Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Apologetics And Personal Testimony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    Don't count your chicken 'til they hatch.
    Suppositions 3:15, NIV
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      sorry I didn't mean to sound so snarky, Nick.

I do think that relying JUST on personal testimony is wrong, and that is why we do need apologetics, to sift the wheat from the chaff, but I also think that our personal experiences are vital in connecting with people so that they will actually stick around and listen to the gospel and the apologetics. It especially helps if your personal testimony has a connection with their lives, like how you stopped drinking because of Jesus, would be attractive to someone struggling with drugs or alcohol. They definitely should then want to know more and know WHY what you claim is true, not blindly accept your feelings on the matter.
      Do note please that in my article, I never said to not ever use your personal testimony. In our day and age, that's here to stay. It does have some impact in an individualistic society. What I did warn against was having just your personal testimony. Let's consider that you go to someone to tell them about Christianity and how do you know it's the real deal? Well your father had a changed life and it was such an impact and now you have one. That's wonderful. I'm not knocking that. But what happens if they say that they have something similar with their religious belief system or maybe even their new psychological practice? WHat happens if they say "Well I'm happy you found something that works for you, but that's not for me." The person with just a testimony has nothing at that point. It's why I have recommended that a person start if they can with why they're a Christian and then go to what a difference it makes. Perhaps you might not have to do that, but one should have that necessarily there so one can be ready. If you can have both, have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        I don't know how many people I've known who've heard a sermon, or ran into someone with a testimony, or even read a passage in scripture and said to themselves, "That's me! They're talking to me!" And maybe it isn't the case that the pastor, or the person offering his testimony, or the passage of scripture is literally and specifically talking to that person, but I believe that Jesus has the power to talk to people through other people and through his written word, and sometimes the Holy Spirit guides that person to the right time and place so that a fire is lit. And this happens in such a way that it wouldn't be far off to say that one recognized something/someone prophetic or divine had come into their life.
        Sorry, but I'm not seeing that here. This is not some generalized message as if Jesus is talking to a crowd and saying "How many of you have had five husbands and are now living with someone who is not your husband?" No. This is a specific word to a specific person which told her Jesus had some divine insight into her specifically. That's what opened her up. Until then, she thought he was just some random person who was acting awfully bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
          Do note please that in my article, I never said to not ever use your personal testimony. In our day and age, that's here to stay. It does have some impact in an individualistic society. What I did warn against was having just your personal testimony. Let's consider that you go to someone to tell them about Christianity and how do you know it's the real deal? Well your father had a changed life and it was such an impact and now you have one. That's wonderful. I'm not knocking that. But what happens if they say that they have something similar with their religious belief system or maybe even their new psychological practice? WHat happens if they say "Well I'm happy you found something that works for you, but that's not for me." The person with just a testimony has nothing at that point. It's why I have recommended that a person start if they can with why they're a Christian and then go to what a difference it makes. Perhaps you might not have to do that, but one should have that necessarily there so one can be ready. If you can have both, have at it.
          I believe the role of apologetics is to explain and argue for the truth of the gospel, but first you need a willing audience. a connection. and that is where personal testimonies come in. both are important. your blog seemed to me to relegate personal testimonies to a side line. that was what I was arguing against. for me seeing my dad's changed life opened my eyes to the reality of God. before that I was like you said, "well that may be good for you but so what?" - but actually seeing my alcoholic dad stop drinking, become a christian, and become a real father, made me want to know more and be open to the gospel. apologetics and sermons and the bible then convinced me of the truth, and I believed fully. My grandpa was a preacher and I had went to church before and knew the basics of the gospel, but it never reached me at a personal level before. My dad changed all that and the holy spirit had a foothold on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I believe the role of apologetics is to explain and argue for the truth of the gospel, but first you need a willing audience. a connection. and that is where personal testimonies come in. both are important. your blog seemed to me to relegate personal testimonies to a side line. that was what I was arguing against. for me seeing my dad's changed life opened my eyes to the reality of God. before that I was like you said, "well that may be good for you but so what?" - but actually seeing my alcoholic dad stop drinking, become a christian, and become a real father, made me want to know more and be open to the gospel. apologetics and sermons and the bible then convinced me of the truth, and I believed fully. My grandpa was a preacher and I had went to church before and knew the basics of the gospel, but it never reached me at a personal level before. My dad changed all that and the holy spirit had a foothold on me.
            I did a study on this some years back for CRI.

http://www.equip.org/article/when-ap...as-evangelism/

Comment

I largely agree with Nick. I'm very lukewarm towards personal testimony as an apologetic. An atheist could easily claim that your beliefs are based only on feelings, not evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                I largely agree with Nick. I'm very lukewarm towards personal testimony as an apologetic.
                I don't think anybody is advocating for personal testimony "as an apologetic".

An atheist could easily claim that your beliefs are based only on feelings, not evidence.
                An atheist could easily claim anything.

I think the key is the involvement of the Holy Spirit.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually CP, that is claimed. I've seen churches talk about doing evangelism and all they talk about is how to give their personal testimony. Nothing else.

Comment

Actually CP, that is claimed. I've seen churches talk about doing evangelism and all they talk about is how to give their personal testimony. Nothing else.
                    I guess I live a very sheltered life, then.

Comment

Yep. I got in trouble once at a small group meeting for suggesting that maybe we should learn apologetics too.

Comment

One thing that I find interesting is that if you log onto atheist websites (which are predominantly devoted to making specific arguments against Christianity), a good number of them will have personal testimonies for how the person left faith. The makers of these atheist websites clearly see the value of testimony in shaping people's views.

Another thing about testimonies are they can help demonstrate what other people do once they conclude Christianity is true.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'd like today then to advise you of how and when to use your personal testimony.
                          I think this is the part that bothers me, Nick.
                          I know your passion is apologetics.
                          My passion is winning souls. I've been doing that for nearly 50 years. At the risk of being accused of 'credentialism" again (no, it wasn't you) it seems to be working just fine the way I've been doing it, and, for a Christian, I believe it's Job One. Obviously, millions of other Christians disagree.

As I often say (and I'll take my whippin') when somebody "advises" me on how to win souls - I think you're selling the Holy Spirit short.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                            I largely agree with Nick. I'm very lukewarm towards personal testimony as an apologetic. An atheist could easily claim that your beliefs are based only on feelings, not evidence.
                            I'm curious... have you actually prayed with somebody as they received Christ as savior?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I guess I live a very sheltered life, then.
                              Nah, you're just a smarter pastor than 99% of them out there is all. I know I could come up to you and mention the Arian heresy and not get a blank stare.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                As I often say (and I'll take my whippin') when somebody "advises" me on how to win souls - I think you're selling the Holy Spirit short.
                                The Mormons would say the same to you. How do you answer the missionaries that come to your door?

It's OK to say you'd call one of us. My point would be that each of us has a different "Job One." But all those Ones are supposed to call on each other when they need them. Nick and I have been told repeatedly that our Job One doesn't matter. Even Mike Licona has been told that much in person. We've seen churches go all out promoting evangelistic events while refusing to do anything for apologetics/discipleship programs. I'm sure you'd be more accommodating, though.

Comment