Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

If Babies Go To Heaven, Why Not Abort Them All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Babies Go To Heaven, Why Not Abort Them All

We see this objection come up all the time in debates and discussions where we're dealing with the sanctification of those without the ability to reason, whether it be the unborn, children under a certain age, or the developmentally challenged. To many of us this a ridiculous suggestion, but I believe that the question does have a measure of force to it. From a godless perspective, it may make a logical, if absurd, sense for the theist to condone the abortion of children in order to save them ultimately.

John Piper has a decent, six reason response to this, though, that I think might be useful next time you see it pop up.

First he makes the point that the reason he believes that babies are saved/go to heaven, has nothing to do with any lack of sin. He points out that, like all of us, they also are in a sinful condition (due to original sin) when they die. Rather, "It is based largely on God’s apparent commitment to a kind of public justice in which he makes the rejection of observable evidences of truth the basis for his final condemnation (Romans 1:20)."

Okay, with that out of the way, here are the six reasons why aborting children is utterly senseless in order to save them.
    1. "It is a big deal to kill babies in the womb because murder is a big deal." We are commanded not to murder because God made man in his own image (Genesis 9:6). "You don’t kill beings uniquely created in the image of God."

2. If one were to acquiesce to the abortion of the unborn in order to save them, then we're left with little reason not to murder all children under the age of accountability, which is completely unconscionable (well, to the Christian at least, though we know that it is acceptable to certain nontheists).

3. Justifying the murder of the unborn in order to save them would have a boomerang effect in that it also justifies the murder of Christians in order to prevent them from apostatizing, which is obviously counter-productive, and logically horrific.

4. "It is a big deal to kill those who committed no crime just in order to dispatch them to heaven because the Bible addresses this very kind of twisted thinking when it says, 'Shall we sin that grace may abound?' (Romans 6:1) In other words, somebody was trying to use the logic against Paul that grace would abound wherever sin abounds. So, let’s do some more sinning. And Paul responded, 'Shall we do evil that good may come?' (Romans 3:8). God forbid. So his answer is no. It is a wrong logic to sin in order that some good might come from it. We are dealing with God here, not just pragmatics."

5. "It is a big deal because life on earth is good and wonderful. It is a right thing to want to be alive on the earth. And the apostle Paul, when he weighed dying and going to be with Jesus against staying alive and serving the church, he opted to stay alive. Here is what he wrote: 'For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better' (Philippians 1:21–23). So some might respond, 'well, then just choose death, for goodness’ sake.' But he says in verses 24–25: 'But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith.'"

6. "Lastly, it is a big deal because it is presumption to step into God’s place and try to make the assignments to heaven and to hell. God is the judge, not us. Our duty is to obey God, not play God. So yes, babies do go to heaven, I believe. And no, don’t kill them, because they are in the image of God and because earth is their home on the way to heaven — and rightly so — and because we are not God."

I think his points 1 4, and 6 are his strongest, and by themselves offer a great rebuttal. Someone in another thread mentioned that the unborn would not be able to obtain rewards in this life in heaven if they were/are prematurely killed, and while this sort of goes with Piper's point 5, I don't think by itself it is a very good argument. It puts into the mind of the skeptic that Christianity is purely rewards based, which offers ammunition to the common skeptical view that Christianity is nothing but a carrot and stick religion. Rather, we should be emphasizing the innate divine sanctity and preciousness of those created in God's image, and the fact that we have no right to play God.

Okay, that's all I had. If others have more to offer I'd love to see it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Adrift; 07-22-2016, 09:19 AM.

Can we point out that you really don't want to kill a child because you will then be in very big trouble with God. It would be better to have a milestone tied around your neck and hurled into the sea.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Great job, Adrift.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Can we point out that you really don't want to kill a child because you will then be in very big trouble with God. It would be better to have a milestone tied around your neck and hurled into the sea.
        Yes, I think that is a good reason to add, though its weakness is that it also ties into the idea that Christians are motivated primarily through reward and consequence. It probably works best when we add it to things like "all life is unique and precious", and "we have no right to play God".

Comment

Another thing I'd add is the idea that babies automatically go to heaven is a pretty big assumption. We can't be sure. I don't believe that babies go right to hell but the fact is the Bible doesn't outright say the opposite, either. For all we know, maybe they get an opportunity to be preached to sort of like what 1 Peter 4:6 says.

Either way, even if for some reason somebody didn't buy all the other reasons not to abort babies... it would be terrible to make such a decision based on an assumption we're not even sure about.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Another thing I'd add is the idea that babies automatically go to heaven is a pretty big assumption.
            I started to add that earlier - though I don't think it's a "big" assumption, there is, indeed, no scripture I know of that we can point to as a "thus sayeth the Lord....".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just wanted to add Sparko's thoughts from another thread. I think they fall neatly into category 5, but it's very well said so bears repeating:

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Murder is bad. Even if your victim goes to heaven. You cut out the rest of their entire life, everything good or bad they could have done. Possibly their children, and descendants for all time. Canceled every contact they could have had with hundreds and thousands of people. Stopped all of the good they could have brought to the world. Could that person have become President? Cured Cancer? Been the father of the person who first steps foot on Mars? People don't exist in isolation, they affect the rest of society good or bad, so when you murder someone you are not snipping a single thread, but an entire web of connections.

Human life is precious. We don't exist just to go to heaven. We exist to care and love for one another, to do good. God wants us to help and love others, here and now. Otherwise he would just make us drop dead the moment we become Christians and poof us into heaven.

So no, abortion is not "good" because the children go to heaven. They never even had a chance at life.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Another thing I'd add is the idea that babies automatically go to heaven is a pretty big assumption. We can't be sure. I don't believe that babies go right to hell but the fact is the Bible doesn't outright say the opposite, either. For all we know, maybe they get an opportunity to be preached to sort of like what 1 Peter 4:6 says.

Either way, even if for some reason somebody didn't buy all the other reasons not to abort babies... it would be terrible to make such a decision based on an assumption we're not even sure about.
                That is a very good point.

Comment

I frankly don't think it matters what arguments we make, no matter how sound. The unbelieving will not be swayed unless the Holy Spirit is working in them for salvation.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Yes, I think that is a good reason to add, though its weakness is that it also ties into the idea that Christians are motivated primarily through reward and consequence. It probably works best when we add it to things like "all life is unique and precious", and "we have no right to play God".

Of course. I was trying to imply that if someone were sick enough to say that killing babies was a good idea, that said person must have a punishment based morality and only appealing to God's judgement would work.
                    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      I frankly don't think it matters what arguments we make, no matter how sound. The unbelieving will not be swayed unless the Holy Spirit is working in them for salvation.
                      Perhaps, but I think that's really a debate about the efficacy of apologetics as a whole. I think there are a range of skeptics out there. Some simply attempting to undermine Christianity no matter what, and have their minds made up. But some who are sincerely confused and searching, and want to make some head sense of that tug of the Holy Spirit they feel in their heart. At any rate, 1 Peter 3 tells us to always be prepared to offer an answer to all who may ask about the hope that we posses.

Comment

CBW is right. for every baby "saved" by aborting, the person doing the abortion (and doctor) are committing murder, which will send them to hell.

Comment

I don't think that non-Christians are impervious to pro-life arguments in general. Just look at how many atheist or agnostic pro-life posters we've had on here over the years.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Of course. I was trying to imply that if someone were sick enough to say that killing babies was a good idea, that said person must have a punishment based morality and only appealing to God's judgement would work.
                            Oh, okay.

Comment

Do humans have an earthly objective while here on earth that only mature adult humans can fulfill?

If humans do not have an objective why are we to spend time here at all, since it is not a “happy” place?

If there is an earthly objective for mature adult, why can it only be fulfilled on earth?

Babies that die prior to fulfilling their objective would fairly and justly go to heaven, so what would they lack in heaven?

Comment