Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

They Are Going After The Churches:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Are Going After The Churches:

So let me get this right, if my Church has public events (like bake sales or craft sales, etc... which we often do) we must by law provide transgender facilities?

The Iowa Civil Rights Commission is being sued for claiming it has the right to control the content of church services that are “open to the public.”

The lawsuit filed by the Alliance Defending Freedom on behalf of Fort Des Moines Church of Christ is part of a nationwide battle against the implementation of President Obama’s declared foreign-policy priority in his final year in office: “gay” rights.”

At issue in the Iowa case are state mandates that protect “transgender rights.” Among them are allowing men to enter women’s shower rooms, dressing rooms and restrooms if they say they are women, and banning statements in meetings “open to the public” that “might cause individuals to believe that they are unwelcome because of their perceived gender identity”

The lawsuit charges the mandates violate the U.S. Constitution’s protections for free speech, religion, expressive association, due process and the right to peaceably assemble.
    “This is a civil rights action to stop the commissioners and the executive director of the Iowa Civil Rights Commission, the Iowa attorney general, and the city of Des Moines from compelling an Iowa church to communicate government messages to which it objects and from forcing the church to use its building in violation of its religious beliefs.”

It explains the commission believes its interpretation of state law allows it “to force churches to allow individuals access to church restrooms, shower facilities, and changing rooms based on his or her gender identity, irrespective of biological sex.”

http://www.wnd.com/2016/07/governmen...OIsD3Cf0zrU.99
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    So let me get this right, if my Church has public events (like bake sales or craft sales, etc... which we often do) we must by law provide transgender facilities?
    It seems to go way beyond that. I'm looking at this part in particular:
    ...banning statements in meetings “open to the public” that “might cause individuals to believe that they are unwelcome because of their perceived gender identity”...

The way this reads, if someone were to step up to a pulpit and read from the Bible where it says that homosexuality is an abomination, they would be in violation of this statute since church services are, by nature, open to the public. This is a clear violation of the First Amendment.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It seems to go way beyond that. I'm looking at this part in particular:
      ...banning statements in meetings “open to the public” that “might cause individuals to believe that they are unwelcome because of their perceived gender identity”...

The way this reads, if someone were to step up to a pulpit and read from the Bible where it says that homosexuality is an abomination, they would be in violation of this statute since church services are, by nature, open to the public. This is a clear violation of the First Amendment.
      Since when did the liberals care about the the First Amendment when it interferes with their agenda? They will do their best to force their "beliefs" on the rest of us.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

So, when we were talking about a GLBIXGHLTYW "agenda", the proponents of GLBIXGHLTYW scoffed at us declaring there is no GLBIXGHLTYW "agenda" - all they want is "same treatment", to be treated "equally".

And, so the lie continues...
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah it basically affects all church services since they are all open to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Yeah it basically affects all church services since they are all open to the public.
            Right, I don't see how it could be otherwise.

Comment

Funny how almost no one on this site has a problem when religion is being forced down the throats of Americans but the moment it's the other way around, a hissy fit ensues.
              Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                but the moment it's the other way around
                Good as always to see libs drop masks and admit truth.
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Funny how almost no one on this site has a problem when religion is being forced down the throats of Americans but the moment it's the other way around, a hissy fit ensues.
                  Another Dunning–Kruger victim I see.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                    Good as always to see libs drop masks and admit truth.
                    I'm very critical of liberals, are you critical of conservatives?

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

I'm very critical of liberals, are you critical of conservatives?
                      Really, I have not seen that on these boards.

Comment

Don't be ridiculous. These are open to the public....meaning anyone is free to come hear us. There is no forcing anything. That's why this action is outrageous.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Really, I have not seen that on these boards.
                          We never debate those issues. We mostly debate religion/non-religion issues.

I have said numerous times on this site that liberal PC has gone off the rails into absurdity, and that liberals aren't talking about radical Islam when they should.

Comment

We never debate those issues. We mostly debate religion/non-religion issues.

I have said numerous times on this site that liberal PC has gone off the rails into absurdity, and that liberals aren't talking about radical Islam when they should.
                            Well I have had tons of threads on political correctness on this site and I don't remember you ever joining in.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              Don't be ridiculous. These are open to the public....meaning anyone is free to come hear us. There is no forcing anything. That's why this action is outrageous.
                              That's not the issue in the post. The issue, it is claimed, is that churches are being forced to accept transgender bathroom laws. If that's not Ok, then so are the 10 commandments being on government property, or teaching creationism in school, or having Christian prayers lead by school staff in public schools, or forcing people to attend AA meetings where they're forced to acknowledge a god exists, or county judges refusing to marry a secular couple.

Comment