Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

If Babies Go To Heaven, Why Not Abort Them All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    Madness is a curse, either upon an individual or else upon the society where the individual lives:

Deuteronomy 32:28-29
    The Lord shall smite thee with madness, and blindness, and astonishment of heart: and thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore, and no man shall save thee.

I think that's why we have such serious mental health problems today. Regardless, we are talking about abortion, not postpartum psychosis.
    Wow

I've known some dear saints - including my own mother - who were struck with dementia or something later on in life, after living a glorious life for Christ.

Your post is just so wrong on so many levels.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      We see this objection come up all the time in debates and discussions where we're dealing with the sanctification of those without the ability to reason, whether it be the unborn, children under a certain age, or the developmentally challenged. To many of us this a ridiculous suggestion, but I believe that the question does have a measure of force to it. From a godless perspective, it may make a logical, if absurd, sense for the theist to condone the abortion of children in order to save them ultimately.

John Piper has a decent, six reason response

I think his points 1 4, and 6 are his strongest, and by themselves offer a great rebuttal. Someone in another thread mentioned that the unborn would not be able to obtain rewards in this life in heaven if they were/are prematurely killed, and while this sort of goes with Piper's point 5, I don't think by itself it is a very good argument. It puts into the mind of the skeptic that Christianity is purely rewards based, which offers ammunition to the common skeptical view that Christianity is nothing but a carrot and stick religion. Rather, we should be emphasizing the innate divine sanctity and preciousness of those created in God's image, and the fact that we have no right to play God.

Okay, that's all I had. If others have more to offer I'd love to see it. Thanks!
      Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: mossy

Jim, this is Christianity. You aren't allowed to post here.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by mossrose; 07-22-2016, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Madness is a curse, either upon an individual or else upon the society where the individual lives:

The Lord shall smite thee with madness, and blindness, and astonishment of heart: and thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore, and no man shall save thee.

I think that's why we have such serious mental health problems today. Regardless, we are talking about abortion, not postpartum psychosis.
        We aren't under the old covenant, so that verse does not apply to us!
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke
          I've known some dear saints - including my own mother - who were struck with dementia or something later on in life, after living a glorious life for Christ.
          If they're old and about to die, I don't know that illness would be a curse so much as a natural process of death. It's talking about something more than that. And I didn't write Deuteronomy.

Comment

If they're old and about to die, I don't know that illness would be a curse so much as a natural process of death. It's talking about something more than that. And I didn't write Deuteronomy.
            No, you just abused it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It was written to the ancient Israelites. It is and ancient covenant treaty between God and Israel. Since we are under the New Covenant, the curses and blessings of the Old Covenant are not applicable to us.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I kept thinking that just didn't sound right.

Here's what Deut 32:28-29 actually says:
                28 For they are a nation void of counsel, neither is there any understanding in them. 29 O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end!

The passage you obviously intended was Deut 28:28-29, but is PRECEDED by verse 15 which says...
                15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

That's a conditional statement.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-22-2016, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Babies cannot make decisions. But I do believe in baptism for them
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think the point of what Jesus was saying was that the children were viewed as insignificant in the society, and that Jesus was telling off his disciples who were trying to get them to buzz off by emphasizing that his kingdom was open to all who wanted to seek him.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

@Cow Poke

I find your watered-down faith disturbing. But the whole issue of insanity is pretty much irrelevant to this thread so I am not going to keep arguing about it.

Comment

@Cow Poke

I find your watered-down faith disturbing. But the whole issue of insanity is pretty much irrelevant to this thread so I am not going to keep arguing about it.
                        My "watered down faith".

Bless your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I think the point of what Jesus was saying was that the children were viewed as insignificant in the society, and that Jesus was telling off his disciples who were trying to get them to buzz off by emphasizing that his kingdom was open to all who wanted to seek him.
                          Wow. I really didn't get that at all. I just took Him for what he said. What He simply stated.

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

Christianity 201 is for Christian participation only

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Bill the Cat; 07-25-2016, 11:26 AM.
                            Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              To spread the gospel, to help our fellow man. To love one another. To do good.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                This is a good reminder that Christians need a better theology of what heaven is. The popular idea that it's just a disembodied existence in the sky doing nothing has led to all sort of problems.
                                So what do you want to do in heaven?

Comment