Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: The Assumption of Hate

  1. #11
    tWebber Carrikature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,577
    Amen (Given)
    2084
    Amen (Received)
    1072
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    There is a line in the movie "Pollyanna" that is attributed to Abraham Lincoln, "If you look for the evil in men, you shall surely find it".


    Though I find that, often enough, people are just ignorant of the other options. Something along the lines of "I can't think of what else the reason would be so it must be this one." It's not helped by people that really are using "this one".
    I'm not here anymore.

  2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  3. #12
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North Pacific Coast USA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,146
    Amen (Given)
    100
    Amen (Received)
    141
    Pollyanna? Who said that in the movie?
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

    [T]he truth Im after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

  4. #13
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    14,883
    Amen (Given)
    4828
    Amen (Received)
    8758
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    There is a line in the movie "Pollyanna" that is attributed to Abraham Lincoln, "If you look for the evil in men, you shall surely find it".
    You may be conflating assumption with ascription and/or accusation. People accused of hate tend to be put on the defensive, which may be a desired goal. On the other hand, people ruled by their passions may well assume that others are as well.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  5. Amen Carrikature amen'd this post.
  6. #14
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    11,768
    Amen (Given)
    5092
    Amen (Received)
    4399
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I'm sorry, Laura. Did you want this to be a serious thread?
    Yes, but I didn't have time to finish the OP. It's fine.

  7. #15
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    11,768
    Amen (Given)
    5092
    Amen (Received)
    4399
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
    Pollyanna? Who said that in the movie?
    Pollyanna, to the Reverend.

  8. #16
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    11,768
    Amen (Given)
    5092
    Amen (Received)
    4399
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post


    Though I find that, often enough, people are just ignorant of the other options. Something along the lines of "I can't think of what else the reason would be so it must be this one." It's not helped by people that really are using "this one".
    Granted.

  9. #17
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    11,768
    Amen (Given)
    5092
    Amen (Received)
    4399
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You may be conflating assumption with ascription and/or accusation. People accused of hate tend to be put on the defensive, which may be a desired goal. On the other hand, people ruled by their passions may well assume that others are as well.
    Granted, but the point I had wanted to make was that we (i.e. humans) are quick to assume hatred in our opposition these days. Liberals hate this; conservatives hate that. If you say something negative about Y you must hate them - that sort of thing pervades nowadays and it's both wrong and counterproductive.

  10. Amen Carrikature, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  11. #18
    tWebber Carrikature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,577
    Amen (Given)
    2084
    Amen (Received)
    1072
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Granted, but the point I had wanted to make was that we (i.e. humans) are quick to assume hatred in our opposition these days. Liberals hate this; conservatives hate that. If you say something negative about Y you must hate them - that sort of thing pervades nowadays and it's both wrong and counterproductive.
    Even if it's not assumption of hatred, the general increase in dismissive attitudes towards opposing viewpoints is extremely disturbing.
    I'm not here anymore.

  12. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •