Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

ancient tool use by monkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ancient tool use by monkeys

Part I

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/36767373

Researchers from Oxford University, working in Brazil, found ancient "nut-cracking tools" - 700-year-old stone hammers that capuchin monkeys used to open cashew nuts.
    This is the earliest evidence yet of monkey tool use outside Africa.
    The findings are published in the journal Current Biology.

One of the Oxford team, primatologist Dr Lydia Luncz, said the find was a "window back into the past".

The researcher dug beneath the trees, using charcoal in the layers to carbon date the stone tools. As observations first revealed about a decade ago, capuchin monkeys use stone hammers and anvils to break into the cashew nuts - placing a cashew on a large stone anvil and hitting with a hammer.

The monkeys, Dr Luncz explained, bring these stones to the cashew nut trees. And that behaviour enabled the archaeologists to work out where they should dig for ancient tools.
    The liquid inside the nutshell, Dr Luncz explained, discolours the outside of the stone, allowing the researchers to identify the stone tools, and even to test them chemically to confirm what they were used for.

© Copyright Original Source

http://www.bbc.com/news/36767373
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Part II
    Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/36767373

One question the discovery may prompt is whether early human behavior was influenced by observations of monkeys using stones as tools.

Dr Catherine Hobaiter from the University of St Andrews, who studies primate social behaviour, said that both the tool use findings and the new field of primate archaeology were "fascinating".

"These days if we find a 'new' tool we really shouldn't assume that it was made by humans or our homo ancestors anymore," she told BBC News.

"Either you don't have to be smart to make a tool, or we've been underestimating other species by a long way."

According to this new evidence, the capuchins were using stone tools before European settlers arrived in the New World. But Dr Michael Haslam of the University of Oxford, who led the study, said there was much more to find.

"We definitely don't think we have the oldest activity," he told BBC News.

"We only began this project in the last few years and we have to imagine we're in the same situation as human archaeology was when they started to find the first evidence of stone tools. That [evidence] now goes back more than three million years in Africa.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-14-2016, 04:42 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment