Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If Evolution is True, why do Humans need a Savior but the Great Apes do Not?

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

If Evolution is True, why do Humans need a Savior but the Great Apes do Not?

Many "moderate" and even some self-identified "conservative" Christians here on TW seem to be very comfortable with the theory of evolution and the natural selection of species. These same conservative/moderate Christians also believe that human beings are "sinners" who are in need of a savior. Are these two beliefs compatible? Here's the question:

"If human beings are evolved from lower life forms, why do we need a Savior? If we and all other animals on earth have evolved from the same primordial slime, why do we humans need a Savior but the great apes, cows, and chickens do not?"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    1. They don't have an immortal soul so there is nothing to save.
    2. They are not intelligent enough to be morally responsible for their actions. Animals are amoral.
    Bacon

3. Amen DesertBerean, Adrift amen'd this post.
    Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    1. They don't have an immortal soul so there is nothing to save.
    2. They are not intelligent enough to be morally responsible for their actions. Animals are amoral.
    How, when, and where did humans receive an immortal soul?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    God gave it to them, how else? And why do we have to know when?
    For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

JESUS

6. Amen Adrift, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The scriptures teach that people are in the image of God. There's nothing said about what image animals have. And God said animals were the domain of people. There's no teaching of the people and animals being equal.

8. Amen 37818, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am not an evolutionist so you would have to ask them. But regardless of #1, you still have #2. They are not intelligent enough to be moral actors and responsible for their actions. To put it simpler, they don't understand right from wrong in a moral way, so they are not responsible for their "sins" - if a Tiger eats a man, is he arrested for murder? Why not?
    Bacon

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    God gave it to them, how else? And why do we have to know when?
    But how do you know that God gave humans a soul?

And if God has given humans a soul, at what point in the evolutionary development of humans did God give them souls? I don't need an exact date or event, but basically: Did God give souls to our primate ancestors or only to the first humans as we are known today? Did God give souls to the primate ancestors from whom scientists believe both humans and the great apes descend?

timeline_chart.gif

Source: https://www.exploratorium.edu/eviden..._timeline.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gary; 07-18-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But how do you know that God gave humans a soul?

And if God has given humans a soul, at what point in the evolutionary development of humans did God give them souls? I don't need an exact date or event, but basically: Did God give souls to our primate ancestors or only to the first humans as we are known today? Did God give souls to the primate ancestors from whom scientists believe both humans and the great apes descend?
    You would probably have to ask Nick or Rogu06, but I would guess that they would say that God picked two homosapiens and gave them souls and called them Adam and Eve. Me? I just believe the bible story. what a nut, right?
    Bacon

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    The scriptures teach that people are in the image of God. There's nothing said about what image animals have. And God said animals were the domain of people. There's no teaching of the people and animals being equal.
    This discussion is addressed to Christians who believe in "theistic evolution". I am trying to understand how someone who believes in Darwin's Evolution of Species can also believe that humans need a Savior. You do not seem to believe in Evolution, so I am confused why you are choosing to enter this discussion.

Banned
    Faith
    Non-supernaturalist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am not an evolutionist so you would have to ask them. But regardless of #1, you still have #2. They are not intelligent enough to be moral actors and responsible for their actions. To put it simpler, they don't understand right from wrong in a moral way, so they are not responsible for their "sins" - if a Tiger eats a man, is he arrested for murder? Why not?
    Interesting, but not the topic of this thread. This thread is addressed to Christians such as "Adrift" and Stein who believe in Evolution and also seem to believe that humans need a Savior. To me these positions are contradictory. I am trying to understand how so many "moderate" Christians can simultaneously hold these two positions.