Announcement

Collapse

JW - Watchtower Society Guidelines

Theists only.

Knock, Knock!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (the Jehovah's Witnesses). This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Regligions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: [urlhttp://theologyweb.com/campus/help#theologywebfaq/theologywebdecorum]Here[/url]
See more
See less

The JW's at my door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The JW's at my door

So the JW's came to my doorstep, under the guise of looking at an empty house. I got into an interesting discussion with the gentleman. (there were 4 of them.) He asked me if I had religion and I decided to mention that I was a non-practicing Catholic though a regular church goer. I think he thought I would be a good person to "hook", until I told him that I was taught the Christian faith under a Duke divinity professor and had read through four translations of Scripture including the American Standard Version which as I understood was the version Charles Taze Russell and the Millerites had used in the 1800's -the 1950's until the NWT was published specifically for the JW's I also told him I had read the small brown book that was handed out from the watchtower society for those interested and compared it to the KJV the ASV and the NASB. He was taken a back. I asked him not to debate, but isn't it a standard belief that y'all understand Jesus to be Michael the Archangel? He said yes, and attempted to justify it. I reminded him that I had three children in the house, and didn't have time to explain why I didn't believe it, but if he would please come back and bring his wife or someone else, I would be happy to discuss and not persuade him to believe one way or the other.
    Another thing we discussed was the "sign of the times." Of course he brought up the antichrist, which I think was supposed to scare me, but as I am a partial preterist, I mentioned what I thought about the first resurrection and what I believed regarding the second resurrection. Eventually he asked me if I was a theology student, and I told him I was just an arm chair theologian, but I would still like to talk. He said he'd consider it, but I think he was nervous to come back as he left and never said another word to me after I mentioned I thought Jesus knew when he was coming back but we had no idea.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Wow. That sounded like fun for you, not for them.

But I have a question of your intended tactic.
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    . . . after I mentioned I thought Jesus knew when he was coming back . . .
    Knowing Mark 13:32 says, ". . . But of that day or that hour knoweth no one, not even the angels in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. . . ." And Acts 1:7, ". . . And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority. . . ."
    Last edited by 37818; 07-13-2016, 08:30 AM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      Wow. That sounded like fun for you, not for them.

But I have a question of your intended tactic.

Knowing Mark 13:32 says, ". . . But of that day or that hour knoweth no one, not even the angels in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. . . ." And Acts 1:7, ". . . And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority. . . ."
      I think he knows now in Heaven buthe certainly did not know on earth and as such gave no knowledge to the apostles.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        I think he knows now in Heaven but he certainly did not know on earth and as such gave no knowledge to the apostles.
        Only if one is to believe the second person of the Trinity became the Son only in the incarnation.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The JWs and SDA in my area seem to be rather low-key. Occasionally I'll come home to find a tract from one or the other group in my door. A couple JWs stopped by the other day when I was home from work, and they just gave me a tract and invited me to a local gathering.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X