Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Death in Tesla Car on "Auto Pilot"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in Tesla Car on "Auto Pilot"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/self-driv...205642937.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. announced Thursday the first fatality in a wreck involving a car in self-driving mode, the 40-year-old owner of a technology company who nicknamed his vehicle "Tessy" and had praised its sophisticated "Autopilot" system just one month earlier for preventing a collision on an interstate. The government said it is investigating the design and performance of the system aboard the Tesla Model S sedan.

Joshua D. Brown, of Canton, Ohio, died in the accident May 7 in Williston, Florida, when his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes, according to government records obtained Thursday.

Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the truck and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" at the time of the crash and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi told The Associated Press in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

Tesla Motors Inc. said it is not possible to watch videos on the Model S touch screen. There was no reference to the movie in initial police reports.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Weird.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yeah, and a whole new realm for litigation!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Does not surprise me. There are serious shortcomings in the technology it seems.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Does not surprise me. There are serious shortcomings in the technology it seems.
          Starting with the human driver.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It should be noted that the Tesla cars have so far averaged 140 million miles of driving, and the average fatal accident rate of a human driver is once per 90 million miles. At least Tesla stated as much in their original release, where they also stressed that the auto-pilot was still in beta, and was meant currently more as a drivers assist.

Originally posted by https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tragic-loss
            We learned yesterday evening that NHTSA is opening a preliminary evaluation into the performance of Autopilot during a recent fatal crash that occurred in a Model S. This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated. Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles. Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles. It is important to emphasize that the NHTSA action is simply a preliminary evaluation to determine whether the system worked according to expectations.

Following our standard practice, Tesla informed NHTSA about the incident immediately after it occurred. What we know is that the vehicle was on a divided highway with Autopilot engaged when a tractor trailer drove across the highway perpendicular to the Model S. Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied. The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer, with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S. Had the Model S impacted the front or rear of the trailer, even at high speed, its advanced crash safety system would likely have prevented serious injury as it has in numerous other similar incidents.

Comment

I have had my computer fail completely, more than once. In a computer driven car a fatal failure may be literally fatal.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I have had my computer fail completely, more than once. In a computer driven car a fatal failure may be literally fatal.
                That reminds me of the missile cruiser (Aegis missile cruiser USS Yorktown) the US Navy had deployed as "totally automated".... during their sea trials, the computers "blue screened" and left them dead in the water AND defenseless.

Comment

Computers are not reliable enough for this sort of thing.

Comment

There are reports that the driver was watching a movie at the time (Tesla still expects the driver to be praying attention to the road)
                    http://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/816899...rida-officials
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      There are reports that the driver was watching a movie at the time (Tesla still expects the driver to be praying attention to the road)
                      http://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/816899...rida-officials
                      I don't think it is reasonable to expect a driver to pay attention when he is not doing anything. If I were the driver my reaction time were I not driving myself would be bad, very bad.

And what is the point of having a computer driven car if you still have to watch the road all the time and second guess the computer?

Comment

The software was a beta test. The non-driver driver should have been paying attention.
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I don't think it is reasonable to expect a driver to pay attention when he is not doing anything. If I were the driver my reaction time were I not driving myself would be bad, very bad.

And what is the point of having a computer driven car if you still have to watch the road all the time and second guess the computer?
                          The "autopilot" system is still under going extensive testing and is not meant to be used as a self-drive system yet. And Tesla has been very careful to make that clear.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                            The "autopilot" system is still under going extensive testing and is not meant to be used as a self-drive system yet. And Tesla has been very careful to make that clear.
                            That does not cover my objections. How does one maintain full attention on the driving environment when not being able to respond? I know my attention would wander in short order. Nor does it explain the point of having a computer driven car if you still have to watch the road all the time and second guess the computer.

Then there is the fact that the very best computer components do fail on occasion. Thus there are guaranteed to be times when these automated cars will fail.

Comment

That does not cover my objections. How does one maintain full attention on the driving environment when not being able to respond? I know my attention would wander in short order. Nor does it explain the point of having a computer driven car if you still have to watch the road all the time and second guess the computer.

Then there is the fact that the very best computer components do fail on occasion. Thus there are guaranteed to be times when these automated cars will fail.
                              As I understand it, the nature of Tesla's autopilot is that it's an assistance. The driver can respond and correct things. It's not like an aeroplanes autopilot.

From Tesla's comments on the AutoSteer
                              https://www.teslamotors.com/presskit/autopilot
                              Source: Tesla

Autosteer (Beta)
                              Autosteer keeps the car in the current lane and engages Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to maintain the car’s speed. Using a variety of measures including steering angle, steering rate and speed to determine the appropriate operation AutoSteer assists the driver on the road, making the driving experience easier.

Tesla requires drivers to remain engaged and aware when Autosteer is enabled. Drivers must keep their hands on the steering wheel.

© Copyright Original Source

The system is not meant as a self drive where the driver gets to nod off or watch movies. (that is the ultimate goal I am sure, but the technology is not there yet)

-Ben Witherington III

Comment