Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Problems and Questions in Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Mode of being? Simple answer John, there is no such thing as "good" or "evil". They are not existing things.
    Aquinas has much to say about good and evil in the Summa Theologia

On good and evil -

We must therefore say that every action has goodness, in so far as it has being; whereas it is lacking in goodness, in so far as it is lacking in something that is due to its fulness of being; and thus it is said to be evil: for instance if it lacks the quantity determined by reason, or its due place, or something of the kind. (Summa Theologiae Ia-IIae, q. 18, a. 1).
    On evil -

I answer that, It must be said that every evil in some way has a cause. For evil is the absence of the good, which is natural and due to a thing. But that anything fail from its natural and due disposition can come only from some cause drawing it out of its proper disposition. For a heavy thing is not moved upwards except by some impelling force; nor does an agent fail in its action except from some impediment. But only good can be a cause; because nothing can be a cause except inasmuch as it is a being, and every being, as such, is good.

And if we consider the special kinds of causes, we see that the agent, the form, and the end, import some kind of perfection which belongs to the notion of good. Even matter, as a potentiality to good, has the nature of good. Now that good is the cause of evil by way of the material cause was shown above (I:48:3). For it was shown that good is the subject of evil. But evil has no formal cause, rather is it a privation of form; likewise, neither has it a final cause, but rather is it a privation of order to the proper end; since not only the end has the nature of good, but also the useful, which is ordered to the end. Evil, however, has a cause by way of an agent, not directly, but accidentally.
    JM

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnMartin View Post
      Evil is a lack of a due good.
      Those are terms I apply as I like. They are not quantifiable entities. Blindness is not in itself evil. I might decide to call it evil, or I might not.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
        Those are terms I apply as I like. They are not quantifiable entities. Blindness is not in itself evil. I might decide to call it evil, or I might not.
        St Thomas does not waste time with the arm chair philosophy of nominalism. St Thomas is a moderate realist, who argues from the nature of things regardless of the nominalist, or subjectivist games of others.

JM

Comment

St Thomas does not waste time with the arm chair philosophy of nominalism. St Thomas is a moderate realist, who argues from the nature of things regardless of the nominalist, or subjectivist games of others.
          St Thomas has been dead for centuries, so can't possibly disregard subjectivism.
          Last edited by Roy; 03-13-2017, 06:13 AM.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            St Thomas has been dead for centuries, so can't possibly disregard subjectivism.
            Aquinas is also, in my humblest of opinions, highly overrated.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

How can atheism explain causation without any uncaused causes?

JM
              . . . because Natural Law is possibly an uncaused cause.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Another statement made without presenting any evidence.

JM
                I think the problem is yours, you have failed to provide any objective evidence for any of your claims.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I am unconcerned with St. Thomas' opinion on the matter.

If you're unable to consider responses to your question, then you shouldn't ask the question in the first place.
                  Last edited by Yttrium; 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM.
                  Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    . . . because Natural Law is possibly an uncaused cause.
                    I've never seen a proof of your assertion. Care to present one?

JM

Comment

Why should I care what Aquinas has to say about anything? His arguments look like warmed-over Aristotelianism to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                        Why should I care what Aquinas has to say about anything? His arguments look like warmed-over Aristotelianism to me.
                        What Aquinas has to say is true. He is one of the greats in Christian thought.

JM

Comment

That's because they are. Averroes aped Aristotle and Aquinas aped Averroes.
                          "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                          --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

What Aquinas has to say is true.
                            And I should believe so just because you say so?

Comment

Aquinas is the universal doctor of the Catholic Church and is well recognised as one of the greatest thinkers in Christian history.

JM

Comment

On good and evil -

On evil -

JM
                                No wonder that Aquinas, toward the end of his life, wished to burn his books.

Comment