Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A quiz ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quiz ...

How much information does the following (in bold green) contain: YES

Try to answer that question on your own, without help or references.
    Of course, I can only trust you on that request.

Let's see what kind of responses are submitted ...

Jorge

Originally posted by Jorge the welcher View Post
    .How much information does the following (in bold green) contain: YES
    Insufficient information.

But here's a question you do have all the information you need to answer:

Why haven't you paid the $150 you owe, welcher?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post

Jorge
      There is no way to answer this without knowing what other possible "values" the "YES" message could take, and their probabilities.

For example, if someone flips a coin and asks if it came up heads, and the answer is "YES", the word "YES" contains one bit of information (there is a 50% chance of YES and a 50% chance of NO).
      "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Cause that's the answer to "Life the Universe and Everything".
        "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post

Cause that's the answer to "Life the Universe and Everything".
          Yes, but what is the question?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
            There is no way to answer this without knowing what other possible "values" the "YES" message could take, and their probabilities.

For example, if someone flips a coin and asks if it came up heads, and the answer is "YES", the word "YES" contains one bit of information (there is a 50% chance of YES and a 50% chance of NO).
            What you bring up is exactly what I was getting at. In my present work I wrote: "When measured in bits, it may be demonstrated that YES contains anywhere from zero bits of information to N bits where N is arbitrarily large."

But this is only from the Shannon perspective (and all derivatives of it).
            From my own work's perspective it is far more complex than that.

Jorge

Comment

Jorge
              Not enough ...
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Jorge
                I remember the following exchange in another thread Jorge:-

Jorge: If there's a question or point on 'information' that you would like to bring up then please post it.

Roland: How do you define information in the context of DNA?

Jorge: What do you mean by, "information in the context of DNA" ?

So, before I answer your question, what do you mean by "information"?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Yes, but what is the question?
                  Give me ten million years and I'll have an answer for you barring Vogon interference.

In answer to Jorge's question .... depends

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                    I remember the following exchange in another thread Jorge:-

So, before I answer your question, what do you mean by "information"?
                    Try keeping up.

I had responded to that (not to you specifically).

My answer was that I was not prepared to do this now.

Jorge

Comment

The question is, "Am I expecting that this thread will not lead anywhere?" YES
                      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Give me ten million years and I'll have an answer for you barring Vogon interference.

In answer to Jorge's question .... depends
                        R06 is asking for 10 million years. I wonder why?

Oh, I know!!!

That's the time he needs to Evolve a brain.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                          The question is, "Am I expecting that this thread will not lead anywhere?" YES
                          Probably right. I do try but I can't soar like an Eagle when trapped in a cage filled with Dodo Birds.

Jorge

Comment

Probably right. I do try but I can't soar like an Eagle when trapped in a cage filled with Dodo Birds.

Jorge
                            Aside from attempting to generate interest in the work you've been doing - what purpose does this thread serve? You are not going to give us your 'Earth shattering revelation' that you think you might publish some day. So what is the point? Do you just get a kick out of seeing who might guess what it was you think you figured out? Would you even acknowledge it if someone did?

You are so full of yourself Jorge.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

R06 is asking for 10 million years. I wonder why?

Oh, I know!!!

That's the time he needs to Evolve a brain.

Jorge
                              And another thing Jorge is ignorant of.
                              "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment