Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Apocalypse of John, by Charles C. Torrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apocalypse of John, by Charles C. Torrey

Torrey's translation of his conjectured text of the Aramaic original of The Apocalypse of John ― i.e., an Aramaic text that only existed, per Torrey's thesis, during the Aramaic period of the nascent Christian Church:
    5When he opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say Come! And I saw, and lo, a black horse, and its rider had a balance in his hand. 6Then I heard a voice, seemingly from the midst of the four living creatures, saying, A measure of wheat for a denarius, and three measures of barley for a denarius, and harm not the oil and the wine.

Comment

Torrey's translation of his conjectured text of the Aramaic original of The Apocalypse of John ― i.e., an Aramaic text that only existed, per Torrey's thesis, during the Aramaic period of the nascent Christian Church:
      7When he opened the fourth seal, I heard the fourth living creature say, Come! 8And I saw, and lo, a pale horse, and the name on its rider was Death; and Hades went along with him. They were given authority over a fourth part of the earth, to kill with the sword, and with famine and pestilence, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Comment

• Continued from the last post above ↑

9When he opened the fifth seal, I saw beneath the alter the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they had borne; 10and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, the holy and the true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth? 11To each of them a white robe was given, and they were told to rest a little longer, until the number should be complete of their fellow servants and and their brethren, who were to be killed, even as they had been.

Comment

12When he opened the sixth seal, I saw that there was a great earthquake; and the sun became backcloth, and the full moon became as blood, 13and the stars of heaven fell to the earth as the fig tree shaken by a gale throws down it unripe fruit. 14The sky disappeared, like a scroll that is rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place. 15Then the kings of the earth, and the magnates and chief captains, and the rich and the strong and every slave and freeman, hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains, 16saying to the mountains and the rocks,
          Fall on us and hide us
          from the face of him who sits on the throne,
          and from the wrath of the Lamb;
          17for the great day of their wrath has come,
          and who can stand before it?

Comment

7After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, so that no wind should blow on the earth or the sea or on any tree. 2And I saw another angel ascend from the rising of the sun with the seal of the living God; and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm earth and sea, 3saying, Harm not the earth or the sea or the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads. 4I heard the number of the sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, sealed from every tribe of the children of Israel.

Comment

5Of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand were sealed, of the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand, of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand, 6of the tribe of Asher twelve thousand, of the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand, of the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand, 7of the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand, of the tribe of Levi twelve thousand, of the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand, 8of the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand, of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand, of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand were sealed.

Comment

9After this, in my vision, lo, a great multitude which no man could number, from every nation and of all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and with palm branches in their hands. 10They cried out with a great voice, saying, Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb. 11And all the angels stood round the throne and round the elders and the four living creatures, and they fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12saying,
                Amen; Blessing and glory, and wisdom and
                thanksgiving and honor, and power and
                might be to our God, forever and ever; Amen.

Comment

Torrey's translation of his conjectured text of the Aramaic original of The Apocalypse of John ― i.e., an Aramaic text that existed, per Torrey's thesis, during the Aramaic period of the nascent Christian Church:
                  13Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, Who are these, clothed in the white robes, and whence did they come? 14I said to him, Sir, you know. He said to me,, These are they who came out of the great tribulation, and they washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
                  15Therefore are they before the throne of God,
                  and they serve him day and night in his temple;
                  he who sits on the throne will give them shelter.
                  16They shall hunger no more, nor thirst any more;
                  the sun shall not strike upon them, nor any
                  ..scorching heat;

17for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne
                  ..will be their shepherd,
                  and will guide them to springs of living water;
                  and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

Comment

Torrey's translation of his conjectured text of the Aramaic original of The Apocalypse of John ― i.e., an Aramaic text that existed, per Torrey's thesis, during the Aramaic period of the nascent Christian Church:
                    8 When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half a minute; 2and I saw that the seven angels who stand before God were given seven trumpets.

Comment

3Then another angel came and stood beside the alter, holding a golden censer, and he was given much incense, the prayers of the saints, to put on the golden alter before the throne; 4and the smoke of the incense (the prayers of the saints) went up before God from the hand of the angel. 5The angel took the censer and filled it with fire from the alter and threw it on the earth; and there were peals of thunder, fearful sounds, flashes of lightening and an earthquake.

Comment

6Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets made ready to sound them.

Comment

7The first angel sounded, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was thrown on the earth; a third of the earth was burnt up, a third of the trees were burnt up, and all green things were burnt up.

Comment

8The second angel sounded, and what appeared to be a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea; a third of the sea became blood, 9a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

Comment

10The third angel sounded, and down from heaven fell a great star blazing like a torch; it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. 11The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died of the waters because they were made bitter.

Comment

12The fourth angel sounded, and a third of the sun was smitten, also a third of the moon and of the stars, so that a third of their light should be darkened and the third part should illumine neither the day nor the night.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X