Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How did you as a Christian come to the understanding . . .

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology by Kevin Giles is a pretty good book in support of the doctrine of the Eternal Generation of the Son.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Another reason I hold to the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son (and the eternal procession of the Holy Spirit) is that if you deny these two doctrines and say that the Son and the Spirit are the source of their own godhood and being (which you have to do if you deny these doctrines) ISTM that you're coming perilously close to affirming polytheism.

3. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't know. I've believed that Jesus was fully God and fully man after the incarnation for as long as I had the cognitive ability to affirm that. I thought the scriptures were pretty clear that Jesus is/was/always will be God and that the Son is begotten of the Father(whatever that means, sapient attribute???).
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Another reason I hold to the doctrine of the eternal generation of the Son (and the eternal procession of the Holy Spirit) is that if you deny these two doctrines and say that the Son and the Spirit are the source of their own godhood and being (which you have to do if you deny these doctrines) ISTM that you're coming perilously close to affirming polytheism.
    Admittedly, there does appear to be a logical difficulty in affirming that the Word and the Spirit are autotheos. The eternal generation doctrine has always sought to protect against the implication that there are three deities.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    How do you understand Proverbs 30:4, '"Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?"?'
    I honestly cannot think of any wisdom to impart on this text at present.
    [I]f what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. (1 Jn 2.24; 5.12, LEB)

<https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Farewell. (Sat., 24 Mar. 2018)

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Eternal Generation of the Son: Maintaining Orthodoxy in Trinitarian Theology by Kevin Giles is a pretty good book in support of the doctrine of the Eternal Generation of the Son.
    In a comment from the link on a reason for this book, ". . . the eternal generation of the Son is routinely rejected by some evangelicals as unbiblical, . . . "
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit are the One LORD God, ". . . The LORD our God is one LORD: . . ." -- Deuteronomy 6:4. ". . . I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. . . ." -- Isaiah 43:11.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In a comment from the link on a reason for this book, ". . . the eternal generation of the Son is routinely rejected by some evangelicals as unbiblical, . . . "
    I'd like to know who these "some evangelicals" are...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

10. Amen 37818 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    I'd like to know who these "some evangelicals" are...
    Here is a link to a PDF: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...soz_LDdneMWDrA

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit are the One LORD God, ". . . The LORD our God is one LORD: . . ." -- Deuteronomy 6:4. ". . . I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. . . ." -- Isaiah 43:11.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this.