Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

High School Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Politics

This is not the first time Hillary Clinton made history as the first female to top a presidential ticket. Back in high school, she ran for president of the student government, surprising her classmates because no girl had ever done that before. They always served as secretary instead.

Nor is this the first time that Donald Trump has been called names — though perhaps not quite the ones he’s being called now. An alpha male even back in high school, he was voted a “Ladies’ Man” in his yearbook and described as a brawler by his classmates. He also seems to have let it be known that he was rich.

If all the world is a re-creation of high school, then this election is between two candidates who as teenagers already embodied the traits for which they have become famous, and, it’s safe to say, they would not have liked each other very much.
    Clinton was by all accounts an earnest, nerdy, uber-involved student. Think Hermione Granger at Hogwarts. Or Patty Simcox at Rydell. A Buzzfeed list of her high school activities runs 17 printed pages, but to name just a few, she was on the student newspaper, the “It’s Academic” TV quiz show team, the cultural values committee, the committee to write a new school constitution and the antivandalism committee.

She was also director of the school’s Republican organization (yes, she was an ardent Goldwater girl), vice president of the Honor Society, and vice president of the junior class (where she was regularly ticked off, friends say, that she ended up running most of the meetings because the president – the guy she would run against for president as a senior — was away at football practice.) She wasn’t valedictorian, but according to an article in the Boston Globe during her 2008 run, she told the student who was chosen that she thought she was smarter.

Trump, on the other hand, was the Biff Tannen of his crowd (somewhat literally, in fact — “Back to the Future” writer Bob Gale has said the character is based on Trump.) Sent to boarding school at 13 to “channel his energy in a positive manner,” according to the Washington Post, he seems to have poured much of that energy into sports. He played varsity soccer, baseball (the talk back then, his classmates say today, was that he could have gone pro) and football as well as JV wrestling, and intramural basketball and bowling.

He marched a lot too — serving as the commanding officer of the school honor guard for the New York City Columbus Day Parade — and was also a member of the committee for the fall dance, the Driver Education Club and the Hobby and Model Club. He received no academic awards to speak of, but he did win the Neatness and Order Medal in ‘60 and ’61, along with many athletic letters from ‘60 to ‘64. He got into occasional fights, classmates have recalled to reporters recently, because, as one told Business Insider last fall, “that’s common ground in that school. [It was] a little ‘Lord of the Flies.’” Oh, and he was voted “Ladies’ Man” in the yearbook because, as one of his classmates recalled to Business Insider, “He was a very good-looking, handsome guy, and he held himself in a way that everyone thought he’d be very desirable for the opposite sex.”
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/nerd-vs-j...000000618.html

So what are the libertarians?
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Rolling their eyes at the ridiculous notion that anybody should care what two people did, while in high school, 50+ years ago (at least that's what I'm doing).
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Speaking of which....

Source: Reed Galen

Imagine if the meanest of the mean girls and the nastiest of the bullies in your high school were running against each other for class president (everything is high school, remember.) No one likes them except their own crowd, although most are awed by their power to command the hallways and parking lots. They get up and they give their speeches and most of the crowd tunes out, hoping for something interesting, mostly thinking about lunch, or not wanting to go to gym, or pretty much anything that will distract from the two jerks on stage telling us how they’re good for us and have our interests at heart when we know very well they’re not and that they think of little else other than themselves.

For a country as divided as we are across so many spectra, this unpopularity should be troubling. One of these people will occupy the White House starting next January. Approximately half the country will believe they absolutely do not belong there, are crooks, and will never support them, regardless of the issue or event. We saw this trend toward the never-will mentality during Bill Clinton’s time in office, saw it grow with the Florida Recount, expand during Bush’s second term and blow clear out of its moorings in 2009 and 2010 as Obamacare passed and Democrats lost Congress. It will not improve with the resolution of this election.

Of the more than 200 million Americans Constitutionally eligible to be President, these were the two we chose.

© Copyright Original Source

source
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Sad commentary on a once great nation.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What? Are you asking about what Gary Johnson did decades ago? Who knows and who cares.... Libertarians certainly don't.
          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

What's your point?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              What's your point?
              As per article some say high school very very formative so reaction to archetype (jock, etc) is rather ingrained since pimpled years. So some experts theorise why people no like Trump or Hillary is because of this. Also, since teenage years very very formative character/habits/etc of politicans from young can give insight into them now, don't just look at what image they and campaign want to give.

Comment

You write like someone trying to hide a real writing style.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
                  You write like someone trying to hide a real writing style.
                  DING DING DING!

Some please give pink one shiny participation trophy!!

Comment

DING DING DING!

Some please give pink one shiny participation trophy!!
                    And it's remarkably like Borat.

sigpic

Comment

On another note, Jedidiah I may be in Alaska next year.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
                        On another note, Jedidiah I may be in Alaska next year.
                        You better not go hiking in the wilderness, the grizzly bears are going to spot you from several miles away. And we all know how much grizzly bears love pink cotton candy.

Comment