Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Story of creation: Genesis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
    You don't have to buy it . . . unless, when you're discussing religion or culture, you want people who know something about either to think you know something, too.
    This is very true. They certainly interrelate.

I have an idea of how culture influencing the religious views of its members works. In the case of evolution skepticism, how does culture affect the views of its members, and wouldn't the absence moral concerns about slippery slopes render it a non-issue?

I often think about how culture results in James White (or believers like him) trying to make TEs feel like inconsistent believers for accepting evolution. I'd like to perceive this through the cultural lens, as well.

http://youtu.be/tAkz6EizBU0

Comment

You don't have to buy it . . . unless, when you're discussing religion or culture, you want people who know something about either to think you know something, too.
      That is the worst none answer I have heard since Jorge.

The elephant in the room remains the overwhelming evidence of religious belief and the acceptance of evolution. I may remind you most Christians, atheists, agnostics, Jews, many Moslems, many Buddhists, many Hindus and others are a part of the same Western American culture. The difference in their acceptance of evolution remains strongly correlated with religious belief within the same culture.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I may remind you most Christians, atheists, agnostics, Jews, many Moslems, many Buddhists, many Hindus and others are a part of the same Western American culture. The difference in their acceptance of evolution remains strongly correlated with religious belief within the same culture.
        I have said nothing that is inconsistent with this observation, but the datum does nothing to support your assertion that all Christian nations are like the United States.

Comment

That is the worst none answer I have heard since Jorge.

The elephant in the room remains the overwhelming evidence of religious belief and the acceptance of evolution. I may remind you most Christians, atheists, agnostics, Jews, many Moslems, many Buddhists, many Hindus and others are a part of the same Western American culture. The difference in their acceptance of evolution remains strongly correlated with religious belief within the same culture.
          Simple answer is that religion is a subculture within bigger evil culture (the world). Certain beliefs are seen as originating from the world. How an idea like anti-evolutionism is shared and believed within such a subculture is no mystery. It's driven by confusion over what the "world" means and how the culture should perceive it according to its belief system.

If said belief system warns of compromise and ideological slippery slopes, the fear of falling into those traps can impose belief expectations.

All religions don't do this, but this is as good a guess as any as to how culture interoperates with religion. They do go hand in hand.

Comment

I have said nothing that is inconsistent with this observation, but the datum does nothing to support your assertion that all Christian nations are like the United States.
            I corrected my error, and there is no consistent basis for your assertion that acceptance or rejection of evolution is based on culture.

Again polls most often use religious language even in other countries, of course the religious make up is different in different countries, but nonetheless the breakdown in the countries is clearly based on religion. I gave another issue that church attendance is clearly a factor and this is one of the variable taken into enough polls to show that regardless of country or culture, the higher church attendance translates to a lower acceptance of evolution. Another factor observed in polls is education level and race (some difference, but consistent with religious belief), and of course, the difference between scientists and non-scientists. These are differences within cultures, and not form culture to culture.

What observations would these be consistent with? I do not of any polls that are geared to culture differences, and provide an objective basis for cultural differences. Can you provide any polls that deal with culture differences?
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-03-2014, 06:27 AM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
              but the datum does nothing to support your assertion that all Christian nations are like the United States.
              Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              I corrected my error
              The error you corrected was a statement about the beliefs of all Christians.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              and there is no consistent basis for your assertion that acceptance or rejection of evolution is based on culture.
              I don't remember making that assertion, but I did point out that it is absurd to treat culture and religion as if one had nothing to do with the other.

Comment

The error you corrected was a statement about the beliefs of all Christians.
                The primary consideration is Christianity and the acceptance of the science of evolution. The differences between other beliefs fit the pattern well. but the USA is by far predominantly Christian. Many polls break this issue down by the different beliefs within Christianity.

I don't remember making that assertion, but I did point out that it is absurd to treat culture and religion as if one had nothing to do with the other.
                Accusation unwarranted. I did not. I just use the evidence that by far the determining factor as who accepts the science of evolution is religion and not culture. By the evidence the variation within a culture of the acceptance of the science of evolution is religious belief.

Again I never said that other countries were 'like' the United States, except the main factor in the USA and other countries is that religious belief remains the primary determining factor.

What datum are you referring to that shows that culture is the issue? All the data I have seen from polls the differences of religious beliefs within a culture in the USA and other cultures and countries. The variation from country to country reflects the differences between countries of the proportion of different religious beliefs, and such things as church attendance.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM.

Frank

Comment

The primary consideration is Christianity and the acceptance of the science of evolution. The differences between other beliefs fit the pattern well. but the USA is by far predominantly Christian. Many polls break this issue down by the different beliefs within Christianity.

Accusation unwarranted. I did not. I just use the evidence that by far the determining factor as who accepts the science of evolution is religion and not culture. By the evidence the variation within a culture of the acceptance of the science of evolution is religious belief.

Again I never said that other countries were 'like' the United States, except the main factor in the USA and other countries is that religious belief remains the primary determining factor.

What datum are you referring to that shows that culture is the issue? All the data I have seen from polls the differences of religious beliefs within a culture in the USA and other cultures and countries. The variation from country to country reflects the differences between countries of the proportion of different religious beliefs, and such things as church attendance.
                  Also, consider the US exporting of anti-evolution skepticism overseas. Yes, the cultural component of that phenomenon is obvious, but the religious component drives it.

Comment

The primary consideration . . . .
                    We're just repeating ourselves. I'm done with this discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                      Also, consider the US exporting of anti-evolution skepticism overseas. Yes, the cultural component of that phenomenon is obvious, but the religious component drives it.
                      Agreed

Frank

Comment