Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Internet Without Landline or Cable, Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the Mi-Fi is basically a small hot spot device - as C mentioned, for Data only. It often allows up to 5 clients (laptops, phones, ipads, etc) to log in. They are usually just a small device that plugs into AC by means of a small transformer, and broadcast an SSID just like any wireless router.

Often these include a certain amount of data, with a "pay per meg" after that, or a "throttling down" in download speed after a certain threshhold.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      we have one of them at work. Basically it connects to the cellular network, and provides a local wifi hotspot that you can connect to with up to 8 or so devices. I dont know how expensive the data plan is since work pays for it, but I have used it and it seems pretty fast.
      Yup, but, again - it depends on how close a tower is. I have a friend who uses one of these when they travel, and sometimes they get ZERO signal. Who would have thought that, when we go "camping out", we'd look for a spot in close proximity to a cell phone tower?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

how can there be a place without cable TV? My grandparents had cableTV in the middle of Appalachia in the 1970's for cryin' out loud. Is Alabama a third world country or something? did you move into the middle of a swamp?

Comment

how can there be a place without cable TV? My grandparents had cableTV in the middle of Appalachia in the 1970's for cryin' out loud. Is Alabama a third world country or something? did you move into the middle of a swamp?
          There are a number of houses in the area I live without cable, including mine. For whatever reason, the company elected not to run lines up and over the hills. I know of a few people that paid to have it brought to their house, but most of us are out of luck. I get my internet over the landline.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            There are a number of houses in the area I live without cable, including mine. For whatever reason, the company elected not to run lines up and over the hills. I know of a few people that paid to have it brought to their house, but most of us are out of luck. I get my internet over the landline.
            Yeah, the neighborhood (if you can call it that) where I just moved from had no cable TV. There were two few houses on our "street" to justify the expense, apparently, and we were too far out "in the woods".

Comment

Yeah but is Oregon even really part of civilization, though? I heard they might get paved roads within the next 20 years if things go well.

Comment

Yeah but is Oregon even really part of civilization, though? I heard they might get paved roads within the next 20 years if things go well.
                I have pavement all the way up to my house.

We have an interstate and everything!
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I have pavement all the way up to my house.

But, how many sunny days a year do you get?

Comment

Originally posted by carrikature View Post
                    i have pavement all the way up to my house.

!!! Ecree !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      But, how many sunny days a year do you get?
                      Which side of the house?
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Which side of the house?
                        The outside.

Comment

Thanks!
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So, which do you guys think is the best option? I want internet this weekend. I can buy a new phone or a mifi thing - neither high end - but not both.

Anyone know how I can find out how good the cell service is in my area for a given company? I have tracfone which works fine for phone in the house. I have Virgin Mobile 3G which doesn't work well for either at home - all though it does fine down the street. I'm thinking I need a new carrier either way.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              So, which do you guys think is the best option? I want internet this weekend. I can buy a new phone or a mifi thing - neither high end - but not both.

Anyone know how I can find out how good the cell service is in my area for a given company? I have tracfone which works fine for phone in the house. I have Virgin Mobile 3G which doesn't work well for either at home - all though it does fine down the street. I'm thinking I need a new carrier either way.
                              Do you have a Radio Shack? Often, they'll handle multiple carriers, and won't want you mad at them if you get a weak signal, so they'll probably recommend the best signal for your area - they're local.

Comment

By the way, I think Walmart offers a hot spot, too.... not sure of the coverage or pricing in your area.

And if you can talk to neighbors - they may have gone through the "I tried Verizon, but the signal out here is terrible..." routine.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X