Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How did you as a Christian come to the understanding . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Thank you Bill.
    Gy0e_f-maxage-0.gif
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

OK. How by that did you come to the understanding .that the one and only Son of God was eternally begotten of the Father from eternity?
      It was not “by that” (wimping-out/surrendering/giving up) that “I” came to an understanding, but by being willing to humbly accept pure charity, God through Christians presented the Good News. My part was just in wanting something better, even if it meant accepting charity.

Comment

For those of you who are allowed to post in the [two] "Christian Only" forums, please explain how you came to the understanding that the one and only Son of God was eternally begotten of the Father from eternity. [Moderators, and please everyone, this is not to be a debate thread, but questions are to be allowed, Thanks.]
        We know of the deity, preexistence, and eternality of the Word particularly from John 1 (amongst other NT texts). As for the eternal sonship doctrine, the scriptural foundations for this teaching are not so certain. It may be that the NT language of sonship applies exclusively to the Word made flesh: Jesus Christ in his incarnate state. Was the divine Logos always a Son or did he assume the role of sonship at some point in human history (i.e. approximately two thousand years ago)?
        Last edited by The Remonstrant; 07-09-2016, 05:57 AM.
        For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Hebrews 1:3 is one passage that can be read as supporting the doctrine of eternal generation:

Source: Hebrews 1:3 ESV

3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power.

© Copyright Original Source

What's interesting is that Hebrews 1:3 seems to refer back to Wisdom 7:25-26, lending further support that the writers of the New Testament viewed Jesus as the personified Wisdom of God:

Source: Wisdom 7:25-26, NKJV

25So she is the exhalation of the power of God And the emanation of the pure glory of the Almighty; Therefore nothing defiled enters her. 26For she is the radiance of eternal light, A spotless mirror of the operative power of God And the image of His goodness.

Nelson, Thomas. NKJV, The Orthodox Study Bible, eBook: Ancient Christianity Speaks to Today's World (Kindle Locations 52320-52326). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
            We know of the deity, preexistence, and eternality of the Word particularly from John 1 (amongst other NT texts). As for the eternal sonship doctrine, the scriptural foundations for this teaching are not so certain. It may be that the NT language of sonship applies exclusively to the Word made flesh: Jesus Christ in his incarnate state. Was the divine Logos always a Son or did he assume the role of sonship at some point in human history (i.e. approximately two thousand years ago)?
            How do you understand Proverbs 30:4, '"Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?"?'
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology by Kevin Giles is a pretty good book in support of the doctrine of the Eternal Generation of the Son.

Comment

Another reason I hold to the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son (and the eternal procession of the Holy Spirit) is that if you deny these two doctrines and say that the Son and the Spirit are the source of their own godhood and being (which you have to do if you deny these doctrines) ISTM that you're coming perilously close to affirming polytheism.

Comment

I don't know. I've believed that Jesus was fully God and fully man after the incarnation for as long as I had the cognitive ability to affirm that. I thought the scriptures were pretty clear that Jesus is/was/always will be God and that the Son is begotten of the Father(whatever that means, sapient attribute???).
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    Another reason I hold to the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son (and the eternal procession of the Holy Spirit) is that if you deny these two doctrines and say that the Son and the Spirit are the source of their own godhood and being (which you have to do if you deny these doctrines) ISTM that you're coming perilously close to affirming polytheism.
                    Admittedly, there does appear to be a logical difficulty in affirming that the Word and the Spirit are autotheos. The eternal generation doctrine has always sought to protect against the implication that there are three deities.
                    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

How do you understand Proverbs 30:4, '"Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?"?'
                      I honestly cannot think of any wisdom to impart on this text at present.

Comment

The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology by Kevin Giles is a pretty good book in support of the doctrine of the Eternal Generation of the Son.
                        In a comment from the link on a reason for this book, ". . . the eternal generation of the Son is routinely rejected by some evangelicals as unbiblical, . . . "
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit are the One LORD God, ". . . The LORD our God is one LORD: . . ." -- Deuteronomy 6:4. ". . . I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. . . ." -- Isaiah 43:11.

Comment

In a comment from the link on a reason for this book, ". . . the eternal generation of the Son is routinely rejected by some evangelicals as unbiblical, . . . "
                            I'd like to know who these "some evangelicals" are...
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              I'd like to know who these "some evangelicals" are...
                              Here is a link to a PDF: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...soz_LDdneMWDrA

Comment

The Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit are the One LORD God, ". . . The LORD our God is one LORD: . . ." -- Deuteronomy 6:4. ". . . I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. . . ." -- Isaiah 43:11.
                                I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X