Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Humans are Least Concern on the red list, DUH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humans are Least Concern on the red list, DUH!

Why did http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/136584/0 have a page on Homo Sapiens? Just because? I find it funny that someone actually bothered to register humans for least concern. Of course we're least concern! Or some one was bored in 2008 and decided to review the human species for giggles. It's funny to talk about the human species as if it were an outsider describing us.

Assessment Information [top]
    Red List Category & Criteria: Least Concern ver 3.1
    Year Published: 2008
    Date Assessed: 2008-06-30
    Assessor(s): Global Mammal Assessment Team
    Reviewer(s): Mittermeier, R.A. & Rylands, A.B. (Primate Red List Authority); & Hoffmann, M. (Global Mammal Assessment Team)
    Justification:
    Listed as Least Concern as the species is very widely distributed, adaptable, currently increasing, and there are no major threats resulting in an overall population decline.

Range Description: Humans have the widest distribution of any terrestrial mammal species, inhabiting every continent on earth (although there are no permanent settlements on Antarctica). A small group of humans has been introduced to space, where they inhabit the International Space Station.
    Countries occurrence:
    Native:
    Afghanistan; Åland Islands; Albania; Algeria; American Samoa (American Samoa); Andorra; Angola (Angola); Anguilla; Antarctica; Antigua and Barbuda; Argentina; Armenia (Armenia); Aruba; Australia; Austria; Azerbaijan; Bahamas; Bahrain; Bangladesh; Barbados; Belarus; Belgium; Belize; Benin; Bermuda; Bhutan; Bolivia, Plurinational States of; Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Saba, Sint Eustatius); Bosnia and Herzegovina; Botswana; Bouvet Island; Brazil; British Indian Ocean Territory; Brunei Darussalam; Bulgaria; Burkina Faso; Burundi; Cambodia; Cameroon; Canada; Cape Verde; Cayman Islands; Central African Republic; Chad; Chile; China; Christmas Island; Cocos (Keeling) Islands; Colombia; Comoros; Congo; Congo, The Democratic Republic of the; Cook Islands; Costa Rica; Côte d'Ivoire; Croatia; Cuba; Curaçao; Cyprus; Czech Republic; Denmark; Disputed Territory; Djibouti; Dominica; Dominican Republic; Ecuador; Egypt; El Salvador; Equatorial Guinea; Eritrea; Estonia; Ethiopia; Falkland Islands (Malvinas); Faroe Islands; Fiji; Finland; France; French Guiana; French Polynesia; French Southern Territories; Gabon; Gambia; Georgia; Germany; Ghana; Gibraltar; Greece; Greenland; Grenada; Guadeloupe; Guam; Guatemala; Guernsey; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Haiti; Heard Island and McDonald Islands; Holy See (Vatican City State); Honduras; Hong Kong; Hungary; Iceland; India; Indonesia; Iran, Islamic Republic of; Iraq; Ireland; Isle of Man; Israel; Italy; Jamaica; Japan; Jersey; Jordan; Kazakhstan; Kenya; Kiribati; Korea, Democratic People's Republic of; Korea, Republic of; Kuwait; Kyrgyzstan; Lao People's Democratic Republic; Latvia; Lebanon; Lesotho; Liberia; Libya; Liechtenstein; Lithuania; Luxembourg; Macao; Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of; Madagascar; Malawi; Malaysia; Maldives; Mali; Malta; Marshall Islands; Martinique; Mauritania; Mauritius; Mayotte; Mexico; Micronesia, Federated States of ; Moldova; Monaco; Mongolia; Montenegro; Montserrat; Morocco; Mozambique; Myanmar; Namibia; Nauru; Nepal; Netherlands; New Caledonia; New Zealand; Nicaragua; Niger; Nigeria; Niue; Norfolk Island; Northern Mariana Islands; Norway; Oman; Pakistan; Palau; Palestinian Territory, Occupied; Panama; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Peru; Philippines; Pitcairn; Poland; Portugal; Puerto Rico; Qatar; Réunion; Romania; Russian Federation; Rwanda; Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Martin (French part); Saint Pierre and Miquelon; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; San Marino; Sao Tomé and Principe; Saudi Arabia; Senegal; Serbia (Serbia); Seychelles; Sierra Leone; Singapore; Sint Maarten (Dutch part); Slovakia; Slovenia; Solomon Islands; Somalia; South Africa; South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands; South Sudan; Spain; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Suriname; Svalbard and Jan Mayen; Swaziland; Sweden; Switzerland; Syrian Arab Republic; Taiwan, Province of China; Tajikistan; Tanzania, United Republic of; Thailand; Timor-Leste; Togo; Tokelau; Tonga; Trinidad and Tobago; Tunisia; Turkey; Turkmenistan; Turks and Caicos Islands; Tuvalu; Uganda; Ukraine; United Arab Emirates; United Kingdom; United States (Georgia); United States Minor Outlying Islands; Uruguay; Uzbekistan; Vanuatu; Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of; Viet Nam; Virgin Islands, British; Virgin Islands, U.S.; Wallis and Futuna; Western Sahara; Yemen; Zambia; Zimbabwe
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

elmerseason.jpg
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

So, Bugs and Daffy did that?

Comment

Homo Sapiens are not remotely endangered. We are the disease of the world.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I'm just wondering why they even bothered to list our species. It's pretty obvious that it is of Least Concern, so why make an entry?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            And Jesus is the cure.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              I notice that the people who espouse that are still here adding to the sickness.

For example, Prince Phillip says that he would like to be reincarnated as a deadly virus in order to decimate the excess population. But, I notice that he is still alive and kicking. You would think that he and those like him would volunteer to be the first to die off so that the rest of nature will be saved.

http://www.propagandamatrix.com/prince.html

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                I notice that the people who espouse that are still here adding to the sickness.

For example, Prince Phillip says that he would like to be reincarnated as a deadly virus in order to decimate the excess population. But, I notice that he is still alive and kicking. You would think that he and those like him would volunteer to be the first to die off so that the rest of nature will be saved.

http://www.propagandamatrix.com/prince.html
                Yeah - I doubt those the think the population should be reduced are volunteering to help with the cause. Get rid of that other guy.

Sparko is right. Though there are a lot of folks running around that make making that case very hard sometimes.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Yeah - I doubt those the think the population should be reduced are volunteering to help with the cause. Get rid of that other guy.

Sparko is right. Though there are a lot of folks running around that make making that case very hard sometimes.

Jim
                  You do realize there are ways to reduce the population without killing people, right?
                  "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                    You do realize there are ways to reduce the population without killing people, right?
                    Not having children? Good luck getting enough people to do that! And having no children would result in an aging population and would not end well. And you won't get 7 billion people to agree to sterilization. I don't think we have to worry about ever losing our least concern status from a Christian point of view. If humanity somehow did become critically endangered, Jesus would probably come back by then. Just out of curiosity, what global population size would make us lose our least concern status?

Comment

Who was it who said that the population should be decimated but that they personally should remain because it would give them a chance to work toward that goal? Peter Singer?
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

actually the population in most modern parts of the world is just barely holding steady, if not declining. Most couples only have one or two kids, which basically just replaces themselves and keeps the population in those countries pretty steady. The most growth in the US for instance, is from immigration, not child birth. Same with Europe and other "western" countries. The problem is in third world countries like Africa where they have many more children. And they do have diseases there, but that doesn't seem to keep the population in check.

Comment

We already have a solution to overpopulation anyway.

It's called abortion.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            We already have a solution to overpopulation anyway.

It's called abortion.
                            And murder will get certain folks in big trouble with the Judge. Of course, we all deserve to be in big trouble, except that Jesus took the shame and guilt for us in a shameful death. Does the final Resurrection mean that humans will never become extinct? I'm still curious what the numbers would be to make humans be a different conservation status.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              And murder will get certain folks in big trouble with the Judge. Of course, we all deserve to be in big trouble, except that Jesus took the shame and guilt for us in a shameful death. Does the final Resurrection mean that humans will never become extinct? I'm still curious what the numbers would be to make humans be a different conservation status.

There will come a time when no more humans will be born. When we all enter eternity at the end of recorded time.

Comment