Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Star Trek: Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reminds me, I need to get back into Star Trek Online. It's in the future compared to Voyager, but brings in older stuff through time travel. The last update added in a lot of stuff from TOS, like the uniforms, and spaceship designs. Now I just need to find someone to play it with.

Comment

I've been playing Star Trek Timelines on Android
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Since Discovery has finally aired and I have seen the first three episodes, it might be time to bump this thread and give a few first impressions:

1. You can see the effect the new films and changes in how TV series are filmed and written in Discovery as compared to previous series. It’s much more serialized, has many more special effects, and is more cinematic than previous series are. Don’t expect to miss an episode and expect to know what’s going on. Expect lots of special effects. And expect to spend more time following around one character. This isn’t to say it’s bad, but don’t go in and expect to see something like you’re used to.
        2. The tech does seem much more advanced. Forcefields seem more advanced and the computer is rather chatty in this series. There’s also some familiar sights that are almost identical to TOS props. The bridge also has a similar sound to TOS too.
        3. The characters don’t seem too bad, but it remains to be seen if they are any good or just bland and uninteresting.
        4. It has a darker atmosphere than what previous series show. While all of them had their darker moments and episodes, this one starts at the beginning of a war and Starfleet didn’t do so well in this first battle. In some ways, it reminds me of the last few seasons of DS9.
        5. I’m not a fan of some of the artistic styles. The Klingon redesign is terrible and the USS Discovery isn’t a very stylish design and reminds me of something a kid might build out of legos. That being said, I do like the controls and how the ships are filled with more alien species. It does make the Federation feel more like and inter species alliance and less like a human dominated group with a few aliens along for the ride.

Overall I’ll say 7/10. Not terrible, but not blow your mind amazing either.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Since Discovery has finally aired and I have seen the first three episodes, it might be time to bump this thread and give a few first impressions:

1. You can see the effect the new films and changes in how TV series are filmed and written in Discovery as compared to previous series. It’s much more serialized, has many more special effects, and is more cinematic than previous series are. Don’t expect to miss an episode and expect to know what’s going on. Expect lots of special effects. And expect to spend more time following around one character. This isn’t to say it’s bad, but don’t go in and expect to see something like you’re used to.
          It's also less "hopeful" than much of Star Trek with being at the beginning of a war, but that is similar to the episodes of DS9 once the Dominion War started.
          2. The tech does seem much more advanced. Forcefields seem more advanced and the computer is rather chatty in this series. There’s also some familiar sights that are almost identical to TOS props. The bridge also has a similar sound to TOS too.
          I watched the "After Trek" show last night (we get both Star Trek and the after show on Netflix here) and their comment was that when they were making TOS people never expected we would be able to converse with a computer, hence whistles and chirps that someone would interpret, and now we can do exactly that with our phones.

I think they had to update the tech, keeping the tech true to TOS would make it seem too archaic when future tech can't even compete with current tech. A fine line they have to balance (Enterprise had to do the same)

3. The characters don’t seem too bad, but it remains to be seen if they are any good or just bland and uninteresting.
          I need to see where they going first to make a judgement, but that's the same with any new series.
          4. It has a darker atmosphere than what previous series show. While all of them had their darker moments and episodes, this one starts at the beginning of a war and Starfleet didn’t do so well in this first battle. In some ways, it reminds me of the last few seasons of DS9.
          Definitely.
          5. I’m not a fan of some of the artistic styles. The Klingon redesign is terrible and the USS Discovery isn’t a very stylish design and reminds me of something a kid might build out of legos. That being said, I do like the controls and how the ships are filled with more alien species. It does make the Federation feel more like and inter species alliance and less like a human dominated group with a few aliens along for the ride.
          The Klingons are a problem for me.

After Enterprise retconned the TOS appearance of the Klingons, I could accept them not looking like normal Klingons or TOS Klingons, as I can imagine the Klingon scientists working on various methods on undoing the changes caused by the Augment Virus. But the difference at the moment don't seem to fit, and I can't think of an explanation apart from the show runners "wanted them to look different".
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            It's also less "hopeful" than much of Star Trek with being at the beginning of a war, but that is similar to the episodes of DS9 once the Dominion War started.
            I watched the "After Trek" show last night (we get both Star Trek and the after show on Netflix here) and their comment was that when they were making TOS people never expected we would be able to converse with a computer, hence whistles and chirps that someone would interpret, and now we can do exactly that with our phones.

I think they had to update the tech, keeping the tech true to TOS would make it seem too archaic when future tech can't even compete with current tech. A fine line they have to balance (Enterprise had to do the same)

I need to see where they going first to make a judgement, but that's the same with any new series.
            Definitely.
            The Klingons are a problem for me.

After Enterprise retconned the TOS appearance of the Klingons, I could accept them not looking like normal Klingons or TOS Klingons, as I can imagine the Klingon scientists working on various methods on undoing the changes caused by the Augment Virus. But the difference at the moment don't seem to fit, and I can't think of an explanation apart from the show runners "wanted them to look different".
            Oh I just wrote that to let those who are interested in it know what it was all about. In the US, it’s currently only viewable on CBS All Access and cost money to watch. Just trying for a spoiler min recap so anyone interested can decide if they want to spend the money or wait. Personally my only major issue is with some of the artistic choices they made, which isn’t too big of a deal. I also hope they spend time on characterization and not just trying to awe us with flashy visuals. So far I say a solid C effort that may raise or lower as the series moves on.

BTW, I am seeing this as helping to explain elements of TOS as well. Mainly why everyone is jumpy and nervous around the Klingons and why they are staring at each other across a heavily armed boarder. It actually makes a bit more sense if they just fought a major war. It also explains the real lack of other ships in TOS too.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment