Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Who's guilty of plagiarism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's guilty of plagiarism?

Hmmm.......let's see now.......

http://ilovemyfreedom.org/everyones-...k-obama-twice/

Everyone’s criticizing Melania for speech, but LOOK what Obama did….THREE TIMES!
    News
    OBAMA CAUGHT BORROWING FROM OTHER PEOPLES SPEECHES THREE TIMES

If you haven’t already heard by now, there were a few lines from Melania’s speech that appear to be inspired by a speech that Michelle Obama gave in 2008.
    Last edited by mossrose; 07-21-2016, 01:46 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Such a tempest in a teapot! I have used almost those same words in describing my upbringing. Truth is truth!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, but did you watch the video of Obama doing the same thing?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Yeah, but did you watch the video of Obama doing the same thing?
        Yup - and Joe Biden was infamous for it.

Source: CNN

From speeches to Ph.D.'s: Politicians called out for copying

1. Vice President Joe Biden, 1987: During the 1988 Presidential election, the then-presidential candidate was accused of mimicking a speech that British Labour Party Neil Kinnock delivered just four months prior.

Kinnock's speech included the following lines:
        Why am I the first Kinnock in a thousand generations to be able to get to university? [Pointing to his wife in the audience:] Why is Glenys the first woman in her family in a thousand generations to be able to get to university? Was it because all our predecessors were thick?

While Biden said:
        I started thinking as I was coming over here, why is it that Joe Biden is the first in his family ever to go to a university? [Pointing to his wife in the audience:] Why is it that my wife who is sitting out there in the audience is the first in her family to ever go to college? Is it because our fathers and mothers were not bright? Is it because I'm the first Biden in a thousand generations to get a college and a graduate degree that I was smarter than the rest?

The vice president was forced to withdraw from the presidential race after Maureen Dowd of the New York Times exposed his plagiarized speech. Allegations followed that Biden lifted parts of other speeches from Hubert Humphrey, Robert Kennedy, and JFK.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have a dream! A world where politicians will write their own speeches instead of hiring speech writers who seem to use random speech generators found on the interwebs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I have a dream! A world where politicians will write their own speeches instead of hiring speech writers who seem to use random speech generators found on the interwebs.
            Yes, I've often wondered was there ever a time that they did? I think of (randomly) Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, Teddy Roosevelt and Winston Churchill...?

Almost along the same lines I think of the awful 'bestsellers' books on shelves now and even before they started closing all the bookstores and I wondered...Did Dostoyevsky have an editor? A deadline to meet? Did someone really tell him or Tolsoy "..um...I think I like this word better (in a high pitched question like statement)"

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
              Yes, I've often wondered was there ever a time that they did? I think of (randomly) Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, Teddy Roosevelt and Winston Churchill...?

Almost along the same lines I think of the awful 'bestsellers' books on shelves now and even before they started closing all the bookstores and I wondered...Did Dostoyevsky have an editor? A deadline to meet? Did someone really tell him or Tolsoy "..um...I think I like this word better (in a high pitched question like statement)"
              Should have told him to turn War and Peace into a trilogy instead of a giant tome. could have sold more.

Comment

Should have told him to turn War and Peace into a trilogy instead of a giant tome. could have sold more.
                Or who tells Alexandre Dumas to change the Count of Monte Cristo....did they even have editors back then?

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
                  Or who tells Alexandre Dumas to change the Count of Monte Cristo....did they even have editors back then?
                  probably. Somebody had to read it and decide to publish it, which means they probably had proofreaders and editors.

Comment

What do you want to bet that the problem is that trump hired the same speech writer who wrote Obama's speech and the speech writer is a lazy person who reuses his own material?

Comment

What do you want to bet that the problem is that trump hired the same speech writer who wrote Obama's speech and the speech writer is a lazy person who reuses his own material?

And I guess Obama hired the same speech writer that the other guys hired, as well.

Where is the outrage from the media? Where are the excuses from the left?

Comment

apparently the speech writer said she "inadvertantly left parts of Michelle Obama's speech in Melania's speech" - er why where they there in the first place?

Comment

Folks who write speeches for Republican presidential nominees rarely write speeches for Democrats and versa vice

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            And I guess Obama hired the same speech writer that the other guys hired, as well.

Where is the outrage from the media? Where are the excuses from the left?
                            The outrage wasn't about the plagiarism itself. It was about them not admitting the plagiarism (until recently).
                            Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                              The outrage wasn't about the plagiarism itself. It was about them not admitting the plagiarism (until recently).

That's fine. Where is the outrage from the media over Obama's plagiarism?

Comment