Business 101 - Shaking Hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business 101 - Shaking Hands

I have to shake a lot of hands in my business. You wouldn't believe how many people don't know how to properly shake hands. Cow Poke can probably tell you as his work involves a lot of handshaking too.

To me the worst is the limp shake. The person just holds out their hand like a wet noodle and doesn't do anything. You grasp their hand, and they don't grasp back. You are afraid you might break their hand so you don't squeeze. Then when you shake, they just let you lift and drop their hand like it is dead. That's the worst. Women are usually the ones who do that but sometimes guys will too. The guys are the worst when it happens.

Grasp the person's hand firmly (not like you are trying to break it. Generally both people will feel the right amount and settle on a common force amount) Then pump it up and down once or twice. Then let go.

Here is a little video:

My only addition would be to be sensitive to the fact that some people - a VERY SMALL NUMBER, I'd think - actually have a problem like neuropathy or something, where handshaking can be very painful. Usually, in my experience, they'll tell you.

Pretty much everything else is what Sparko said. We have a summer youth intern - he had a HORRIBLE handshake. He's a great kid, and I spent some time telling him about shaking hands, and the message it conveys. Now he's a very confident "solid" handshaker!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh, and you didn't show the top secret masonic handshake.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And we might add eye contact, too! Shaking hands while looking at the floor is purdy durn irritating.

Comment

And don't crush their fingers either. I had a candidate come In for an interview and went to shake his hand. I needed a cast for a week after it...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I can't shake hands as firmly as I used to, because of the arthritis in my hands.

Just maybe, people have other pain or issues that prevent a firm shake, as CP said.

Fist or elbow bumps work for me!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I was going to point out that some people can't shake hands. In my church we do a lot of hand shaking. I myself always, as a rule, very carefully shake older people's hands in case they have arthritis or something, and take a cue from their reaction.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                My only addition would be to be sensitive to the fact that some people - a VERY SMALL NUMBER, I'd think - actually have a problem like neuropathy or something, where handshaking can be very painful. Usually, in my experience, they'll tell you.

Pretty much everything else is what Sparko said. We have a summer youth intern - he had a HORRIBLE handshake. He's a great kid, and I spent some time telling him about shaking hands, and the message it conveys. Now he's a very confident "solid" handshaker!
                well yeah, like Brum. but he says he can't shake hands because it is too painful.

I know there are exceptions. But I think a lot of the problem is that their dads never taught them how to shake hands!

Now every once in a while I will be surprised by someone with a VICE GRIP who seems to think his job is to crush the bones in my hand. I like a firm handshake but I don't want to have to count my fingers afterwards.

Comment

Oh, and you didn't show the top secret masonic handshake.
                  it was in the video under "creepy"

Comment

And we might add eye contact, too! Shaking hands while looking at the floor is purdy durn irritating.
                    yeah, and saying "Nice to meet you" or similar. with a smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      well yeah, like Brum. but he says he can't shake hands because it is too painful.

I know there are exceptions. But I think a lot of the problem is that their dads never taught them how to shake hands!

Now every once in a while I will be surprised by someone with a VICE GRIP who seems to think his job is to crush the bones in my hand. I like a firm handshake but I don't want to have to count my fingers afterwards.
                      Lol. I have a friend who's a mechanic. So naturally he has very strong grip. He's a lot better at it now but we still brace ourselves for his handshake.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        I can't shake hands as firmly as I used to, because of the arthritis in my hands.

Just maybe, people have other pain or issues that prevent a firm shake, as CP said.

Fist or elbow bumps work for me!
                        I am generally gentler when shaking a woman's hand. but women should still try to have a firm handshake if they can. If you do have a problem with arthritis or something, just speak up. No shame in that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          I was going to point out that some people can't shake hands. In my church we do a lot of hand shaking. I myself always, as a rule, very carefully shake older people's hands in case they have arthritis or something, and take a cue from their reaction.
                          yeah if someone is obviously old and frail, I will be gentile and let them control the amount of pressure and just try to match it. In fact that is a good rule to follow whenever you are not sure. Let them control the pressure and just try to match it, not going less or more. Hopefully they won't be a limp fish and make it all awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I am generally gentler when shaking a woman's hand. but women should still try to have a firm handshake if they can. If you do have a problem with arthritis or something, just speak up. No shame in that at all.
                            Yeah, you can adjust, cause some women do have firm handshakes, and you can reciprocate. But I'm more cautious with women.

Yeah, I'm sexist.

Comment

And while shaking hands, you can use your hook on your other hand to relieve them of their bacon or other valuables.

Comment