Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

If Evolution is True, why do Humans need a Savior but the Great Apes do Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    yeah I know. and I know what they believe in part, thus my answers.

I don't know the details about "when they got souls" and I suspect belief that varies from person to person. I gave you one answer I heard before, about ensouling two homosapiens and they became "Adam and Eve"

But I do know that even Theistic Evolutionists believe man has an immortal soul and animals don't, and that they are not sentient enough to understand morality and therefore are not held morally responsible for their actions, not by man or by God. So even if they did have an immortal soul, it would not need saving because they cannot actually sin, being amoral. The same with small children and adults who have mental deficiencies that keep them from being moral agents. Like someone who has the IQ of 75. Or a 5 year old. They don't understand right from wrong in a way that makes them responsible morally for their choices.
    You clearly believe in the Creation story. Even though I believe you are wrong, at least your position on this issue is congruent. I want to hear from "moderate" Christians such as Adrift and Stein and see how they spin...I mean...explain this position.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
      But how do you know that God gave humans a soul?
      Well Biblically we know that we have a "spirit."

And if God has given humans a soul, at what point in the evolutionary development of humans did God give them souls? I don't need an exact date or event, but basically: Did God give souls to our primate ancestors or only to the first humans as we are known today? Did God give souls to the primate ancestors from whom scientists believe both humans and the great apes descend?
      But we are not apes, we are humans and only humans are ensouled. Created in image (spiritual/moral image) of God.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
        see how they spin...
        Troll.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Well Biblically we know that we have a "spirit."

But we are not apes, we are humans and only humans are ensouled. Created in image (spiritual/moral image) of God.
          Do you believe that Darwin's theory of Evolution and the Natural Selection of species is true?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Troll.
            Knuckle-dragging fundie.

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The Bible does not teach that man has an immortal soul (Matthew 10:28; Ezekiel 18:4).

Might add animals also have a soul and spirit too. Only mankind was made in God's image - not the other animals.
                Last edited by 37818; 07-18-2016, 04:04 PM.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Grow up.

I am not crashing other threads with off-topic comments. In fact, I am typically only commenting on my own threads. If TW does not want non-believers starting threads they don't like, then kick us all off of your site. Otherwise, join the topic of discussion or butt out!

Comment

You clearly believe in the Creation story. Even though I believe you are wrong, at least your position on this issue is congruent. I want to hear from "moderate" Christians such as Adrift and Stein and see how they spin...I mean...explain this position.
                    Why should I bother explaining to you what I believe if you've already made up your mind it's spin. I'm not dancing for your amusement Gary.

Comment

Gray needs to be thankful you hadn't pinned him yet.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Grow up.

I am not crashing other threads with off-topic comments. In fact, I am typically only commenting on my own threads. If TW does not want non-believers starting threads they don't like, then kick us all off of your site. Otherwise, join the topic of discussion or butt out!
                        Grow up your own self. I was merely commenting on your own admission that you are simply waiting for someone to "spin" their beliefs so you can attack them. You are not asking anything honestly and it is very evident. Hence, you are simply a troll.

Now, I will leave, since you asked me, oh, so very nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          1. They don't have an immortal soul so there is nothing to save.
                          2. They are not intelligent enough to be morally responsible for their actions. Animals are amoral.
                          I think you hit a bull's eye on the first one

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Why should I bother explaining to you what I believe if you've already made up your mind it's spin. I'm not dancing for your amusement Gary.
                            I think the truth is that you are afraid of putting into writing what many truly conservative Christians will see as blatant heresy and you are also afraid that they will agree with me that your position is non-sensically incongruent.

Comment

I think the truth is that you are afraid of putting into writing what many truly conservative Christians will see as blatant heresy and you are also afraid that they will agree with me that your position is non-sensically incongruent.
                              Gary, this isn't Back to the Future 2. I don't freak out when someone calls me chicken, especially when it's someone I esteem with as little regard as I do you. I've mentioned my views on this forum a number of times. So far the mods haven't required me to change my faith designation. I think i'll be okay.

Comment

In a nutshell, anatomically modern humans are not necessarily spiritual humans. I can't explain it particularly well, so look at Ed Feser's work on the matter. Articles are called something like "the monkey in the soul."

Comment