Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Need guidance on how to believe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need guidance on how to believe!

Hello everyone,

I've posted here in the past a time or two, but I have something slightly different on my mind this time around. I am currently a soft agnostic-atheist (basically a truth seeker living as an atheist would), and I would like to start off my truth seeking with Christianity. It seems good to start here (as a religion) since I know more about the faith than any other, it's the world's largest, and it seems to have some wonderful, respected philosophers backing it. I should say my MAIN reason for this endeavor is not to know the truth; it's to avoid a "hell."

My question to you all is this: How (or by what way) am I supposed to come to intellectual belief in Christ? How is this normally done?

For me, examining the evidence won't work since I don't feel intelligent enough to sift through what has caused top intellectuals to disagree with each other. If the world's smartest disagree on how to assess the evidence, there's no way I am going to come to a conclusion that way. All that reading apologetic works does is leave me more skeptical. God is essentially hidden.

Since He seems to be hidden, the only option I can think of is testing Him somehow, or there being some way that He will reveal himself to me such that it brings me to an intellectual belief. But will He reveal Himself to me if I ask in prayer (God supposedly doesn't hear prayers of the unsaved though)? Is that even Biblical? And the MAIN issue for me is that if He does reveal himself, I might attribute it to "wishful thinking" or "coincidence" or some other psychological process - as in if we are looking for something to be true, our mind will play tricks and we will "see" what we expect or want to see, although it may not actually signify anything out of the ordinary. Belief eludes me.

And the "sensus divinitatis" doesn't seem to be a thing since I feel that God's presence isn't obvious.

Another idea is the He is hiding himself from me because of my sin. So what, I am supposed to live like a saint and see if He comes closer?

I seriously don't understand how we are supposed to come to belief. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on my predicament.

Hi!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I would say that God absolutely hears the prayers of the unsaved. He may respond positively only to those willing to place their trust in Him, but He hears all the same. And I wouldn't say that God hides himself from us because of our sin; it's more that we try to hide from God because of our sin.

How do we come to belief? As an Eastern Orthodox Christian, I'd say, "come and see." Find an Orthodox church, and attend a service. A church is a spiritual hospital, meant for healing those who are spiritually sick - and we all are, to some degree.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Hi!
        Hey there! :)

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I would say that God absolutely hears the prayers of the unsaved. He may respond positively only to those willing to place their trust in Him, but He hears all the same. And I wouldn't say that God hides himself from us because of our sin; it's more that we try to hide from God because of our sin.

How do we come to belief? As an Eastern Orthodox Christian, I'd say, "come and see." Find an Orthodox church, and attend a service. A church is a spiritual hospital, meant for healing those who are spiritually sick - and we all are, to some degree.
          Thank you for response and advice!

Comment

Last edited by princesa; 07-19-2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Or just find an "o"rthodox church even.

I think for most people who come to faith in Christ, it's by seeing how God has interacted with others, and seeing the change in their lives: the love, the joy, and the peace that passess all understanding.

As for doubt and skepticism, a good dose of skepticism is healthy, and everyone experiences periods of doubt. Everyone ought to ask themselves, "why do I believe what I believe". But you can also make yourself crazy endlessly questioning everything. At some point you have to weigh the evidence, and step out. And besides seeking people who can help you on your way, I advise you to take another look at apologetics. I wouldn't bother with apologetics online, but pick yourself up a few books. You can't go wrong with the classics like CS Lewis, and G.K. Chesterton. For something more modern, and entry level, I don't see much wrong with The Case For... series. If you're comparing religions, maybe check out Ravi Zacharias' book Jesus Among Other Gods or his Jesus Talks With... series, where he imagines Jesus in conversation with other religious and historical figures.

Comment

I wish we still had Post of the Day.

Comment

oh thank you Adrift :) !

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: KingsGambit

This thread is not appropriate for this type of post.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-20-2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaney777 View Post
                      Hello everyone,

I've posted here in the past a time or two, but I have something slightly different on my mind this time around. I am currently a soft agnostic-atheist (basically a truth seeker living as an atheist would), and I would like to start off my truth seeking with Christianity. It seems good to start here (as a religion) since I know more about the faith than any other, it's the world's largest, and it seems to have some wonderful, respected philosophers backing it. I should say my MAIN reason for this endeavor is not to know the truth; it's to avoid a "hell."

My question to you all is this: How (or by what way) am I supposed to come to intellectual belief in Christ? How is this normally done?

For me, examining the evidence won't work since I don't feel intelligent enough to sift through what has caused top intellectuals to disagree with each other. If the world's smartest disagree on how to assess the evidence, there's no way I am going to come to a conclusion that way. All that reading apologetic works does is leave me more skeptical. God is essentially hidden.

Since He seems to be hidden, the only option I can think of is testing Him somehow, or there being some way that He will reveal himself to me such that it brings me to an intellectual belief. But will He reveal Himself to me if I ask in prayer (God supposedly doesn't hear prayers of the unsaved though)? Is that even Biblical? And the MAIN issue for me is that if He does reveal himself, I might attribute it to "wishful thinking" or "coincidence" or some other psychological process - as in if we are looking for something to be true, our mind will play tricks and we will "see" what we expect or want to see, although it may not actually signify anything out of the ordinary. Belief eludes me.

And the "sensus divinitatis" doesn't seem to be a thing since I feel that God's presence isn't obvious.

Another idea is the He is hiding himself from me because of my sin. So what, I am supposed to live like a saint and see if He comes closer?

I seriously don't understand how we are supposed to come to belief. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on my predicament.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

I think for most people who come to faith in Christ, it's by seeing how God has interacted with others, and seeing the change in their lives: the love, the joy, and the peace that passess all understanding.

As for doubt and skepticism, a good dose of skepticism is healthy, and everyone experiences periods of doubt. Everyone ought to ask themselves, "why do I believe what I believe". But you can also make yourself crazy endlessly questioning everything. At some point you have to weigh the evidence, and step out. And besides seeking people who can help you on your way, I advise you to take another look at apologetics. I wouldn't bother with apologetics online, but pick yourself up a few books. You can't go wrong with the classics like CS Lewis, and G.K. Chesterton. For something more modern, and entry level, I don't see much wrong with The Case For... series. If you're comparing religions, maybe check out Ravi Zacharias' book Jesus Among Other Gods or his Jesus Talks With... series, where he imagines Jesus in conversation with other religious and historical figures.
                        Yep, good sources. I'd also recommend David Bentley Hart's The Beauty of the Infinite.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this personal message. I am grateful for the encouragement! Bless you!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post

I appreciate your suggestions! Someone I trust recently recommended that I read "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, so I'll probably give that a go. Thank you for commenting!

Comment

I really like this, and I understand your point. You did a great job of teaching it in a way that I could follow. I'll need to study it a little more, though. I'm thankful for your response!

Comment