Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Morality Objective or Relative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only way morality can be objective is if we have some sort of objective purpose. In theism, that is what God gives us. The only one in atheism I can think about is reproduction (via evolution), so if any atheistic morality is objective, it would have to be "Do whatever it takes to reproduce".
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

• Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
      The only way morality can be objective is if we have some sort of objective purpose. In theism, that is what God gives us. The only one in atheism I can think about is reproduction (via evolution), so if any atheistic morality is objective, it would have to be "Do whatever it takes to reproduce".
      It is too simplistic to say the atheist morality is "Do whatever it takes to reproduce." Ultimately the Philosophical Naturalist belief is based on the Methodological Naturalism nature of our physical existence, and the science of evolution which is more than plausible. The claim of objective from the theist perspective is too circular to be a good argument. It simply assumes God is the objective source of everything including morality, and there is no objective evidence to falsify or demonstrate this, much less prove it.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment