Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: If Evolution is True, why do Humans need a Savior but the Great Apes do Not?

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    This discussion is addressed to Christians who believe in "theistic evolution". I am trying to understand how someone who believes in Darwin's Evolution of Species can also believe that humans need a Savior. You do not seem to believe in Evolution, so I am confused why you are choosing to enter this discussion.
    Because I don't think it matters, although I believe in the literal creation of Man. The PURPOSE behind our existance is the key

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You would probably have to ask Nick or Rogu06, but I would guess that they would say that God picked two homosapiens and gave them souls and called them Adam and Eve. Me? I just believe the bible story. what a nut, right?
    No, I do not believe that you are a "nut". In my interactions with you I perceive you to be very intelligent and thoughtful. I believe that you are simply mistaken.

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Because I don't think it matters, although I believe in the literal creation of Man. The PURPOSE behind our existance is the key
    So you believe that there is no contradiction in believing that humans developed from lower life forms over a process of millions of years, just as did all other animals, but yet only humans need a Savior?

40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So you believe that there is no contradiction in believing that humans developed from lower life forms over a process of millions of years, just as did all other animals, but yet only humans need a Savior?
    But why should there be a contradiction?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Interesting, but not the topic of this thread. This thread is addressed to Christians such as "Adrift" and Stein who believe in Evolution and also seem to believe that humans need a Savior. To me these positions are contradictory. I am trying to understand how so many "moderate" Christians can simultaneously hold these two positions.
    yeah I know. and I know what they believe in part, thus my answers.

I don't know the details about "when they got souls" and I suspect belief that varies from person to person. I gave you one answer I heard before, about ensouling two homosapiens and they became "Adam and Eve"

But I do know that even Theistic Evolutionists believe man has an immortal soul and animals don't, and that they are not sentient enough to understand morality and therefore are not held morally responsible for their actions, not by man or by God. So even if they did have an immortal soul, it would not need saving because they cannot actually sin, being amoral. The same with small children and adults who have mental deficiencies that keep them from being moral agents. Like someone who has the IQ of 75. Or a 5 year old. They don't understand right from wrong in a way that makes them responsible morally for their choices.

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    yeah I know. and I know what they believe in part, thus my answers.

I don't know the details about "when they got souls" and I suspect belief that varies from person to person. I gave you one answer I heard before, about ensouling two homosapiens and they became "Adam and Eve"

But I do know that even Theistic Evolutionists believe man has an immortal soul and animals don't, and that they are not sentient enough to understand morality and therefore are not held morally responsible for their actions, not by man or by God. So even if they did have an immortal soul, it would not need saving because they cannot actually sin, being amoral. The same with small children and adults who have mental deficiencies that keep them from being moral agents. Like someone who has the IQ of 75. Or a 5 year old. They don't understand right from wrong in a way that makes them responsible morally for their choices.
    You clearly believe in the Creation story. Even though I believe you are wrong, at least your position on this issue is congruent. I want to hear from "moderate" Christians such as Adrift and Stein and see how they spin...I mean...explain this position.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But how do you know that God gave humans a soul?
    Well Biblically we know that we have a "spirit."

And if God has given humans a soul, at what point in the evolutionary development of humans did God give them souls? I don't need an exact date or event, but basically: Did God give souls to our primate ancestors or only to the first humans as we are known today? Did God give souls to the primate ancestors from whom scientists believe both humans and the great apes descend?
    But we are not apes, we are humans and only humans are ensouled. Created in image (spiritual/moral image) of God.
    "We can understand hell in its aspect of privation. All your life an unattainable ecstasy has hovered just beyond the grasp of your consciousness. The day is coming when you will wake to find, beyond all hope, that you have attained it, or else, that it was within your reach and you have lost it forever. C.S. Lewis

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    see how they spin...
    Troll.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Well Biblically we know that we have a "spirit."

But we are not apes, we are humans and only humans are ensouled. Created in image (spiritual/moral image) of God.
    Do you believe that Darwin's theory of Evolution and the Natural Selection of species is true?

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Troll.
    Knuckle-dragging fundie.