Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you as a Christian come to the understanding . . .

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

How did you as a Christian come to the understanding . . .

For those of you who are allowed to post in the [two] "Christian Only" forums, please explain how you came to the understanding that the one and only Son of God was eternally begotten of the Father from eternity. [Moderators, and please everyone, this is not to be a debate thread, but questions are to be allowed, Thanks.]
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Question: Is this yet another thread that, in effect, is "arguing moderation"?

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

3. Amen mossrose, Adrift amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I did not really come to an understanding, but I wimped out, gave up surrendered to my enemy (God). I did come to my senses and see what I had been doing and where I was heading and did not want to go there. Yes, if I was macho I might have been willing to pay the piper and taken what I truly deserved, but I selfishly wanted something better. I knew I did not deserve anything better and to go to God was like asking for help again (I had been insincere with my asking in the past), but I was tired of fighting Him. Once I just turned (mentally), I was showered with unbelievable gifts.

5. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Question: Is this yet another thread that, in effect, is "arguing moderation"?
    Moderation if needed. Thank you.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

7. Amen The Remonstrant amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bling View Post
    I did not really come to an understanding, but I wimped out, gave up surrendered to my enemy (God). I did come to my senses and see what I had been doing and where I was heading and did not want to go there. Yes, if I was macho I might have been willing to pay the piper and taken what I truly deserved, but I selfishly wanted something better. I knew I did not deserve anything better and to go to God was like asking for help again (I had been insincere with my asking in the past), but I was tired of fighting Him. Once I just turned (mentally), I was showered with unbelievable gifts.
    OK. How by that did you come to the understanding .that the one and only Son of God was eternally begotten of the Father from eternity?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth…” (Proverbs 8:22-26)

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

10. Amen Cow Poke, mossrose, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I read Athanasius' On the Incarnation of the Word.

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It was a process of understanding for me. and in depth study of the Scripture.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth…” (Proverbs 8:22-26)
    Could you please give an exegetical explanation how you get from that text the understanding the one and only Son is begotten of the Father from eternity? Thanks.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    I read Athanasius' On the Incarnation of the Word.
    Is this pdf a good translation for it?