear rummaging through the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                              We here in the rest of Georgia like to pretend that Brunswick doesn't exist. You see why.
                              Lousy stew?

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/us/air...disney-gators/

Very good item here by an airboat operator that puts the dangers in perspective.

Comment