Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Star Trek: Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And I thought the reboot Enterprise looked bad with its oversized engines. This one is just... ugh...
    I love the reboot Enterprise, as much as I liked the original Enterprise when it first came out when I was a little kid. The idea behind the rebooted Enterprise was purposefully exaggerated to make it sort of like a hot-rod version of the original.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I hate these pre-tos series
      We need a series that takes place after TNG

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        You mean after DS9 and Voyager?
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I do too. Enterprise went way too far into the future with time travel and effectively made the original timeline rather used up and stale. Hence the need for a reboot. I think the new TV series should be part of the rebooted Star Trek universe.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            You mean after DS9 and Voyager?
            yeah. like 100 years further in the future from those times.

The problem is that if you do a series before Kirk, then you have the problem of trying to make things look "older" than TOS, but still futuristic to us in the 21st century. But the TOS stuff looks pretty dated already since it was done in the 1960's. The new movies handled it by splitting into a new universe and therefore advancing the "old" series into something that looks futuristic to us today. But I think the problem of the "older future" is part of the reason "Enterprise" failed. And it sure as heck is making this new series look like crap as far as the starships go.

Much easier to just jump the series ahead another 100 years from the TNG time period and then make a futuristic looking star trek, along with new inventions and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              I love the reboot Enterprise, as much as I liked the original Enterprise when it first came out when I was a little kid. The idea behind the rebooted Enterprise was purposefully exaggerated to make it sort of like a hot-rod version of the original.
              I still believe it looks out of scale and just doesn't look like it is balanced. While I think most of it looks alright; I still think it looks totally out of scale.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It had a wee too much chrome.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

They haven't said when it is taking place yet. I'm just guessing pre-TOS based on its markings and registry number. The markings are more consistent with what we've seen in TOS and Enterprise than with TNG, DS9, or VOY.
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 07-25-2016, 07:19 PM.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

They haven't said when it is taking place yet. I'm just guessing pre-TOS based on its markings and registry number. The markings are more consistent with what we've seen in TOS and Enterprise than with TNG, DS9, or VOY.
                    just looking at the design you can tell it is supposed to be pre-tos

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      I do too. Enterprise went way too far into the future with time travel and effectively made the original timeline rather used up and stale. Hence the need for a reboot. I think the new TV series should be part of the rebooted Star Trek universe.
                      I wasn't a fan of the 'Temporal Cold War' story arc at all. I think that is what did in the entire series.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

just looking at the design you can tell it is supposed to be pre-tos
                        That is my guess. The whole thing puts off that vibe and the markings make it pretty obvious. My guess is about 2220 is when it's going to take place.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

yeah. like 100 years further in the future from those times.

The problem is that if you do a series before Kirk, then you have the problem of trying to make things look "older" than TOS, but still futuristic to us in the 21st century. But the TOS stuff looks pretty dated already since it was done in the 1960's. The new movies handled it by splitting into a new universe and therefore advancing the "old" series into something that looks futuristic to us today. But I think the problem of the "older future" is part of the reason "Enterprise" failed. And it sure as heck is making this new series look like crap as far as the starships go.

Much easier to just jump the series ahead another 100 years from the TNG time period and then make a futuristic looking star trek, along with new inventions and so on.
                          I thought the NX Enterprise kind of had the feel more along the lines of a modern navy ship and I didn't mind the retro-modern feel of the whole thing. I think what really did in Enterprise was that idiotic 'Temporal Cold War' story arc.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That is my guess. The whole thing puts off that vibe and the markings make it pretty obvious. My guess is about 2220 is when it's going to take place.
                            Enterprise took place around 2150 and Tos was 2260

I am not sure but to me this thing looks older than archers Enterprise

Comment

Enterprise took place around 2150 and Tos was 2260

I am not sure but to me this thing looks older than archers Enterprise
                              I think that's because it looks to me like it's not a finished version of the render.

From what I've read it is based on one of the early designs Ralph McQuarrie did for what the Enterprise was to look like

This Is McQuarrie's design:
                              evma8naqw1zkmjfthkfb.jpg
                              Last edited by Raphael; 07-25-2016, 08:34 PM.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/S..._of_the_Titans More on the McQuarrie design

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X