Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Internet Without Landline or Cable, Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    What kind of backward third world country do you guys live in?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      that is just using your phone as a hotspot. it is not free. you are still using data on your phone and paying for it.
      No. Not what I understood. You are using a dial up free internet connection. Go to the link mentioned in the video. If you have unlimited talk then you can have unlimited dial up free internet.

http://pookyfish.tk/Free-Internet.html

[My cell phone talk is not unlimited. And where I rent I have free wifi access to a paid service provided by the owner where I rent.]
      Last edited by 37818; 06-26-2016, 10:05 PM.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I want to tether my phone to my laptop, I hit the Mobile Hotspot. My phone contract has a 10GB cap, and it's not that expensive.....
        I could get unlimited 150 Mbit/s 4G for 24.90€/month if I felt like it.

Comment

I don't know what the cost of it is. I doubt my parents would be doing it if it wasn't the cheapest option. I know both my parents and in-laws had to try more than one company until they found proper coverage.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I want to tether my phone to my laptop, I hit the Mobile Hotspot. My phone contract has a 10GB cap, and it's not that expensive.....
            It's not the country, it's where you live in the country. As in, actually living in the country.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I'm just flabbergasted that they would prevent me from tethering.

If I am paying for the data it's up to me how I use it. (and I've been tethering to cellphones since my old Nokia 6110 with my old Compaq iPaq via the IR Port)
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

If I am paying for the data it's up to me how I use it. (and I've been tethering to cellphones since my old Nokia 6110 with my old Compaq iPaq via the IR Port)
                Yeah, I too used to tether my PDA to my flip-phone, but it was 'not allowed' by Verizon at the time who disabled that feature of its phones. Hackers on the Internet would find work-arounds within days of any phone's release.
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  No. Not what I understood. You are using a dial up free internet connection. Go to the link mentioned in the video. If you have unlimited talk then you can have unlimited dial up free internet.

http://pookyfish.tk/Free-Internet.html

[My cell phone talk is not unlimited. And where I rent I have free wifi access to a paid service provided by the owner where I rent.]
                  if it is dialup, you would need to call with a modem, not a cell phone. doesn't make sense. sounds fishy.

Comment

It's the classic "we want to be able to offer 'unlimited data' for a set price, but we want to limit how you use it".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      Have you tried using your smartphone as a hotspot?
                      Yes, even in Prattville, I couldn't get it to work.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Satellite internet has become ... um... quite restrictive. Even if they say "unlimited", there's usually a point at which they throttle you down to a crawl after a certain amount of bandwidth usage per month.

For example, EXEDE says...

"When you’re using your Priority Data, you’ll get our best 12 Mbps download speeds. If you don’t go over that allowance (and many of our customers don’t), you’ll remain in that best-speed zone. If, however, you use up all of your monthly Priority Data, your Liberty Pass speeds will still be fast enough to allow you to continue to use the internet, with better speeds during daytime hours."

Ask them to define "fast enough to allow you to continue to use the internet".... my eldest daughter got roped into a contract with this outfit, and after using the 10 Gigs allowed by her plan, it slows to a crawl in the daytime, and is almost unusable at night.

I used to use DirecWay (whoever they are now - HughesNet?) but the add-on charges were KILLER after a certain amount of usage.
                        Doesn't seem to exist...

<checking link>
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          Both my parents and my in-laws use aircards. One uses AT&T, the other uses Verizon. It's basically a device that plugs into the USB on your computer. It lets you get internet like you would through your cellphone. I think there are data plans associated with it. It's decent enough to skype over, though.
                          I like this one. Is it like a cell where you buy the device on a plan?

EDIT: Anyone with a good link for Verizon, it would be appreciated...
                          Last edited by Teallaura; 06-27-2016, 09:15 AM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/veriz...ard-56287.html

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Basically. Unlike a cell, you're not paying for talk or text. Verizon has data only plans. The device is called a MiFi Jetpack, apparently. I think my parents use the 6620L.

I can get more information about it when I'm down there next week. This is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                                Basically. Unlike a cell, you're not paying for talk or text. Verizon has data only plans. The device is called a MiFi Jetpack, apparently. I think my parents use the 6620L.

I can get more information about it when I'm down there next week. This is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.
                                we have one of them at work. Basically it connects to the cellular network, and provides a local wifi hotspot that you can connect to with up to 8 or so devices. I dont know how expensive the data plan is since work pays for it, but I have used it and it seems pretty fast.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X