Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Internet Without Landline or Cable, Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    By the way, I think Walmart offers a hot spot, too.... not sure of the coverage or pricing in your area.

And if you can talk to neighbors - they may have gone through the "I tried Verizon, but the signal out here is terrible..." routine.
    her neighbors are probably alligators and copperheads.

Comment

Do you have a Radio Shack? Often, they'll handle multiple carriers, and won't want you mad at them if you get a weak signal, so they'll probably recommend the best signal for your area - they're local.
      Not any more - the nearest is 45 minutes away.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        her neighbors are probably alligators and copperheads.
        No, those are your kinfolk. I moved away from them, remember?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Not any more - the nearest is 45 minutes away.
          Ah, not much help then.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

By the way, I think Walmart offers a hot spot, too.... not sure of the coverage or pricing in your area.

And if you can talk to neighbors - they may have gone through the "I tried Verizon, but the signal out here is terrible..." routine.
            Walmart does - I'm thinking of getting one. But if it doesn't work I'm stuck for the weekend.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ah, not much help then.
              No. I miss Ratshack. Seriously, they had the best support team anywhere.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The outside.
                I have a clearing in my backyard that gets a lot of sun. The front yard doesn't get very much. I can be hot in the backyard and want something long-sleeved in the front. Thank you, forest.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

So, which do you guys think is the best option? I want internet this weekend. I can buy a new phone or a mifi thing - neither high end - but not both.
                  If your cell phone works well enough, go for the mifi.

Anyone know how I can find out how good the cell service is in my area for a given company? I have tracfone which works fine for phone in the house. I have Virgin Mobile 3G which doesn't work well for either at home - all though it does fine down the street. I'm thinking I need a new carrier either way.
                  You can try looking at the coverage maps, but those aren't always super accurate. From my parents's and in-laws' experience, you could end up trying more than one to find suitable coverage. Ask the carrier about satisfaction or coverage guarantees. Make sure you know what you're getting into.

If you have friends using different carriers, ask them to come by and check their coverage. I think you can try pay-as-you-go phones, too, but that's additional cost.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I talked to the guy at Wal-Mart. He is familiar with the area and wasn't hopeful. But he did think Verizon is the best bet. They have one in stock.

But I messed up my billpay so I can't edit the payment I planned to so I can't get it this week.

Sigh...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment