Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Star Trek: Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek: Discovery

At long, long last, Star Trek is making its way back to TV, and today we're getting a first look. Alongside this afternoon's Star Trek panel at Comic-Con, CBS put out a teaser showing the new series' subject: a new Starfleet ship called the USS Discovery. The show is also getting a proper name today, Star Trek Discovery.
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/23/12...-cbs-sdcc-2016

Here's the video preview:

Personally, I'm not a fan of the design, but I suppose I can get used to it. On another note, I'm guessing it will be another prequel series that takes place after Enterprise, but before TOS (I'm basing this on the registry being NCC-1031 and the markings looking more like TOS and Enterprise era vs TNG era).
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

so its going to be a cartoon?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so its going to be a cartoon?
      No. I'm thinking it's a rough rendering, to give an idea of what it's going to look like.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        No. I'm thinking it's a rough rendering, to give an idea of what it's going to look like.
        looks idiotic. like an old Cadillac hubcap

star-trek-discovery-ship.jpg
        Last edited by Sparko; 07-24-2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

From my brother:
          The ship looks like The Enterprise had a kid with a bird of prey......

Comment

But if this is animated, we'll see Caitians and three (four?) Crew members more often...
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Three- to four - armed crewmen is what I was trying to say.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Here is my minor issue I may have with this (and I've been binge watching the previous 5 series as we just got them on Netflix in NZ)

Star Trek was all about hope, about mankind having improved etc. Something the reboot films kinda seem to be missing a little. Will this new series be closer to Roddenberry's vision or the reboots?
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  Here is my minor issue I may have with this (and I've been binge watching the previous 5 series as we just got them on Netflix in NZ)

Star Trek was all about hope, about mankind having improved etc. Something the reboot films kinda seem to be missing a little. Will this new series be closer to Roddenberry's vision or the reboots?
                  It's taking place in the universe that the previous shows/movies did. Good news for you is that it will be on Netflix within 24 hours of the US premiere for you to watch. In the US and Canada, it will be on CBS All Access.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    But if this is animated, we'll see Caitians and three (four?) Crew members more often...
                    It's live action for sure. They will be starting the filming in the fall.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      From my brother:
                      The ship looks like The Enterprise had a kid with a bird of prey......
                      I'm with you guys on that one. I'm not a fan of the design at all. Which sucks since most ships of the Star Trek are aesthetically very nice.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Wow. That thing is butt-ugly. Yeesh.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          Wow. That thing is butt-ugly. Yeesh.
                          And I thought the reboot Enterprise looked bad with its oversized engines. This one is just... ugh...
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That was especially true of TOS. The later series became somewhat less so, especially as Roddenberry became less involved.

But even Roddenberry explored the non-Utopian path, if I understand correctly. From what I read, the original idea behind "Andromeda" was kind of, "What if, after several hundred years, the Federation has become so strong that it becomes decadent and complacent, and collapses?"
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

When Roddenberry started The Next Generation he was free from network control and wanted to portray the human race as peaceful, having outgrown its violent past. That is exactly what Picard was trying to teach "Q" in the pilot episode. Eventually Denise Crosby, the security officer, quit the series because she got so little action in the nonviolent episodes. So they killed off her character. Eventually Roddenberry had to resort to the original violence to keep the series running. That's what people wanted. So much for his humanist views. Although I believe he did get an award for Humanist of the Year.
                              When I Survey....

Comment