Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Making Laws that Make Sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any action undertaken by an individual that does not violate the rights of others should not be illegal. It really is that simple. That building a society on such principles would lead to massive drops in crime is simply a happy accident.
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
      Any action undertaken by an individual that does not violate the rights of others should not be illegal. It really is that simple. That building a society on such principles would lead to massive drops in crime is simply a happy accident.
      This is basically a tautology, so I assume you mean "crime" in a generic, non-legal sense?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I think it is fair to assume that criminals - especially hardened ones - will remain criminals. They will look for other illegal activities if the profit is taken out of the ones they now engage in.
        More importantly, dealing drugs in and of itself isn't violent, and when it is they mostly kill each other (i suspect this was also the case with prohibition). If they start turning to house invasions or prostitution, it's gonna get bloodier for innocent people.

This was seen at the end of Prohibition as organized crime moved from distributing alcohol into other "lucrative" endeavors. But the end of Prohibition also brought about a dramatic drop in violent crime which is something that ought to be factored into the discussion.
        I generally consider comparisons with Prohibition fallacious. The twenties and thirties had a lot more legitimate opportunities for the type of people who become dumb violent thugs today.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Wrt the example in question in some jurisdictions possessing more than a few grams of pot (enough for a couple of joints) was considered as having more than enough for private consumption. I had a friend (lost contact with him a few years ago) who smoked an ounce a week (would buy a quarter pound at the start of each month). He didn't like the idea of going out and buying some pot every other day. AFAIK he never sold any.

Obviously he isn't the norm but it does bring up the issue of what constitutes too much for personal consumption -- a couple of joints worth or a month's supply.
          Yeah, even in my cop days, we had those "threshholds", and sometimes you'd find a young kid JUST OVER the limit.... a lot of us would take such a person to the bathroom and say, "watch -- I'm flushing this small amount down the head, and only writing you the 'personal amount'". If we wrote just a wee tad more, the kid would go before a judge where there was mandatory sentencing for a serious hit.

Sometimes, of course, the guy would be a total jerk, and wouldn't listen to what we were trying to do, so we'd let him have the full ride.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Er, not so fast - the 'it was all Prohibition' theory doesn't make sense when you look at homicide rates for the decade before and after - there really isn't a sudden drop off in '33. The biggest decline is between '34 and '35 - but it is still well above the pre-Prohibition levels. It doesn't drop below until '38 - and that at the high end of the pre-Prohibition levels - it's not until the early '40's and the end of the Depression that levels come back down to the lowest pre-Prohibition levels.

Also, the rates were already increasing significantly prior to Prohibition. While they do continue that upward spiral throughout the Prohibition era, there's no sudden jump - in fact, homicide rates level off during most of Prohibition. I couldn't find violent crime rates so that might support the argument - but it seems unlikely since homicide and violent crime are often mirrors of one another.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...y/homrate1.htm
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Er, not so fast - the 'it was all Prohibition' theory doesn't make sense when you look at homicide rates for the decade before and after - there really isn't a sudden drop off in '33. The biggest decline is between '34 and '35 - but it is still well above the pre-Prohibition levels. It doesn't drop below until '38 - and that at the high end of the pre-Prohibition levels - it's not until the early '40's and the end of the Depression that levels come back down to the lowest pre-Prohibition levels.

Also, the rates were already increasing significantly prior to Prohibition. While they do continue that upward spiral throughout the Prohibition era, there's no sudden jump - in fact, homicide rates level off during most of Prohibition. I couldn't find violent crime rates so that might support the argument - but it seems unlikely since homicide and violent crime are often mirrors of one another.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...y/homrate1.htm
              You're right that it didn't go back to pre-Prohibition levels principally because crime became Big Business during that time with many folks moving into the "industry." As I said, criminals - especially hardened ones - will remain criminals. As a secondary effect Prohibition also led to a general lessening in respect for the law.

And while the rate was steadily climbing prior to Prohibition (and I didn't say otherwise the rate dropped sharply during the decade after prohibition

Prohibition started in 1920 and ended in Dec. of 1933 (notice the sharp drop starting a month later in 1934). There was no leveling off of the rate during Prohibition

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Actually, there was (hard as heck to see in your chart because it's covering such a long time). The rate hovered in the 8.4 area for several years (1925 - 1929).

1932 was 9.0. 1933 - 9.7 and 1934 - 9.5 - a .2 drop. Several identical drops occur during Prohibition (22-23, 24-25 and 28-29). The biggest drop is 34-35 (from 9.5 to 8.3). The lowest post-Prohibition levels occur during WWII. It would be interesting to compare the enlistment numbers for the 33 - 39 period to see if that had an effect (the probable explanation for the war drop being enlistment). The numbers don't bear out a 'Prohibition only' theory - nor do they eliminate a Prohibition effect - it simply isn't as stark in the homicide rates as indicated. And it doesn't happen between 33-34 as claimed.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Er, not so fast - the 'it was all Prohibition' theory doesn't make sense when you look at homicide rates for the decade before and after - there really isn't a sudden drop off in '33. ....
                  While some of the gruesome drug cartel wars have produced headlines, we're not really looking at homicides here, we're looking at supporting a very expensive habit. You don't generally kill people to score a couple hundred bucks for some drugs, you burgle them instead.

And certainly the incarceration rate in the US is phenomenal, and calls for some sort of correction. When fully half of our jailed population is in for nonviolent drug offenses, we need a different approach. I find it perverse to argue that we should not eliminate a fabulous goldmine for organized crime, on the grounds that some of these people will simply turn to other crimes, go for smaller and higher-hanging fruit. Some of them will, of course. But if Joe Potsmoker can just head down to the store to buy some for a quarter the previous price, chance are he'll do that without first commiting yet another crime.

I'm uncomfortable with the argument that if we criminalize something nearly everyone does, this gives us a pretext to lock away the truly bad people we can't nail for the truly bad things they are actually doing! For one thing, that approach makes law enforcement capricious. And for another thing, it's NOT the real bad ones who are being locked away, it's their downstream customer base.
                  Last edited by phank; 03-06-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                    While some of the gruesome drug cartel wars have produced headlines, we're not really looking at homicides here, we're looking at supporting a very expensive habit. You don't generally kill people to score a couple hundred bucks for some drugs, you burgle them instead.

And certainly the incarceration rate in the US is phenomenal, and calls for some sort of correction. When fully half of our jailed population is in for nonviolent drug offenses, we need a different approach. I find it perverse to argue that we should not eliminate a fabulous goldmine for organized crime, on the grounds that some of these people will simply turn to other crimes, go for smaller and higher-hanging fruit. Some of them will, of course. But if Joe Potsmoker can just head down to the store to buy some for a quarter the previous price, chance are he'll do that without first commiting yet another crime.

I'm uncomfortable with the argument that if we criminalize something nearly everyone does, this gives us a pretext to lock away the truly bad people we can't nail for the truly bad things they are actually doing! For one thing, that approach makes law enforcement capricious. And for another thing, it's NOT the real bad ones who are being locked away, it's their downstream customer base.
                    I seriously doubt that prices will decrease much if any as the government will keep it up for tax revenue. Has there been a marked drop in prices in Washington or Colorado? Or in states where it is available for "medical purposes" like California?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I seriously doubt that prices will decrease much if any as the government will keep it up for tax revenue. Has there been a marked drop in prices in Washington or Colorado? Or in states where it is available for "medical purposes" like California?
                      A friend who just got back from Colorado said that the "medical grade" marijuana was 2 to 4 times as expensive, but was the exact same quality -- it's cheaper to buy it "in the sticks". (And, believe me, he should know! )
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Teal, I don't think that I or anyone else proposed a 'Prohibition only' theory

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          A friend who just got back from Colorado said that the "medical grade" marijuana was 2 to 4 times as expensive, but was the exact same quality -- it's cheaper to buy it "in the sticks". (And, believe me, he should know! )
                          Confirms what I suspected. The government won't let prices drop when they can keep them up and collect the high prices as taxes.

Comment

Confirms what I suspected. The government won't let prices drop when they can keep them up and collect the high prices as taxes.
                            Well, besides that, the "medical supply" places for marijuana have to pay rent, or mortgage payments, utilities, salaries... I wonder if they have to chip in for Obamacare.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Well, besides that, the "medical supply" places for marijuana have to pay rent, or mortgage payments, utilities, salaries... I wonder if they have to chip in for Obamacare.
                              Well so did pot dealers but the reason that the prices were so high was the fact that it was illegal and there was a substantial risk involved. Those two reasons have been removed and prices have not changed. I suspect this is because the government is keeping the price up and pocketing the cash.

Comment

Well so did pot dealers but the reason that the prices were so high was the fact that it was illegal and there was a substantial risk involved. Those two reasons have been removed and prices have not changed. I suspect this is because the government is keeping the price up and pocketing the cash.
                                The risk was also part of the price. Spending the same amount per ounce with no legal risk is a LOT cheaper than spending it with the risk of some whimsical jail sentence that, depending on the judge, could be decades.

Comment