Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Gut Bacteria & Autism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The BBB or better business bureau means that the business simply follows the law on their sales practices. It is NOT the Medical License Board. I happen to know that even Amway and Avon have an A from the BBB.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You have to present outside evidence of quackery. I for one refuse to take your ipse dixit. For years I've used am doctors and cam doctors (Stengler for example). Long time for me to bug you. One step I'm contemplating is starting a new thread on how many times the FDA forced withdrawals of certain drugs or classes of drugs from the market after years and years of criticizing the FDA dragging the feet. But it seems possible that you think the FDA is mostly good and very little bad and won't be swayed by all the evidence in the news.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        You have to present outside evidence of quackery. I for one refuse to take your ipse dixit. For years I've used am doctors and cam doctors (Stengler for example). Long time for me to bug you. One step I'm contemplating is starting a new thread on how many times the FDA forced withdrawals of certain drugs or classes of drugs from the market after years and years of criticizing the FDA dragging the feet. But it seems possible that you think the FDA is mostly good and very little bad and won't be swayed by all the evidence in the news.
        What are you looking for? If I post a naturopath's or holistically trained physician's paper and research about Mercola's fraud or the non link between vaccines and autism wojld that be satisfactory? Or would you be convinced that "they" were also in bed with the FDA? TS you realize that you are talking to a person who has medical experience in both allopathy and alternative health right? Not just in an amateur setting but in a clinical setting too.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In Mercola's case, I need evidence that is overwhelming. A description of something that is fraudulent that Mercola did several times at least. The thing has to be shown to be unsafe or ineffective on the basis of overwhelming evidence.

Bear in mind that every decision in medicine comes with a risk. A treatment of a deadly epidemic seems promising, but the subjects in medical studies of that are still few, not deemed enough to base routine medical decisions on. So, would Mercola be wrong to recommend the treatment with medical supervision? On one hand, we have people dying without the treatment and on the other hand people getting killed because they were given that.

Just because you think Mercola is wrong to express unease that certain types of vaccine may be an important factor in autism, that is not good enough evidence of quackery.

To be honest with you I am sort of guessing Wakefield was framed. I also am guessing that vaccines of certain types are highly injurious to a few persons. So, am I a quack?
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            In Mercola's case, I need evidence that is overwhelming. A description of something that is fraudulent that Mercola did several times at least. The thing has to be shown to be unsafe or ineffective on the basis of overwhelming evidence.

Bear in mind that every decision in medicine comes with a risk. A treatment of a deadly epidemic seems promising, but the subjects in medical studies of that are still few, not deemed enough to base routine medical decisions on. So, would Mercola be wrong to recommend the treatment with medical supervision? On one hand, we have people dying without the treatment and on the other hand people getting killed because they were given that.

Just because you think Mercola is wrong to express unease that certain types of vaccine may be an important factor in autism, that is not good enough evidence of quackery.

To be honest with you I am sort of guessing Wakefield was framed. I also am guessing that vaccines of certain types are highly injurious to a few persons. So, am I a quack?
            Well lets start with the claim on Mercola's website about Tanning Beds AND his sale of his own personal tanning bed.
            The original article is here although he ceased selling the product after the FDA warned him repeatedly. He cites tanning as slashing the risk of cancers http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...han-cause.aspx

But Whole health Chicago says http://wholehealthchicago.com/2009/1...and-serotonin/

And Dr. Weil says this http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40073...for-Teens.html

And here is the American association of Naturopaths. http://www.naturopathic.org/article_...sp?article=787
            None support Mercola's claims, none sell tanning beds and all of them tell you how to help vitamin D and serotonin levels without purchasing a particular supplement brand. I realize you might wonder if they are involved with the FDA too, but one has been warned by the FDA once and the others are out to simply help people stay well without making a profit.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

1) If Mercola made mistakes regarding tanning beds and his selling them, then perforce you must say he is a quack?
              2) . .. . well, now I think I better get what you think about getting vita D from sunbathing (not from bathing in a tanning bed) before going on.
              3) It's not clear to me why the FDA is against the use of some (not all) tanning beds. I thought of googling around, but you're the expert or so you think.

Comment

In this article Mercola Claims he tried to warn people about vioxx in 1999 http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...gs-unsafe.aspx However in reality Vioxx was not actually released on the market until May of 1999, and strokes and cardiovascular issues were not reported until december with strictly gut bleeding not stroke and heart attack as Mercola claims. (according to NPR the rise and fall of VIOXX) The drug was subseuquently withdrawn in 2004. At the very least the claim is disingenuous, as he was not a whistleblower, but admits that in 1997 in an interview shown on Chicago Magazine that he had no choice but to begin selling his own products on his website and his private practice closed in 2013. While I realize you have made up your mind, and will state that this must have been a mistake or is just another hoax and don't trust the evidence, two websites state otherwise, exactly what happened. Mercola was ordered to stop his false claims, but only one of them has been pulled with an account suspended.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X