Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Gut Bacteria & Autism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gut Bacteria & Autism

Summary:

The absence of a one specific species of gut bacteria causes social deficits in mice, researchers report. By adding this bacteria species back to the guts of affected mice, the researchers were able to reverse some of their behavioral deficits, which are reminiscent of symptoms of autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) in humans. The investigators are now looking to explore the effects of probiotics on neurodevelopmental disorders in future work.

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0616140723.htm

Many months ago I got flamed for quoting the suggestion that gut health may be necessary to prevent autism. Now it appears that Antony Wakefield may yet get justice. Not now, but eventually.
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Correlation isn't causation but what appears to be happening is that in those with Autism they have a poor immune system.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        Correlation isn't causation but what appears to be happening is that in those with Autism they have a poor immune system.
        Yes, but delaying medical treatment until Science reaches a strong consensus on what scientific finding to make may in many cases be harmful or deadly. Imagine a doctor telling himself: "Correlation is not causation." Then he waits and waits until most of his patients are gone.
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

My son has autism but he is very healthy...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            Yes, but delaying medical treatment until Science reaches a strong consensus on what scientific finding to make may in many cases be harmful or deadly. Imagine a doctor telling himself: "Correlation is not causation." Then he waits and waits until most of his patients are gone.
            I think your confused about what I am saying. I am not attacking the idea of giving probiotics to autistic children, in fact I think because Autistic children tend to have poor immune systems its good practice to give them friendly bacteria, ESPECIALLY because they tend to have poor diets due to picky eating habits from sensory issues. A decent vitamin supplement may also be warranted. But I do not necessarily believe that the poor immune system is the cause of the disease. I do understand fully that secondary illness's can make a primary neurological issue worse. E.G I am epileptic, if I have a fever, I must bring it down immediately and take a seizure medicine or take the risk of having a seizure. But the cause of my Epilepsy is not the fever so to speak. Hopefully you understand. I also take precautions to stay well, such as seasonal vaccines, pneumonia vaccine, Certain selective alternative therapies, vitamins, diet and my epilepsy meds. And i am aware of things that may trigger other types of seizures.
            In the case of Autism, its good practice to be aware of things such as immune deficits that will trigger symptoms.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              My son has autism but he is very healthy...
              That's really good!!! I assume that you two have done a great job taking care of him. It appears that that are many who are on the spectrum that do have poor immune systems for a variety of reasons, and it could be due to food allergies, severe lactose intolerance, undiagnosed celiac's disease or other problems that trigger issues in the gut flora. Who knows what all the causes are but it does happen. I don't agree with Wakefield's premise, but I think he's a fraud. What I do find interesting are the theories coming out of Chapel Hill Duke and Hopkins where Autism is being studied carefully for both its causes and how to treat its different symptoms.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Catholicity, you must justify your opinion that Wakefield is a fraud. In detail, if you can, please. You seem to be a loose cannon.

Comment

According to Autism watch:
                  Improperly obtained blood for research purposes from normal children attending his son's birthday party, paid them £5 for their discomfort, and later joked during a lecture about having done this.
                  Subjected autistic children to colonoscopy, lumbar punctures, and other tests without approval from a research review board.
                  Failed to disclose that he had filed a patent for a vaccine to compete with the MMR
                  Starting a child on an experimental product called Transfer Factor, which he planned to market.[/Quote] Findings from the general medicine council or GMC in Britian http://www.autism-watch.org/news/lancet.shtml
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

According to Autism watch:
                    Improperly obtained blood for research purposes from normal children attending his son's birthday party, paid them £5 for their discomfort, and later joked during a lecture about having done this.
                    Subjected autistic children to colonoscopy, lumbar punctures, and other tests without approval from a research review board.
                    Failed to disclose that he had filed a patent for a vaccine to compete with the MMR
                    Starting a child on an experimental product called Transfer Factor, which he planned to market. Findings from the general medicine council or GMC in Britian http://www.autism-watch.org/news/lancet.shtml
                    If true, those things seem to my untrained mind to be much less serious than the charge that his by-now-famous paper was fraudulent.

I've seen at least 2 people interview Wakefield. One interview here http://www.thedailybell.com/asset-pr...l-persecution/

To be honest, I trust the Daily Bell more than I you. I doubt you will change your mind, and I don't expect you will show convincing stuff against Wakefield. I want a permanent truce now but I'll let you have the last word.

Comment

Catholicity, you must justify your opinion that Wakefield is a fraud. In detail, if you can, please. You seem to be a loose cannon.
                      If true, those things seem to my untrained mind to be much less serious than the charge that his by-now-famous paper was fraudulent.

I've seen at least 2 people interview Wakefield. One interview here http://www.thedailybell.com/asset-pr...l-persecution/

To be honest, I trust the Daily Bell more than I you. I doubt you will change your mind, and I don't expect you will show convincing stuff against Wakefield. I want a permanent truce now but I'll let you have the last word.
                      Did we not have pages and pages of items in a previous thread (that could have been before the Big Crash) where it was detailed why Wakefield is a fraud?

Here is the Lancet retracting Wakefield's fraudulent research paper http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...175-4/abstract (article is free if you create an account)
                      Here is the British Medical Journal paper completely debunking Wakefield's fraudulent research: http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5347.full
                      Here is a BMJ editorial on the matter: http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c7452.full

The UK General Medical Council struck his licence to practise medicine after an investigation into professional misconduct found: that he had "failed in his duties as a responsible consultant", acted against the interests of his patients, and "dishonestly and irresponsibly" in his controversial research.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110809...f_32595267.pdf
                      "In all the circumstances and taking into account the standard which might be expected of a doctor practising in the same field of medicine in similar circumstances in or around 1996-1998, the Panel concluded that Dr Wakefield’s misconduct not only collectively amounts to serious professional misconduct, over a timeframe from 1996 to 1999, but also, when considered individually, constitutes multiple separate instances of serious professional misconduct.
                      Accordingly the Panel finds Dr Wakefield guilty of serious professional misconduct. "

Wakefield is a fraud and a scoundrel, his "research" has been repeatedly debunked.
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I do believe I made my point but that also goes to show that even when I point to the evidence of my claim, you believe its all a conspiracy.
                        You are free to think however you like. And so am I. However you have no reason to call me a loose cannon. I research to death health care, and I have quite deeply held convictions about what I believe in and don't and I'm not afraid to say what I think, which is typically in disagreement with conspiracy theories.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          Did we not have pages and pages of items in a previous thread (that could have been before the Big Crash) where it was detailed why Wakefield is a fraud?

Here is the Lancet retracting Wakefield's fraudulent research paper http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...175-4/abstract (article is free if you create an account)
                          Here is the British Medical Journal paper completely debunking Wakefield's fraudulent research: http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5347.full
                          Here is a BMJ editorial on the matter: http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c7452.full

The UK General Medical Council struck his licence to practise medicine after an investigation into professional misconduct found: that he had "failed in his duties as a responsible consultant", acted against the interests of his patients, and "dishonestly and irresponsibly" in his controversial research.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110809...f_32595267.pdf
                          "In all the circumstances and taking into account the standard which might be expected of a doctor practising in the same field of medicine in similar circumstances in or around 1996-1998, the Panel concluded that Dr Wakefield’s misconduct not only collectively amounts to serious professional misconduct, over a timeframe from 1996 to 1999, but also, when considered individually, constitutes multiple separate instances of serious professional misconduct.
                          Accordingly the Panel finds Dr Wakefield guilty of serious professional misconduct. "

Wakefield is a fraud and a scoundrel, his "research" has been repeatedly debunked.
                          Did you post this not having seen the Daily Bell article? In any case, I believe that and not believe Catholicity's accusation and now yours.

Now, will you or Catholicity have the LAST word?

Comment

I believe my point has been made. No matter what evidence has been pointed to the contrary, your mind has been made up and cannot be changed. Since it is a free country, you are free to believe what ever you wish and whomever wish. And I am free to believe whatever I wish and whomever I wish. I am also free to point out my views and so are you. Are we agreed on that point? I should hope so.
                            As far as calling a truce, let me say this. I have absolutely no problem with you pointing out that you believe in quacks like Wakefield, Mercola etc. However since I have a higher level of education concerning medicine, It is my duty to point the readers of this website to correct links concerning epidemiology, disease, medications and the correct way to use complementary and alternative therapies (the latter of which I have no problem with, I have a problem with people making money and using fraudulent claims which sets those who want to honestly use them and get the word out that they work back)
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Is the BBB not to be trusted? Mercola for one thing has been BBB certified. go to the bottom of this webpage and look on the left side for the BBB accredited business tag. http://shop.mercola.com/
                              Last edited by Truthseeker; 07-07-2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X