Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Mental Health Stigma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Health Stigma

According to suicide.org, the stigma surrounding mental illness is a major reason why those conditions go untreated and people die from suicide. Why is there a mental health stigma! It's causing people to die! I pray that if there is anyone who is suicidal, that they get the help they desperately need. And I am ashamed that the Church isn't doing more about this. If suicide is a fatal result of a mental illness, I don't think it should be considered a sin. Because people might feel ashamed of having suicidal thoughts, not want to look like a "sinner", and go untreated.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

One big problem is that no one can help unless the individual in need opens up.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I've seen people out right rejected by church members when they DO open up. They are rejected as "attention seekers."
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        I've seen people out right rejected by church members when they DO open up. They are rejected as "attention seekers."
        I wonder what Jesus would say to that? Considering that He healed those who needed healing, instead of shunning them.

Comment

Jesus would not be happy
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Can we please put the dementia posts in a new dementia thread? This thread is more about untreated severe depression and why stigmas keep people from seeking treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Can we please put the dementia posts in a new dementia thread? This thread is more about untreated severe depression and why stigmas keep people from seeking treatment.
              More about? That is most definitely not clear after reading the first post. You referred to mental illness, of which dementia is a form, and also is depression. Dementia can also likewise lead to suicide. There are also other forms of mental illness that may lead to suicide. The stigma itself may be cause of denial, and lead to suicide in all of the above.

Originally posted by Christianbookworm
              According to suicide.org, the stigma surrounding mental illness is a major reason why those conditions go untreated and people die from suicide. Why is there a mental health stigma! It's causing people to die! I pray that if there is anyone who is suicidal, that they get the help they desperately need. And I am ashamed that the Church isn't doing more about this. If suicide is a fatal result of a mental illness, I don't think it should be considered a sin. Because people might feel ashamed of having suicidal thoughts, not want to look like a "sinner", and go untreated.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Reply:

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Our mental capacity is what makes us as human instead of being animals, and our mental is our connection to God and to other people, so yes the stigma can be so severe that death is preferred.

In other cultures then people who see visions and hear voices are viewed as Shamans or as Holy or as spiritual, while Christianity views the same as Demon possessed, or unholy, and calling it as a mental illness is very modern.

Unfortunately the Mental Health industry does not know how to heal the people and many of the medications are just sedatives or experimental.

It is also a condition of illegal narcotic use that those drugs are used to make those drug users to have visions and to enter the spiritual world and that is one big reason that the narcotics are so addictive.

I also find that it is not the best idea to link suicide to Mental illness because Mental illness does not really have the most suicides, and suicide is considered one of the many forms of Mental illness which also makes the reality more confusing.

Most churches do seem to be more sympathetic to Mental illness, and at least the Pastors, Priest and Ministers are being better informed, but I do not know what else any Church could do to fight the stigma.

Church or religion viewing suicide as a sin is a complicated doctrine, because if we view Jesus more literally then Jesus committed suicide on the cross (suicide by police) because Jesus is recorded as saying = No one takes my life, I lay down my life.

John 10:
                17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
                18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.
                19 There was a division therefore again among the Jews for these sayings.
                20 And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?
                21 Others said, These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind?
                ------

Comment