Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How did you as a Christian come to the understanding . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you as a Christian come to the understanding . . .

For those of you who are allowed to post in the [two] "Christian Only" forums, please explain how you came to the understanding that the one and only Son of God was eternally begotten of the Father from eternity. [Moderators, and please everyone, this is not to be a debate thread, but questions are to be allowed, Thanks.]
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Question: Is this yet another thread that, in effect, is "arguing moderation"?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I did not really come to an understanding, but I wimped out, gave up surrendered to my enemy (God). I did come to my senses and see what I had been doing and where I was heading and did not want to go there. Yes, if I was macho I might have been willing to pay the piper and taken what I truly deserved, but I selfishly wanted something better. I knew I did not deserve anything better and to go to God was like asking for help again (I had been insincere with my asking in the past), but I was tired of fighting Him. Once I just turned (mentally), I was showered with unbelievable gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Question: Is this yet another thread that, in effect, is "arguing moderation"?
        Moderation if needed. Thank you.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by bling View Post
          I did not really come to an understanding, but I wimped out, gave up surrendered to my enemy (God). I did come to my senses and see what I had been doing and where I was heading and did not want to go there. Yes, if I was macho I might have been willing to pay the piper and taken what I truly deserved, but I selfishly wanted something better. I knew I did not deserve anything better and to go to God was like asking for help again (I had been insincere with my asking in the past), but I was tired of fighting Him. Once I just turned (mentally), I was showered with unbelievable gifts.
          OK. How by that did you come to the understanding .that the one and only Son of God was eternally begotten of the Father from eternity?

Comment

The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth…” (Proverbs 8:22-26)
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I read Athanasius' On the Incarnation of the Word.

Comment

It was a process of understanding for me. and in depth study of the Scripture.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth…” (Proverbs 8:22-26)
                  Could you please give an exegetical explanation how you get from that text the understanding the one and only Son is begotten of the Father from eternity? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                    I read Athanasius' On the Incarnation of the Word.
                    Is this pdf a good translation for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      It was a process of understanding for me. and in depth study of the Scripture.
                      OK. Is it too difficult to make plain from Scripture?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Could you please give an exegetical explanation how you get from that text the understanding the one and only Son is begotten of the Father from eternity? Thanks.

Yup. Same old same old.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          Yup. Same old same old.
                          Is asking a question to support a view wrong? On the supposition I do not benefit from it - don't you suppose others can benefit by having a Biblical understanding for the view that the one and only Son of God is begotten of the Father from eternity? Again, this is not to debate it, but to present the claim and support it.

Don't you think if I could I would do it myself? And if I could I wouldn't have bothered with this. Rather I would defend it.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                            Sure. I'll break down the passage:

- The Lord
                            YHWH. Elohim. Adonai. El Shaddai. El Elyon... you get the picture.

- possessed me
                            Meaning ownership. Wisdom (which is Christ - See 1 Corinthians 1:24) is stating it was possessed by the Lord

- in the beginning of his way,
                            In the beginning, Wisdom was possessed by God (Or as John 1:1 says, was WITH God.)

- before his works of old.
                            Wisdom existed and was possessed by God even before God began to work in Gen 1:1

- I was set up
                            Wisdom states it was "set up" (Hebrew nacak is typically used of anointing something, casting metal in a mold, or installing something in place to accomplish a task). In this form, it means wisdom was "brought forth"

- from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
                            These 3 terms form a series of modifiers that emphasize the eternal nature of Wisdom that was brought forth from God.

- When there were no depths, I was brought forth;
                            The term "brought forth" (Hebrew chuwl) is the same as uses of childbirth and presenting something that was carried. So, Wisdom says it was "generated" from the Lord before anything existed.

- when there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth…” (Proverbs 8:22-26)
                            Same term here, and another strong modifier to emphasize the eternal nature of Wisdom.

So, from these verses, we can see that Wisdom, or the Word, or Christ Jesus, is begotten and possessed by the Lord God from eternity.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Thank you Bill.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X