Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

SB1146 Legislation against Moral Instruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB1146 Legislation against Moral Instruction

SB1146

This is a bill in California for promoting discrimination against poor students and against diversity in college educational institutes. It is a bill also against teaching Christian focused morality -- again there is a loss of diversity to instruct future leaders.

Pray that such a bill will be opposed in the end. I found out about it on the Concordia university website (cui.edu). Basically the bill would place restrictions against providing grant money to students attending colleges and universities who discriminates in hiring or treatment of students. More specifically it would remove the ability of Christian universities to hire teaching staff aligned with Christian faith -- and place a lot of technicalities that could lead to these institutions from being able to receive money granted to these students --based on need.

The bill went from bad to worse within the last month. There had been wording allowing exception for parts of the universities that dealt with seminary training -- that selection of professors for seminary classes could be selected based on religious interests of the university even if other classes were required to allow anyone to teach them. But that wording has since been removed.

Basically then the freedom of a student to go to such universities is diminished. California students relying on certain financial aid may lose those benefits in the middle of a degree program. Also, grant money would not be available to institutes which are trying to stick to their goals of preparing students for the world within a moral Christian framework (or any other religions which may be affected). This is not where moral-focused schools are given benefits that other universities don't have -- but it one of treating all education equal with diversity.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Here is, I think, a good source for information on this...

http://www.californiafamily.org/2016...leges-sb-1146/

And here's their blog with updates - http://www.californiafamily.org/2016...-1146-growing/

We’ve talked to you before about SB 1146, the bill that would restrict the religious liberty rights of colleges and universities throughout California. Simply put, this bill would prevent religious schools that receive state funding from performing actions that California deems “discriminatory” on the basis of religion. This would include things like requiring students to take certain theology or religious studies courses, requiring students to attend chapel, having corporate prayer in convocations or classes, mandating student moral conduct codes based in the school’s religious doctrine, and integrating religious faith throughout the school’s non-theological curriculum.

Obviously, these are normal activities that religious schools can and should legitimately do–in fact, a school that doesn’t do those things can hardly call itself religious! Out of an overwrought attempt to shield LGBT students from “discrimination” within Christian schools, SB 1146 would fundamentally damage a religious school’s ability to self-govern and to maintain its religious identity. This bill would forbid private colleges and universities from authentically serving their students according to their historic charters.

Meanwhile, here's an "Action Alert" from the California Family Alliance:
        https://secure2.convio.net/cafc/site...rAction&id=133
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Here's from a letter from my assembly member today

Sacramento Update

SB 1146 Is An Attack on Religious Liberty and Higher Education

When the legislature reconvenes in August, we will have an opportunity to discuss a bill that attacks religious liberty in higher education. Senator Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) is pushing Senate Bill 1146 which threatens the First Amendment liberty rights of California universities and colleges by forcing them to abandon their religious convictions in order for their students to qualify for state financial assistance. While ostensibly aimed at institutions, the real victims here would be students who chose to attend these colleges and universities. These students will no longer be able to pursue their dreams of higher education and finish their degrees without being saddled with debt.

I spoke and voted against this bill when it came before me in the Judiciary Committee and plan to strongly oppose it next month as it continues through the legislative process. Faith based private colleges and universities have a right to hold and practice their core beliefs. I proudly proud stand by that principle and am prepared to fight to protect those rights.

One of the faith based colleges potentially affected by SB 1146 is Irvine’s Concordia University. I recently toured the campus and engaged in a robust discussion on the intersection of faith and higher education. Concordia University proudly serves over 5,000 undergraduate and graduate students and has produced highly trained professionals in the fields of psychology, theater, education, business, and politics. Concordia does not force religion on its students but encourages them to pursue the highest form of ethics in work and in life. If only Sacramento could do the same.

Make your voice heard. Please contact my office at (714) 665-6868 and encourage your friends to contact their local Assembly Member to support religious freedom and vote no on this egregious bill.

Comment