Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Some Necessary Areas In Apologetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Necessary Areas In Apologetics

What do I think has to be studied?

The link can be found here.

----

What do you study when you study apologetics? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

One of the mistakes that can be made in apologetics is to think you have to be able to answer every objection out there. You can't. You won't. There are too many new religious movements rising up and too many scientific discoveries being discussed and too many ethical quandaries and too many philosophical topics that no one can study it all.

It's okay to not have an answer to something. In fact, many times someone will send me a question and I'll happily refer them to someone else. It's not my specialty area. I might give them a little something to tide them over and then say "But if you want a better answer, I recommend you contact XYZ." If you think otherwise and that you will be able to answer everything, you need to really rethink your position on apologetics.

Still, there are some areas that I think you will definitely need to have at least a basic grounding in even if it isn't your specialty.

First, you definitely need something on the resurrection of Jesus. This is the central claim of the Christian faith. You need a reason beyond "The Bible says so." Look into the resurrection of Jesus. Fortunately, there exist books today like Gary Habermas and Mike Licona's The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus.

Second, you need something on basic Biblical reliability. How do you know that the Bible has been handed down accurately? How do you know that the information in there is reliable. You are again fortunate. You have works such as Craig Blomberg's Can We Still Believe The Bible? and The Historical Reliability of the Gospels.

Third, you need some reason for believing that God exists. Again, there are books that can help you with even this. An excellent recent read that also has the benefit of being incredibly funny is Andy Bannister's The Atheist Who Didn't Exist.

Fourth, you need something on the deity of Jesus and why He is unique. Again, I have a recommendation. Get your hands on Bowman and Komoszewski's Putting Jesus In His Place.

Fifth, you need something that can help you with moral issues. I happen to think the writings of J. Budziszewski are incredibly good at this one. A favorite mine of his on this topic is The Line Through The Heart.

sixth, I recommend that you get something on sound thinking. The rules of logic are quite helpful and there's an old classic that I still love. I can't think of a better work now than Peter Kreeft's Socratic Logic.

Some of you might be wondering about some issues that I did not include in this. Why did I not include anything on creation? That is because creation can become a debate that gets us caught in an idea of science vs. religion all too easily and some people focus so much on the first few chapters of Genesis that they never get to the resurrection.

Of course, in all of this, you will need to definitely do Bible study. Don't become someone who reads other books so much that you never read the book. It will be important as you go along this path that you come to learn more about the Bible. There are many many issues that are worthy of discussion, but these are major ones that I would make sure I have some basics on.

We'll be discussing more about apologetics next time.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Excellent suggestions! I participate in a lot of Mormon apologetics (the joys of being an ex-Mormon) and these are definitely pieces I would find useful in my own arena. Thank you!
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

I would include theodicy in there as well as it is one of the main reasons that people walk away (somebody actually just posted a thread this past week detailing the problem of evil as being one of the reasons they chose to apostasize). I maintain that it's something that we have to ultimately conclude "we don't know" on but there are still insights that Christians have come up with that are helpful in that regard.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I would include theodicy in there as well as it is one of the main reasons that people walk away (somebody actually just posted a thread this past week detailing the problem of evil as being one of the reasons they chose to apostasize). I maintain that it's something that we have to ultimately conclude "we don't know" on but there are still insights that Christians have come up with that are helpful in that regard.
        I think that is a good point to include theodicy. My view is God is not merely all good but God is infinitely good. Infinite good cannot be negated by any amount of evil. God's good not being finite. if it were, then any knowledge of evil on God's part would make God evil. And as the account goes the knowledge of good and evil in the fall was God's (Genesis 3:22). So like a lie, needs truth, evil needs finite good. God creating made a finite good creation and so created evil (Isaiah 45:7). This is not well understood by even some Christian apologists and translators - resorting to special pleadings.
        Last edited by 37818; 07-04-2016, 08:59 PM.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          I think that is a good point to include theodicy. My view is God is not merely all good but God is infinitely good. Infinite good cannot be negated by any amount of evil. God's good not being finite. if it were, then any knowledge of evil on God's part would make God evil. And as the account goes the knowledge of good and evil in the fall was God's (Genesis 3:22). So like a lie, needs truth, evil needs finite good. God creating made a finite good creation and so created evil (Isaiah 45:7). This is not well understood by even some Christian apologists and translators - resorting to special pleadings.
          Are you not confusing quantity with quality?
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            Are you not confusing quantity with quality?
            The difference between "all" and "infinite?" God being infinitely good is both quality and quantity.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The difference between "all" and "infinite?" God being infinitely good is both quality and quantity.
              Possibly "perfectly good." Or "highest good."
              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                Possibly "perfectly good." Or "highest good."
                A finite good cannot be perfectly good without immutablity. A finite good can never be the highest good because there can always be a greater good to it - unless it is some how both finite and infinite.

Comment

A finite good cannot be perfectly good without immutablity. A finite good can never be the highest good because there can always be a greater good to it - unless it is some how both finite and infinite.
                  ## To say that God is "Infinitely" Good - curiously enough, something the Bible does not say - is to say that His Goodness has no fines, no boundaries. It is not quantitative - that would imply that God is quantitative, and that it is separable from God. Calling it "not bounded" tells us what the Divine Goodness is not, rather than what it is.

Comment