Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Fun: Lock ins

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    What I want to know is what this means to End Times theorists who've always claimed that the European Union was the next Roman Empire that the antichrist was to come from. Is this the beginning of the breakup of the EU, or of the UK?
    I remember coming home from my youth group New Year Eve lock-in as a teenager to hear about how the Euro was in effect. Exhaustedly, I thought to myself, "Yep, that's the end" as I drifted off to sleep.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I remember coming home from my youth group New Year Eve lock-in as a teenager to hear about how the Euro was in effect. Exhaustedly, I thought to myself, "Yep, that's the end" as I drifted off to sleep.
    What's a NY Eve lock-in? Is that some sort of youth group thing where they get kids to chill out at the church so they don't get tempted to go to a party or something?

Comment

What's a NY Eve lock-in? Is that some sort of youth group thing where they get kids to chill out at the church so they don't get tempted to go to a party or something?
      Basically, yes.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Basically, yes.
        So glad I never got involved in anything like that.

Comment

So glad I never got involved in anything like that.
          I was raised in a mainline church, actually... I hardly had a fundamentalist upbringing. My ideas about the end time were developed on my own.

Comment

I was raised in a mainline church, actually... I hardly had a fundamentalist upbringing. My ideas about the end time were developed on my own.
            I was referring more the concept of a church lock-in. Sounds super corny.

Comment

It was one of my favorite parts of growing up. I don't understand what your issue is with it to be honest.

Comment

It was one of my favorite parts of growing up. I don't understand what your issue is with it to be honest.
                Oh, well as long as you enjoyed it, that's all that matters then. Didn't mean any offense.

Comment

Even the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem does lock-ins.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It was actually a great option for kids who wanted to have fun, but didn't want to be around some of the 'normal' NY eve activities. What I found repeatedly was that it gave kids an "out" when their friends invited them to a party, and they could say they had something going on in their Church. They'd invite the kids to come to our event. OR - we've done these lock-ins at the YMCA, using the pool all night, or at a sports complex, playing indoor soccer, tennis, or just goofing around.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We played a game called Romans and Christians, where everybody was secretly assigned an identity at the beginning of the game. There were two Romans, two Christians, and everyone else was a peasant. The Romans could arrest people and bring them to a jail. Meanwhile, the Christians would try to get all the peasants into a church. Only Christians could let people out of the jail. The Romans would win if they could get both Christians in jail. The Christians would win if they got all the peasants into church.

I particularly relished being a Roman for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        It was actually a great option for kids who wanted to have fun, but didn't want to be around some of the 'normal' NY eve activities. What I found repeatedly was that it gave kids an "out" when their friends invited them to a party, and they could say they had something going on in their Church. They'd invite the kids to come to our event. OR - we've done these lock-ins at the YMCA, using the pool all night, or at a sports complex, playing indoor soccer, tennis, or just goofing around.
                        Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I know as a kid/teen I'd find the idea of being locked in a church with a bunch of other church kids maddening, especially on a night when I knew other teens were having fun and getting in trouble. My folks tried to get us to do something with one of the school's Christian youth groups on a Halloween when I was probably around 15, and I remember it made my skin crawl. All the kids in the group were sort of socially awkward/nerdy, and I can't remember what we ended up doing, but I remember thinking it was totally lame. Never did anything like that again, and thankfully my parents didn't push. I got into all sorts of things as a teen though, so if I could have hooked up with the right people it might have done me some good.

Comment

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I know as a kid/teen I'd find the idea of being locked in a church with a bunch of other church kids maddening, especially on a night when I knew other teens were having fun and getting in trouble. My folks tried to get us to do something with one of the school's Christian youth groups on a Halloween when I was probably around 15, and I remember it made my skin crawl. All the kids in the group were sort of socially awkward/nerdy, and I can't remember what we ended up doing, but I remember thinking it was totally lame. Never did anything like that again, and thankfully my parents didn't push. I got into all sorts of things as a teen though, so if I could have hooked up with the right people it might have done me some good.
                          Maybe you're taking the idea of "locked in" too literally. It was totally their choice, and we always tried to make it more fun than what they could do outside - without the guilt.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Maybe you're taking the idea of "locked in" too literally. It was totally their choice, and we always tried to make it more fun than what they could do outside - without the guilt.
                            No, I understand that it would have been voluntary, and the doors probably weren't literally locked (I imagine that'd be a fire hazard). I can't imagine it being funner than what they could do outside, but I'll take your word for it. Like I said, probably depends a lot on the kid too.

Comment

We played a game called Romans and Christians, where everybody was secretly assigned an identity at the beginning of the game. There were two Romans, two Christians, and everyone else was a peasant. The Romans could arrest people and bring them to a jail. Meanwhile, the Christians would try to get all the peasants into a church. Only Christians could let people out of the jail. The Romans would win if they could get both Christians in jail. The Christians would win if they got all the peasants into church.

I particularly relished being a Roman for some reason.
                              This sounds weirdly fun.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment