Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Paid Less Than $5.00 For a Gallon of Milk Today

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Use to be able to buy powered milk with 1% milk fat. Can not find it any where now.
    They discovered they could make more money by marketing it as wallpaper paste.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Yeah...powdered milk and chocolate (as in Nestlé chocolate in a can) are recommended for emergency food supplies. Amazing what you can do with powdered milk. And chocolate in any form.
    It would take an emergency for me to consume it. It was all that was available on my submarine during deployments. Powdered eggs are pretty bad too, but we only had to resort to those towards the end of a deployment after the fresh eggs ran out.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    It would take an emergency for me to consume it. It was all that was available on my submarine during deployments. Powdered eggs are pretty bad too, but we only had to resort to those towards the end of a deployment after the fresh eggs ran out.
    Powdered milk and eggs aren't meant to be eaten straight - they are additives.

You guys drink STP, too, don't you? This explains much about Rogue...

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Powdered milk and eggs aren't meant to be eaten straight - they are additives.
    I use milk for cereal, and only very rarely for cooking.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I use milk for cereal, and only very rarely for cooking.
    Well, THERE's your problem!

You can mix it 1:1 with whole milk for a decent enough taste - for something like cereal. I buy it so I can have milk on hand when I decide to bake - I probably don't use two gallons in a year.

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Powdered milk IS yukky...but with cocoa it's doable. And, as Teal pointed out, it's best for cooking/baking.

and as an emergency supply when a disaster hits.

7. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Powdered milk IS yukky...but with cocoa it's doable. And, as Teal pointed out, it's best for cooking/baking.

and as an emergency supply when a disaster hits.
    We actually used to keep a box of "shelf milk" in the pantry for 'emergencies'.

41NoU14jhHL.jpg

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.